Dr. Shoemaker's Neurotoxin Exposure Test

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by klutzo, Dec 6, 2002.

1. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I just went to the "chronic neurotoxins" website, as listed in ProHealth's newest edition of their Newsletter, and took this $8.95 test for exposure to neurotoxins (including ciguatoxin mentioned in recent posts).
    The preliminary questionairre had two parts, both of which came out positive for me.
    But, the actual vision test, which was really straining on the eyes, came out negative for Neurotoxin exposure.
    Some of you who are worried about this as a possible part of your illness might want to try out this test.
    You can reach the site by using the two words I put in quotes and adding a dot com. Since ProHealth included the web address in their newsletter, I don't think they'll mind my saying this.
    I have long wondered if the new cabinets in my home installed right before I became ill had anything to do with my FMS, and $8.95 was cheap for the peace of mind I got.
    Klutzo
    Klutzo
  2. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I just went to the "chronic neurotoxins" website, as listed in ProHealth's newest edition of their Newsletter, and took this $8.95 test for exposure to neurotoxins (including ciguatoxin mentioned in recent posts).
    The preliminary questionairre had two parts, both of which came out positive for me.
    But, the actual vision test, which was really straining on the eyes, came out negative for Neurotoxin exposure.
    Some of you who are worried about this as a possible part of your illness might want to try out this test.
    You can reach the site by using the two words I put in quotes and adding a dot com. Since ProHealth included the web address in their newsletter, I don't think they'll mind my saying this.
    I have long wondered if the new cabinets in my home installed right before I became ill had anything to do with my FMS, and $8.95 was cheap for the peace of mind I got.
    Klutzo
    Klutzo
  3. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

Interesting, I will try that soon.

Jaci
  4. sb439

sb439 New Member

yesterday evening, came out positive on both preliminary tests (bet most of us will), but then the test screen didn't come up right - no bars at all, no 'ready' button. So either my brain is so neurotoxic that I can't even see the test screen ;-), or something else is wrong. (My computer satisfies all specification requirements.) Anyone else this problem?

Would in any case be very interested how others do on this test, please keep us posted.

Slightly disappointing: they say one comes out neurotoxic also with mercury toxicity in the brain, but their treatment doesn't help for that. (They also claim nothing can be done for mercury toxicity in the brain, which seems to me plain false.)

Susanne
  5. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I got no "ready" button or green light either. If you read the pre-test info, it said sometimes you won't get one.
    The bars are VERY hard to see and they are supposed to be. Did you follow instructions and use a measuring tape to make sure you sit with your eyes exactly 18 inches from the screen, and with the same amt. of light you use when reading, and with your vision corrected to at least 20/50?
    The way it worked was I would click on "left" or "right" or "up" depending on what I saw, and then the next set of bars would come up immediately. I did the whole test in just a couple of minutes. If you truly could not see the bars at all, maybe you do have a problem, or maybe you need new glasses? You must have a 16 inch or larger screen also, as indicated in the directions. Do you have one of the old 15 inch computer screens? I hope you e-mailed them and got your money back, at least! Sorry it didn't work for you.
    Klutzo
  6. sb439

sb439 New Member

I followed the instructions exactly, and I have a screen the right size, also sat 18" away from it covered one eye, etc. So maybe I do have a problem. But perhaps you can help me finding this out. All I see is this:

A ca 4" squarish box outlined in light brown or something, in the middle of the screen towards the top. In that box, at the bottom, four small boxes outlined the same way, with right, left, up, unsure written in them. The background of the entire screen is whitish. Still in the box, in black small writing 1 of 45, which turns to 2 of 45, etc. when I click one of the little boxes, also in black "cover your left eye". That's all

Here are my questions: What would one see if one could see anything? is it in that box? what does it look like? what colour is it? and do the tasks get progressively more difficult? (I know my brain is dysfunctional, but that much???)

many thanks.
    Susanne
    (I e-mailed them yesterday, but haven't had a response yet.)

[This Message was Edited on 12/07/2002]
  7. klutzo

klutzo New Member

That box sitting all by itself in the middle of the screen, above the choice boxes (ie. left, right, up, not sure) should have black lines in it. The lines may be many thin lines, a couple of thick ones, or inbetween ones, and they are either straight up and down or leaning to the left or right. The "blackness" is very pale. I think that is in order to force you to focus all of your attention on it. If you can't see it at all, something is wrong with the program or with you. I hope it turns out to be the former! Keep us posted.
    Klutzo
  8. sb439

sb439 New Member

I guess as soon as I manage to lure another person in front of my computer screen, I'll know which one it is. I'll let you know.
    Susanne