Dr. said scoliosis linked to FM. Anyone else?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by klarry, Jul 11, 2003.

1. klarry

klarry New Member

I recently saw the orthopedist after tearing a muscle in my leg. I have seen this same doctor many times before, but this time he spent more time with me discussing my FM. He thinks that my scoliosis may have set me up to develop FM. I am curious to see if anyone else with FM also has scoliosis.
    Thanks for any input. You all are my research panel, and my anonymous friends!
  2. tandy

tandy New Member

Years ago when I started having alot of back problems,scoliosis was found on a MRI of my spine....along with 2 herniated disks~ I was told that having the curvature would make me more suseptable to back aches.(boy were the Drs. right on that one!)I also have Fibro.
    I've heard of other members here saying that they too have scoiliosis.
  3. Chelz

Chelz New Member

Hello. I have FMS, but no scoliosis, however, a friend of mine has scoliosis and FMS. Hugs, Chelz.
  4. DeeDoll

DeeDoll New Member

I had a spinal fusion using a Harrington Rod for scoliosis when I was 14 years old. I am now 55 years old and have been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia. Have any others had this same surgery?
  5. pearls

pearls New Member

In "Fibromyalgia and Chronic Myofascial Pain," Dr. Starlanyl said that trigger points in the quadratus lumborum (layers of muscles along the spine) can cause a functional scoliosis ("functional" was italicized). "The muscles get so contractured on one side, and lengthened on the other, that the bones are moved out of alignment. It is very important that this be taken care of as soon as possible before arthritic changes occur." (The words, "very important," were italicized.)

Dr. Starlanyl says more about these trigger points, but nothing more about functional scoliosis, or even just plain scoliosis.

A chiropractor took x-rays of my spine once and told me I had scoliosis, but that my body had compensated well for it when I was a child. However, while I add my own experience to this discussion, I think we need to be very careful about reading much into how many of us answer positive to questions posed here. If we get ten positive answers, we should ask, "Ten positive answers out of how many people who have read this? Ten of 100 would really be something, but ten of 3,000 would be something else entirely.

Hugs,
    -Pearl
  6. kmelodyg

kmelodyg New Member

I also do have severe Soliosis along with herniated disks in my back. I do see how it has contributed to many of my painful symptoms. OUCH!!!!

Kathryn
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

When she was a child, the surgery was all the rage and I was scared to death that hers would get worse and we would have to consider the surgery. Thank God it didn't. I worked for orthopedic surgeons and saw what people went through.

Love, Mikie
  8. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

Yes, I have scoliosis. It's mild - that is I don't have any pain. I was 12 when I was diagnosed (I'm 52 now). My mother kept trying to shorten my skirts and they wouldn't come out even. She finally realized that I was crooked - not the tape measure! I was given exercises to do but never did them. My right hip is higher than the left. I still have trouble when I go to have clothes shortened. I'm sure it is a factor in the FMS.

Annette2
  9. Applyn59

Applyn59 New Member

I was diagnosed with scoliosis when I was
    in jr. high I believe. I have was given exercises
    for it as well. All through my life I have been
    plagued with back problems and in 1991 I had
    back surgery for a bilateral herniation with
    free fragments in my spine. The surgery wasn
    not successful and I have been on SSDI ever
    since. Three years later, the FMS.

WHen I was in Jr high, one of my best friends
    had the Harrington Rod surgery. ANother
    good friend was also diagnosed with mild
    scoliosis. Neither one has FMS to my knowledge.

Lynn
  10. Jorbax

Jorbax New Member

It was discovered that I had scoliosis when I was 18 yrs....
    I had 45 dregree angle curvatures...(spine looked like a backward "S")...Had spinal fusion surgery w/ bone from hip and insertion of Herrington Rods. Had to have the rods removed 10 years later due to Bursitis developing.
    Anyway, now at 40 have arthritis of the spine along w/ a slightly bulging disc w/ leg/foot numbness.....
    Noone's ever mentioned this being related to the FM so I don't know about that one......the arthritis is related due to just plain trauma on the spine from the surgery, but ?
    Good luck.....let us know how things fo for you and if anyone relates this any further!
  11. franners

franners New Member

I have cervical spondylosis and radiculitis, protrusion of c2 and c3....... Does this count???
  12. Kim

Kim New Member

Also I have a friend with scoliosis and FM
  13. pearls

pearls New Member

From what I've read (Starlanyl and Davies), just about any kind of disfunction can lead to trigger points, which many - or perhaps most - of us with FMS have. Trigger points refer pain to parts of the body other than where the trigger points are, and often LOTS of pain, which makes our FMS worse. It seems logical to me that scoliosis would certainly create trigger points. Now, trigger points don't cause FMS, but again, they often accompany FMS.

Two questions:

1) What's the rate of scoliosis in the general population?

2) I forgot (L.O.L.)

Love,
    Pearl
  14. fibrorebel

fibrorebel New Member

Three curvatures and spurring in my neck, don't know if there is a connction, but I sure know they don't compliment one another at all! love, Rebel
  15. Echo2

Echo2 New Member

after all of my research I am beginning to think she may have FM - has tiredness, lots of headaches, back pain all the time, etc. I am going to refer her to this board, which is such a great place for all of us.
    Echo2
  16. starstella

starstella New Member

and ralph, that the muscular problems caused by scoliosis can create trigger points. As pearls stated, the trigger points in themselves are not FM. I'm sure that FM amplifies the pain of the trigger points created by scoliosis. I've read that 2 percent of the adult population has some degree of scoliosis (and that percent seems low, probably because there are many people with undiagnosed mild scoliosis). It would be interesting the know what percent of FMers have scoliosis, but scoliosis should not be the cause of FM.

my physical therapist is sure that my 8 inch abdominal scar from a surgery 25 years ago is a cause of much of my trigger point problems. but that is not the cause of my FM.

many people refer to trigger point problems and myofacial pain syndrome as FM. Klarry, I wonder if that is what your orho doc was doing.
  17. JP

JP New Member

I have scoliosis too. Mine is pretty mild. My doctor believes that my FM developed from chronic back pain. She believes that FM is more of a secondary condition...which seems to follow the basic premise regarding this condition. Many of us developed FM after something happened...somewhat of a secondary response to an already existing condition or event.

Hope your muscle tear is healing...Jan