Dr. Visit and Anxiety

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kwsmom, Sep 23, 2008.

1. kwsmom

kwsmom New Member

Thanks for all your responses yesterday about an alternative to Xanax for anxiety. I had a visit with my pain Dr. this a.m. She is still being hesitant about giving me anything for anxiety. I already take half a trazadone at night for sleep and she told me to increase to a whole tablet. Because I haven't been sleeping well she thinks that might be the cause of so much anxiety. She told me to call her and let her know if it is not working. So I will do as she asked and then will go from here. All I know is I am miserable with these attacks and then as you all know the cycle starts again, worse pain, worse everything. Thanks
  2. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

You might want to consider Mindfulness Based Therapy if you can afford it or if you have insurance which will cover.

The Mindfulness based therapy described in the link below is a psychological hybrid of Mindfulness and Cognitive Behavioral Therapy techniques. This link has a really good explanation of CBTs shortcomings and how mindfulness addresses them.

If you find it interesting you can do some more googling -- there's lots of information out there. If you're in a large city, there's probably someone practicing this near you.

Mindfulness was popularized among, and taught to, doctors, psychologists and psychotherapists by Jon Kabat-Zinn who has written some great books on the subject.

I practice traditional Mindfulness Meditation and find it amazingly helpful.

Peace to you,
  3. bre_ann

bre_ann New Member

but I think you should push your dr. to rx it for you. There's nothing wrong with taking it.