Dr. Sanjay Gupta got the Swine Flu!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ulala, Sep 23, 2009.

1. ulala

ulala New Member

He explains it in his blog. Interesting that he had to get IV fluids because he couldn't keep anything down. I don't think many people will be able to get IV fluids at home, as they have advised people to stay home.

2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I like him.

I react horribly to flu shots so I will not be getting the Swine Flu vaccine. I work with the public and will just have to take my chances.

Here is a perfect example of our broken healthcare system. Those with good access will get the treatment needed. Many will probably die if they get the flu because they have poor access, no insurance, etc.

Love, Mikie
  3. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

My son came home sick two days ago. I called his Dr. asking what to look for - what the differences are in the 'regular flu' and the swine flu. He said that 98% of what he is seeing is the swine flu since it is not the regular Influenza season yet. I got the impression that they were seeing everyone in the beginning then realizing that most WERE the swine flu so weren't requiring everyone to come in - just advising them to watch for certain things, if they got worse etc.
    In our area the absentee rates at the schools are ridiculously high. One school had 23% of the kids out sick.

My boss will not allow me to come into the office since I have been exposed.

I like Sanjay too!
  4. ulala

ulala New Member

17-year old daughter was crying because she was so sick with the flu. I asked her if it was the swine flu. She said the doctor didn't say which flu it was, but gave her daughter antibiotics. Antibiotics for the flu?

In Los Angeles the fact that many people don't have insurance will lead to poor treatment options, and people not getting the vaccine can make for swine flu soup.

Sanjay Gupta is a very likeable doctor. He certainly gets around![This Message was Edited on 09/24/2009]
  5. PVLady

PVLady New Member

Some suggestions from a article I read... If you go to the gov benefits site, make sure to check the federal as well as the state programs.

Consumer Reports says before a crisis hits, you should check whether you qualify for government insurance programs. "See if you qualify for Medicaid," said Nancy Metcalf from Consumer Reports. "And even if you don't, your children may qualify for the Children's Health Insurance program, or CHIP. And that's very good coverage."

Information is available at Insure Kids Now. If you don't qualify for Medicaid, some communities have federally subsidized health care centers that offer basic care.

These clinics treat everyone, and charge according to your income.
    "I'm so glad for this place because I can come here and get medical attention," said uninsured Mike Jenks.

Consumer Reports says for routine care, avoid the emergency room. Go there only when you have a real emergency.

"Hospitals do have to take you if you're having a true emergency, like a broken leg or chest pain," explains Metcalf. "But they can also send you a huge bill and be very aggressive about collecting it."

Also consider negotiating what to pay for care. Ask a clinic, doctor, or hospital for the discount that insurance companies get.

"Don't be shy. That discount could save you as much as half your bill," said Metcalf.
    Still, Mike Jenks says he envies the peace of mind that comes with health benefits.

There are approximately 7,000 federally subsidized health care clinics in the U.S. that charge on a sliding scale.

Below are two websites

GovBenefits.gov is a partnership of Federal agencies with a shared vision - to provide improved, personalized access to government assistance programs.

Mission of govbenefits.gov

•Use the Internet to connect citizens to government benefit program eligibility information
    •Increase access to information, particularly for people with disabilities
    •Reduce expense and difficulty of doing business with the government
    •Continue to add programs to become the single source for Federal, state, and local government benefit programs

Are there government benefit programs available to help you?

GovBenefits.gov will help you answer that question. Our online screening tool is free, easy-to-use, and completely confidential. We do not require your name, phone number, Social Security number, or any other information that could be used to identify you.

You answer a series of questions about yourself, and then GovBenefits returns a list of government benefit programs you may be eligible to receive, along with information about how you can apply.

Whether it's a direct payment, loan, insurance, training, or other services - there may be government benefit programs available to help you. To get started, go to the homepage, choose either Locate Federal or State Benefits, Browse by Category, or Get Results by Questionnaire.

How can the GovBenefits.gov benefit locator assist you?

•Search a public database of more than 1,000 government benefits
    •View and print customized benefit lists that include program contact information
    •Find relatively unknown benefits for which your clients may be eligible
    •Empower your clients to find help on their own, from any computer with Internet access

Why should you encourage your clients to use GovBenefits.gov?

