Dr. visits and getting past being overweight?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fibrobutterfly, Sep 11, 2006.

1. I dread going to a new dr. or actually any dr. , when I tell them my complaints I can see the look and the smile, and their thinking well if you would only lose weight. I know it would help but not the main problem I am sure.
  2. kirbycat

kirbycat New Member

I know what you mean as I have gained about 45lbs in a little over 1 year. I know it's due to not working. I worked in a busy emergency dept. I think I just ran it off. I have always struggled with weight since I was young. But sports and work kept it down somewhat. I've never been skinny!

I don't think I eat that much more, I just don't move any more.

I'm afraid that over the years to come, I'll look like Jabba-the-hut.

Chubby in Ga.
    Cathy
  3. I think thats my problem, I don't/can't move as much as I used to. I sure don't eat anymore, actually I don't eat much, you would think I would be thin.
  4. tata1580

tata1580 New Member

I exactly what I thought this morning when I got up and went into the bathroom and looked into the mirror....AHHHHH

I know we (my hubby and I) do not eat nearly as much as we used to I agree I don't move as much either...you would think there would be some kind of a wash there

I had a dr tell me once that when you don't sleep your body knows it is needing something just not sure what so it starts packing fat away to use...I don't know if it is so...but it did make me feel some better...for some reason.

I have never been a skinny rail either but this is really getting on my nerves..

I often wonder if there is something else going on...hormones or something?

Tami
    [This Message was Edited on 09/12/2006]
  5. Kayleen

Kayleen New Member

I am overweight also. I read that the problem is our body is not burning the food for fuel it is storing it as fat.
    That's why we don't have any energy. I don't overeat but I have also gained 45 pound in the past couple years. I am active. Up and down stairs...in and out of stores. You'd think I'd be skinny. It is very depressing to look in the mirror. If I don't eat hardly anything trying to lose weight I get sick to my stomach and weak. It's the pits!
    k
  6. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

Ok, these docs are really single minded aren't they?

I wasn't diagnosed until after I lost 52lbs! I went from 206 to 154 over the course of about 8 months doing Atkins and Body Flex exercise progam. (I don't recommend Atkins, it worked, but I don't really think it's healthy and I missed my apples!! And, I can't do the exercise program most of the time due to my back.)

I thought much of my pain was because of my weight, at least the pain in my hips and legs. Didn't explain the hand, arm, neck, shoulder, etc. pain though.

I will repost my before and after pics. Weight made no difference for me!

Don't let them intimidate you!

Hugzz
    Greenbean

Stop and smell the puppies!

PS. Just posted it in my profile. This is from the Body Flex site. I was in their infomercial.

Smiles and giggles!
    [This Message was Edited on 09/12/2006]
  7. Noahvale

Noahvale New Member

I hear what your saying Fibrobutterfly. I have fought being overweight all of my life. I was once down to a size 12 about 5 years ago, and thats when all H*** broke loose. I was excersing and feeling good about myself until, I realized my body ached so bad I didn't know what to do. I couldn't feel my toes..then it was my legs and then It was getting impossible for me to stand. The PA I seen said it was just my age and the older we get the more our bodies rebel to getting fit and excersing. I knew better and started to slow down a little and the next thing ya know I came to a dead end...excersing is what got me into this mess and everytime I even tried to walk a little or stretch my body hurt with every move. Since I had to have ESI in my spine and other treatments for my back I haven't been back to excersing and have gained about 30 pounds. I wish there was a magic pill or potion that would get me back to where I was then because I just don't have the energy or gusto to excersize anymore. This is the way God wanted it to be, and this is the way I will be staying.....

I am sorry that you have a fear of seeing your doctor because of this , but the next time your in there stand up for yourself and tell them the way it is..Your there because of your FM and not because of your weight. Tell them that you have excepted the size that you are and they will just have to get over it and find something else to wine about because the weight loss cinerio(spell?) is getting old and they need to get on with trying something new for you.

I have done this and it works..they still bring up my weight and everytime I always say..you have that magic wand in your pocket because I am comfortable with the way I am.

