Dr said I have a high inflamation count in blood

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by cay24dive, Aug 20, 2002.

1. cay24dive

cay24dive New Member

Mr Dr called back after blood tests and said I had a high inflamation count in my blood but really did not explain much more, anyone else run into that problem?
    Thanks Erin
  2. cay24dive

cay24dive New Member

Mr Dr called back after blood tests and said I had a high inflamation count in my blood but really did not explain much more, anyone else run into that problem?
    Thanks Erin
  3. deecrossett

deecrossett New Member

Yes Erin. It is commonly called a SED Rate and there are too many here to count who have had this test with a high outcome. Doctors don't usually give you a reason, at least mine hasn't, but mine has run in the high one hundred seventies and has been high for 3 years. I put it down to obviously there is an inflamation and hopefully it doesn't get worse. Otherwise, my Doctor's will have to find out what it is, whether they like it or not. What ever happened to good customer service. After all, we are their customers and are paying them plenty for their so called service. I hope you have a good day, Deena
  4. granmama

granmama New Member

I would suggest you contact your doctor's office and ask the nurse to go over your test results, specifically, the one on inflammation and send you a copy.

My primary doctor ran a CRP (c-reactive protein)test and if elevated indicates there is some inflammation going on.
    It also has been noted as a marker for early heart disease.

Mine was elevated and I was sent to a rheumatologist, because of my joint/muscle pain. He is the one who dx me with FM.
    Earlier tests from my primary showed negative for RA and Sed Rate was normal.

Good luck,
    granmama

5. clprez

clprez New Member

For some reason, he doesn't trust that the labs run the SED rate correctly. He said that there is a time limit from when the blood was drawn till the time it is tested, and sometimes they run it too late, and you get a false positive. Now this is based on my memory, but I think I remember it pretty well.

If you've had multiple high SED rates, like deena, then that usually means something. I can't believe the doctors haven't done anything about your's deena. My sisters was 158, (along with some other horrible numbers) and they put her in the hospital right away!

If this is your first high one, then I agree with what granmama says and ask for a C-reactive protein.

Carol
  6. CarolK

CarolK New Member

Erin -- Ask your doctor if a high sed rate could be a problem known as "PMR"... polymyalgia rheumatica. When my sed rate was elevated my doctor confirmed that it was indeed PMR. I had low grade fevers, and a very bad gelling feeling in my joints when I got up from a sitting position. Aside from fibromyalgia symptoms, I had the feeling like I had the flu 24/7. Do an internet search on the word "polymyalgia rheumatica" and you will find a list of symptoms. If you are experiencing some of the sysmptoms ask your doctor to check you out for PMR. I had to go on anti-inflammatory medication for a year to get it back to a normal sed rate. Don't panic, check your symptoms with your doctor!! It may mean nothing. Hope this helps... Carol K
    [This Message was Edited on 08/21/2002]