•Free: This free online tool helps all US Residents find benefits
    •Easy-to-Use: Complete the anonymous questionnaire and GovBenefits.gov will immediately provide a list of programs for which you may qualify and information about how to apply
    •Confidential: It is completely confidential; the tool will never ask for identifiable information such as your name, phone number, or social security number

Contact Information

For additional information, please email GovBenefits@dol.gov or call 1-800-FED-INFO (1-800-333-4636) Monday - Friday, 8:00am-8:00pm Eastern Time.

HRSA.gov (Health Resources and Services Administration)
    Federally-funded health centers care for you, even if you have no health insurance. You pay what you can afford, based on your income. Health centers provide
    •checkups when you're well
    •treatment when you're sick
    •complete care when you're pregnant
    •immunizations and checkups for your children
    •dental care and prescription drugs for your family
    •mental health and substance abuse care if you need it
    Health centers are in most cities and many rural areas. Type in your address and click the 'Find Health Centers' button to find health centers near you.

[This Message was Edited on 09/25/2009]
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

We have a clinic for those without insurance who meet minimum income levels here and they do so much good work. Unfortunately, the mentality of using the ER's is still prevalent.

I am still amazed by the number of people coughing and sneezing all over without covering their mouths and noses. Even when they do, they usually use their hands. Doesn't anyone watch "Sesame Street?" Elmo demonstrates the elbow technique. The docs are trying to get the word out too.

I got my current cold from an employee who was so sick she belonged home in bed. She attended a meeting and coughed up sputum, using tissue and her hands. Aack! She did go over to wash her hands after a particularly hideous coughing spasm but she spread her illness all over the place. She was out on the line, handling people's food.

I was exposed on Wed. and by Sat., I got the sore throat, which ushers in the rest of the cold. As often happens, it went into my chest and yesterday, I had to see the doc for my bronchitis. So, even though it is a cold, it has morphed into a bacterial infection of my lungs.

I am lucky in one respect; I am off for a week. The bad news is that I took off to be with my family on vacation. The thoughtlessness of that one employee not only made me sick but ruined my much-needed vacation. People need to stay home when they are infectious.

Hope everyone here stays well through this epidemic.

Love, Mikie
  7. ulala

ulala New Member

I was at Costco last week and there was a woman handing out samples. I walked around a little but and heard someone violently coughing. I tunred around and it was her! I watched for awhile and saw that she gave out the samples and then coughed when the person walked away. Even if they're wearing gloves the germs get on the gloves. No more Samples for me!

Kind Regards and Good Health!
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Ulala, that is horrible. What's wrong with people?

I've been on Septra since Fri. I am just soooo tired with this. If I don't take my Corcidan, I cough a lot but there is less and less phlegm. I feel lightheaded and think it's probably my stuffy head and ears causing it. I need to get over to Target and fill my Rx for the nasacort. It really helps clear up my head. My inhaler helps with the coughing and congestion too. This is nasty stuff. Thing is that the woman who exposed me to this already was into bronchitis when she came in to work. I'm trying not to be angry with her but it ain't easy.

I don't take samples, especially prepared food, anywhere anymore.

Stay well.

Love, Mikie
  9. Shirl

Shirl New Member

It is horrible. I had extreme high fever, sinuses stuffed up, terrible cough made my whole chest/ribcage hurt. The cough lasted for weeks after the fever was gone.

I had muscle cramps from my toes to my fingers (literally), like a body builder who over worked out. Naturally have a low immune system, it lasted a good two weeks or more.

All I took was honey/lemon, Oregano oil under my nose so I could breathe, and Breathe Right Tea/with rose hips/honey included in it.

Drank a lot of juice, Gatorade, water, ate pudding, yogurt, and toast/butter. I was never so sick with a flu in my life.

I had so much fever I called a friend, do not remember it and she kept me on the phone for hours. She knew I was sick and alone.

I do not remember calling her! She called me a few days later and told me that I had called her, and that she kept me on the phone just talking to me. I still do not remember talking to her!

If you get the Swine flu you will know it, its not like the average flu by a longshot! You would not be able to go anywhere the fever is so bad. Unless you went in a fever haze, like I made the phone call I didn't remember.

I do not remember letting my dogs in and out or even feeding them, although I did do it. I sort of remember staggering around the house with the bathoom!

I hope none of you get it!

Shalom, Shirl