Dr wants a frozen cortisol test -Update

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ckball, Jul 27, 2006.

1. ckball

ckball New Member

I had blood work the other day. The office called today and she wants me to have an frozen cortisol level.

I don't know if something came back abnormal. I have blood work every 3 months, but I will get a copy tommorrow when I go for this other test. Any ideas? Carla
    [This Message was Edited on 07/28/2006]
  2. ckball

ckball New Member

bump-any had this?
  3. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

Carla .. I haven't heard of this test before .. I have low cortisol levels and went through an insulin tolerance test .. which I have no idea what it has to do with cortisol levels .. it was all a pain and didn't have reliable results ..needless to say I haven't seen that endocrinologist again ?
    Why is it you have blood work done every 3 months ?
    I don't mean to be nosy .. just wondering ..
    Hope all turns out well for you in any case !
    Joy : )
  4. ckball

ckball New Member

White Chocolate Macadaminia Nut is my favotite!

I have a great Dr and she sees me every 3 months. I get percocet, klonopin and ambien. So the week before my visit I go in and they run CBC, liver function, thyroid,etc.
    I also have high blood pressure, asthma and unexplainable blood in my urine.

Then when I go see her the next week she has all the info there.

I am not not sure the cortisol is because something was too high or too low. The nurse just said it had to be frozen and didn't have to be fasting.

Thanks for asking-Carla
  5. eeyoreblue02

eeyoreblue02 Member

When your cortisol levels are checked through your saliva, you have to spit into vials and freeze them and return them to the lab the next day.

Just a thought.

Linda
  6. ckball

ckball New Member

because I didn't have to be fasting- I have never heard the the test you mentioned
  7. butterfly8

butterfly8 New Member

I had a test that sounds a bit like this.

It was a 24 hour cortisol test. I had to collect saliva 4 times in a 24 hour period at home in supplied containers and freeze it each time and then send the 4 samples off to the lab. in a special package. The test measured my cortisol levels over a 24 hour period and showed that I had adrenal exhaustion. The saliva test results are apparently much more accurate than blood work and 24 hours is a better indicator than a one off test.

You can get extra info. on this sort of stuff if you google Dr. Wilson Adrenal Fatigue.
  8. ckball

ckball New Member

I got a copy of my test results from Mon- I am amenic, my red blood cell count is low, my MCV and MCH are too high and my T-4 is too low.

I have been on thyroid replacements since my 20's and haven't had to change my dosage for a few years now.

She is having a ACTH and Cortisol levels checked. I'll let you know what she finds- Carla