Dr Weil and fibro recommends.....

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fibrobutterfly, Aug 15, 2008.

1. I guess these are what most of you talk about taking here, this is what he recommends

Try the following if you have fibromyalgia:

Eat well. A diet rich in organic fruits, vegetables, and whole grains will fortify your body's natural defenses and healing system.
    Eliminate polyunsaturated vegetable oils, margarine, vegetable shortening, all partially hydrogenated oils, and all foods (such as deep-fried foods) that might contain trans-fatty acids. Use extra-virgin olive oil as your main fat.
    Increase intake of omega-3 fatty acids.
    Eat ginger and turmeric regularly.
    Take supplements. In addition to a daily antioxidant regimen, take 250 mg of magnesium and 500-700 mg of calcium daily to help relax and maintain nerves and muscles. (However, I don't recommend calcium supplements for men.) Boswellia and malic acid have also been reported to be beneficial as a fibromyalgia treatment.
  2. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

didn't doctor andrew weil recommend exercise for CFS, which is now known to be dangerous?
  3. kitteejo

kitteejo Member

I take 10 supplements a day now with ZERO results. I'm not taking anything else.

I agree with Andrew!
  4. simonedb

simonedb Member

he seeemed innovative in the mid 80s with his book "from chocolate to morphine" but stuff I have read of him lately seemed ok but commonsensish not too involved in unraveling the mystery of this stuff
  5. Leaknits

Leaknits New Member

I'm wondering WHAT (not yelling, just emphasis) level the intake of omega-3 fatty acids dr w has in mind?
    And if he's talking about flax seed oil no thanks very much. I gulped down 1/2 tsp and found it was a big mistake. Proved Rule One about how Everybody's Different, though.

How much ginger, how much turmeric, and what would he mean when he says "Regularly?"

He seems to talk about a lot of exercise both for myalgic encephalomyelitis and fibromyalgia; his home site says he knows that exercise hurts but claims the pain will ease during the period of exercise. Right. Sure.

The last words in his recommendations, "Boswellia and malic acid have also been reported to be beneficial as a fibromyalgia treatment" are also about as clear as mud. How much Boswellia, how much malic acid and, gee, how about a couple words as to Why?

Anybody get a look at dr's photo on his home page? Could it be he might want to get some exercise?

Fibrobutterfly I swear I'm not pointing these questions at you. Just wondering why dr couldn't try to be a bit more precise and come up with some ideas we haven't heard again and again.

I know I sound Attitude-ish and snappy; I'm sorry. It's just that packing to move AND trying not to smoke cigs AND reading unclear recommendations from dr are things I shouldn't have mixed together.

Oh and about the malic acid. Dr doesn't seem to realize we're all different as to how the d'ds hit us and what might help.
    I took malic acid for nearly a year and I'm sorry that now I don't remember the dosages but it didn't do Thing One for me.

6. simonedb

simonedb Member

posts on here

i havent looked at his photo lately but yea if he is telling people with m.e. to exercise (which yea is controversial and for many contraindicatd) and he is overweight haha maybe the dude should clean his own house first

good luck with the cigs and moving lea