Dr wants others advice on pain meds for FS

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by deedeej, Dec 15, 2005.

1. deedeej

deedeej New Member

I have tried for 6 years to get some relief and to deal with my pain. I told the Dr about this board and he said to find out what the tried and worked pain killers are and we may try them.
    So far the last thing I am on is Celebrex and Trazidone for sleep.
    I take a thyroid pill and a hormeone replacment.
    Hope you can help
    Thanks
    Deedee
  2. jakeg

jakeg New Member

I've been taken vicodin for the pain now for about 5 months and they seem to work pretty well for me. If I take them as prescribed by the doc I feel really good although I don't like to take them all the time. Ionly take them now when the pain starts to get to the point where I can't stand it any more. I know by then it's a little late to take them but they still work just takes longer for the relief to come thats all.

Jake
  3. Bailey-smom

Bailey-smom New Member

I started on Ultracet because it is not a narcotic and switched to tramadol because it is the same thing w/o the tylonol which is better on my liver.

My whole thought process, after speaking with my pcp, was that I wanted to start out slow and if the tramadol works now I would have other options open later with some of the higher strength pain relievers. I have had a few vicodin in the past and they do work well - they are stronger.

Not everything works the same for everyone so you may have to just test the waters to see what works best for you. Good luck with your search:)

Kelly
  4. tngirl

tngirl New Member

Ultracet or ultram (generic is tramadol) seem to be used a lot.

I also have taken Lortab (there are different strengths available)

I take Lunesta for sleep because I have a sleep disorder. I also use a cpap machine because I have sleep apnea.

I have used muscle relaxers like skelaxin, baclofen, robaxin (not all at the same time) I have also taken valium which was prescribed for esophogeal spasms. I chose to deal with the spasms because it made me feel tired. But the valium worked better as an overall muscle relaxer for me than any I tried.

I have tried cymbalta, it helps a lot of people. It did help with my pain and elevated my mood. But I had other side effects and stopped.

I take Wellbutrin XL for depression

I take nexium for reflux

Zelnorm for IBS

I took Celebrex, it helped a lot since I have a great deal of arthritis, I have also taken Mobic. I stopped the anti inflammatories because of stomach problems. I would dearly like to be able to take them again!
  5. JLH

JLH New Member

What all have you tried for fibro that has not worked?

What I have found best for MY fibro symptoms are: Cymbalta and Neurotin.

Holiday Hugs,
    Janet

Edit - forgot: Zanaflex for sleep, as well as having a sleep study performed to find out that I have obstructive sleep apnea. I also sleep with a CPAP machine and oxygen.[This Message was Edited on 12/16/2005]
  6. lovinlifeinAK

lovinlifeinAK New Member

I am on synthroid, Effexor - then for pain we found the combination of Soma, Percocet, and Limbrel(started this one when dx with RA).

This has made it so I can work and make it through the day pretty much pain free. Depending on the weather - which has been killing me lately. Hope this helps.
  7. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

The pain medication that I began with was Hydrocodone 10/325 and that was for Migraines and joint pain before I knew about the CFS/FM. Hydrocodone is the generic name for Lortab,etc. I also took Neurontin prescribed by my GP. He sent me to a neurologist and he increased the Neurontin to 3 600 mg pills a day and gave me the same prescription for Hydrocodone. As other symptoms presented themselves and the doctors tied them together I was prescribed Percocet. This helped much better with the pain and I did not get rebound headaches like I did from the Hydrocodone. I didn't understand then and I still don't understand but the Hydrocodone gives me and others from the post I have seen on this message board an energy boast which is good for this disease but I found that I would want to take that medicine for that purpose and I didn't want to get into any problems with taking medicine for the wrong reason. The Percocet worked much better for the pain but it did not give an energy boost so I would only take medicine as needed. I then began having severe pain all over my body and it turned out that I then had FM to go along with the CFS. I was put on Oxycontin (20Mg) every 8 hrs. and given Percocet for break through pain. I was taken off Neurontin several months ago because of problems with it but have just added Lyrica 3 days ago. I think it may be helping and I have had the best sleep that I have had in many months. For night I take a .125 dose of Mirapex for RLS, Klonopin, & Trazodone along with my pain medicine. I still was not sleeping properly until I started the Lyrica. The Klonopin is a big help. It soothes your brain. Dr. Cheney & many other of the CFS/FM doctors prescribe it. It helps your overworked CNS. I am also taking Cymbalta . I started with 60mg. and have reduced it to 30mg. At first it was helpful for my mood but did nothing for my pain. Now it is not helping with my mood and if I forget to take it by only a few hours I have mood swings which I don't need. Hope this helps you. I know everyone is different but Celebrax is for inflammation not pain associated with CFS & FM.
  8. smiffy79

smiffy79 New Member

im on tramadol at 100mg three time a day

tizanidine at 2mg a day for spasms and cramps

amitriptyline at 50mg a night so i can get some craved for sleep.

i have been on buprenorphine a opiod patch and mst slow release morphine i came away from mst as i felt poisoned and sluggish but much better when it was out of my system.

i have been diagnosed fibromyalgia, me (cant spell it sorry), arthralgia and raynauds. i also have excema and hay fever (flixonase)
    this combo has ;eft me with more stamina lower pain levels but im still getting fatigued.
  9. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

Hydrocodone(generic for lortab,vicodin and other names that I don't know