Dr Podell Summit NJ - for FMS

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Brownie08, Dec 8, 2008.

1. Brownie08

Brownie08 New Member

Hi - I have an appt with Dr Podell coming up - I was wondering if anyone here has worked with him or has heard of him. Comes highly recommended!
  2. aftermath

aftermath New Member

I made an initial appointment with Dr. Podell a few years ago. He seemed like a nice enough guy and certainly has enough experience.

He tried to get me set up with CBT, which did not sit well with me. That turned me off--I ended up going with Dr. Levine in NYC.

Some on this forum don't like her because she is very blunt--that with the current state of medicine (2008), people with this disease are unlikely to see substantive improvement.

Still, she tries as hard as anyone to run down all the leads.
  3. Brownie08

Brownie08 New Member

When you say - CBT, do you mean Cognitive Therapy? That does not sit well with me either if that is the case. I would love to find a Dr in New Jersey....but I also want to find the best in the area and am willing to travel if necessary. So Dr Levine - I wil check her out too.
    Thanks for the post.
  4. aftermath

aftermath New Member

Yes, cognitive behavioral therapy--although it may have been by another name. He wanted to set up a meeting with an advanced practice nurse that he shares his practice with to help me "understand this illness, how not to push, etc."

I'm sorry, I'm not taking advice on how to relate to this illness from someone who has not walked a mile in the shoes of it. I feel like the living dead, yet I have managed (struggled) to work full time for over ten years since developing this illness. I should be GIVING advice on how to manage it, not taking it from someone who is not sick.

I like Dr. Levine a lot. Many on this board do not, because she is not going to tell you "I have an 80 percent success rate" like so many others falsely claim (watch for that number--you see often).

She is also unique that despite being in midtown Manhattan, she does not gouge prices like a lot of other doctors treating this illness. A lot of them are getting $5-600 for the first visit. I don't think that she even charges $300.
  5. Brownie08

Brownie08 New Member

So it is Dr Susan Levine? I work in Mid-Town so I guess this is not so bad. Thank you for the advice...I think I will give her a call tomorrow.

6. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

i think this woman travels very far to see levine regularly. she has a blog:

i couldn't stand levine when i saw her but she may have changed her technique a little since then.

if i were you and could travel, there is no question that i would go to dr. a. martin lerner in MI.

best of luck