I hope this helps Fibrobutterfly..It has helped me to stand up to my doctors in the past.

God bless, and good luck to you!

Noahvale--Kathy
  8. Redwillow

Redwillow New Member

I have also noticed that doctors focus on weight. It is funny because the 2 biggest weight gains that I have had since my diagnosis was from taking anti depressants that my doctor wanted me to take.

So between meds and a slower lifestyle I too have gained weight. (at least 50 plus pounds) Also when I first quit my job and then got my diagnosis I was so angry, stressed, frightened.... add all the emotions here, I was feeling them all, that I turned into an eating machine!

I have been doing alot of reading lately on overeating, and eating for emotional reasons. Basically diets don't work. They make you fatter. So I am trying to work on eliminating my fight with food and getting in touch with the emotions that I am feeling and why I am really eating.

I know that the more I beat myself up about the way I look and my health issues the more I eat. I am working on loving myself!

hugs Marion (Redwillow)
    [This Message was Edited on 09/14/2006]
  9. cc0526

cc0526 New Member

For the last 7 years or so when I started suffering from what I now know is CFIDS, I too believed all the crap I got from every doctor I saw. You overweight... of course your tired. Or your depressed, depression causes fatigue and then you don't exercise and then you gain weight and they you are depressed..... AHHH.

It's never ending I know.

Well if you've read my profile, number 1, I'm impressed, I can't even read it in one sitting :) But, number 2 you'd know that I've been down that road.

I had gastric bypass surgery about a year and a half ago and have lost 130 lbs and am not at a normal weigt. Only now am I getting the attention and care I deseverved the last 7 years. Can't blame it on my weight anymore!

So sorry for what you are going through. Wish I knew how to help. Just keep fighting for yourself. Keep fighting until you find someone who will listen.

Best wishes,
    Patty
  10. marsupialmama

marsupialmama New Member

all the doctors see is the weight. makes me sick. they even prescribe meds and say "it doesn;t really work for people over 200 lbs." Well i am over 200 lbs, why don't you treat the person in front of you?! I'm hurting NOW and I can't do anything because I hurt!

Been struggling with weight all my life and my mom did before me. I grew up watching her go to these ghastly diet clubs and weight loss places.

I plan to join a gym and try to get more fit, i don't care if I am never skinny but I want to get rid of the belly from having babies. I hate it. :-(

<sigh>
  11. StephieBee

StephieBee New Member

I could understand if the doc was commenting on your weight because he knew it would be beneficial to your overall health...including the FM/CFS etc. But if he is being snappy and rude...now that is just out of line!

I was in the ER one day, and a woman came to give me the papers to release me. Somehow the subject of my getting the subject of me being in the process of getting in the LapBand came up (Ive had it done since then in March)...I think we were talking about pain.

Well she looked at me and said...dont you think that is a little extreme? you are not even that overweight!

How the heck does she know. Yes, I do look lighter for my actual weight...but it is none of her business to throw her comments in! Boy did I give her heck.

I told her...you dont know me, you dont know anything about me, my health, my family history or anything. Blah Blah Blah...you get the jist.

I hate people that throw in their $0.02 when it is not appropriate.

Stephanie
  12. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

Thanks, Jan! I'm having trouble maintaining right now and have to be really careful.

They keep bringing things to work like pizza, breakfast buritos, and donuts and then tease me when I won't eat them. I've always felt like it was just plain mean to give someone who is watching their weight such a bad time about not eating what they shouldn't.

I really don't feel that weight is a major contributor to our illnesses.

Hugzz
    Greenbean

Stop and smell the puppies!
  13. BEARANDBUGSMOM

BEARANDBUGSMOM New Member

am thinking the same thing...he's gonna look atme and say well lose weight...I hope not I know that I need to lose a lot of weight due to the fact that I am in that wonderful morbidly obese catagory. But even when I was thinner I still was very tired and suffered from very bad brain fog!

Blessings,
    Kelly
  14. tonakay

tonakay New Member

I don't think fm/cfs gives a HOOT what you weigh when it hits! Weight wasn't an issue with me and it hit with both barrels... grrrrrrr.

Hugz,
    Tona