Dr. says costochondritis

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Sheila1366, May 21, 2010.

1. Sheila1366

Sheila1366 New Member

I finally made it into the dr. today. He said that this is what was wrong with me. I am relieved it is not my heart. Now I take aleve and wait for it to go away. He said it could take 4-6 weeks. I asked what causes it and he said no one knows. Oh well, another unanswered question.
  2. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Hi Sheila - Four to six weeks for costochondritis doesn't sound right. My sister-in-law has it, along with FM, and she was told to expect it to take at least one year. She has now had it for close to two years and it isn't getting any better.
  3. kat0465

kat0465 New Member

sorry you have the dreded C word, i too suffer and i mean suffer with it bad.i can tell you i had it for about 6 months before i saw an improvement.

although i was still working when it was at it' worse. try not to push or Pull on things and no doing things with your hand over your head,all of this makes it way worse.

Hot showers, and a heating pad, Ibuprophen, and no exertion is what helped me the most.
    i am probably 80% better, but it dosnt take much to make it flare. be careful!!
    Glad it's not your heart, but it sure is miserable.

Hope your feeling better soon
  4. Sheila1366

Sheila1366 New Member

The pain can be unreal. Like this morning not only does it hurt in the center of my chest but it hurts all in my ribs, under my arms and between my shoulder blades. My heart even flutters and skips beats. Not sure why that is. I have read that it last longer than 6 weeks for many people. Lucky me. I wentt for a walk yesterday and was only able to walk 5 minutes cause the pain was so bad. Ibuprofren is not helping. The dr. wanted to put me on lyrica but I said no, tried it before and nothing. I guess I am gonna suffer for awhile, just what I needed. More pain. I am such a complainer this morning, sorry.
  5. kat0465

kat0465 New Member

i so feel your pain, i can only say with time, and lots of doing nothing you will start feeling better.
    for what its worth my heart skips around a lot too, those muscles are so close to the heart i guess it kinda makes it act up. and severe pain affects a lot of body systems.

and yes i have/had the between the shoulderblade pain, it feels like a knife is stickin out of your back it's so painful!!!

Get on that heating pad, take a hot shower and pop something anti inflammatory, it's about all you can do

Thinking about you and i promise there will be better days ahead