Dr. Phil to air show today on SLEEP DISORDERS

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by sleepyinlalaland, Jan 24, 2006.

1. sleepyinlalaland

sleepyinlalaland New Member

Not a Phil-fan here, but I'm kinda intrigued as to what territory he may cover.

Unfortunately I won't be home today at that time and VCR is broken. Maybe others can post about how well (or flippantly) he addressed sleep disorders.

THANKS......Sleepy.
  2. katykat24

katykat24 New Member

3. Frustratedandtired

Frustratedandtired New Member

Flippantly....hahahaha. That just made me laugh. Thanks!
  4. sleepyinlalaland

sleepyinlalaland New Member

5. Greeneyes2

Greeneyes2 New Member

I saw Dr. Phil on sleep disorders, and in my opinion he did a good job of trying to explain these to the public.

I have to respectfully disagree about not very many people being able to relate to the guests he had and the problems he was talking about.

I have a grandson who walks in his sleep and a sister who used to eat in hers. I have had problems with night terrors my whole life and I think this is probably a lot more common than people want to admit. These where the three main topics he talked about that I can remember.

I don't always like Dr. Phil, but I think when I have seen him be short with people it is a good majority of the time when people sit on his show and say, "Yes I have a problem, but I am not going to do anything about it."

I have also seen him keep his calm, when if I was in his shoes I would have been screaming at these people for the way they are not getting it. As they say in 12 step groups, "Take what you like and leave the rest."

I have seen a lot of Dr. Phil bashing on this board, and I personally do not like it. His program is not supposed to be an replacement for actually going and getting the help we need. It is to educate people about the kinds of problems that are going on and that there is help and hope for the people who suffer from the kinds of things he talks about.

I believe if he ever does do a show on FMS and/or CFS he will do more for public awareness and understanding than we can ever dream of, and I hope this happens sooner rather that later.

I believe he has done alot more good than bad, and has brought some important issues to the attention of the general public.

This may not be a popular opinion on this subject, but I felt I needed to speak up and express my feelings on this subject.

Sorry this has gotten so long, I tryed to break it up so it would be easier to read.

Gentle hugs,
    Denise

[This Message was Edited on 01/25/2006]
  6. Kinsie

Kinsie New Member

It wasn't something I could personally relate to, but it was very interesting.

I think the one thing the Dr. Phil shows does, is bring out subjects that very little is talked about, and he shows that there is help out there for any kind of problem a person could have.

Wish he would do on on FM/CFS.

Kinsie
  7. jhmitch

jhmitch New Member

I'm sorry I missed the episode on night terrors and sleep-walking since it sounds like it was fascinating. It is hard to believe these things go on until you talk with those who have these disorders or the people who live with them.

Before Dr. Phil got his own show (and was on Oprah), I thought he was one of the sharpest people on TV.

Lately, however, his show has begun to remind me of a huge marketing campaign run amok (way too many ads, product tie-ins, promotions of his books, etc.)- and that is very disappointing.

Still, I continue to watch Dr. Phil - though I seriously doubt if we'll ever see a show mentioning FMS/CFIDS unless Dr. Phil (or one of his family members) develops these DDs.

Janice