Dr. Weil on Larry King show recommends Turmeric...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by AJME, Mar 5, 2003.

1. AJME

AJME New Member

Dear All,

Saw Doctor Weil on Larry King tonight. (looks like Santa Clause) and has a couple of Alternative Medicine books out.
    He recommended Turmeric as a inflammatory a couple of times. I went to his website and found the following under Fibromyalgia Diet. Anyone tried Turmeric?

Eliminate polyunsaturated vegetable oils, margarine, vegetable shortening, all partially hydrogenated oils, all foods (such as deep-fried foods) that might contain trans-fatty acids. Use extra-virgin olive oil as your main fat.

Increase intake of omega-3 fatty acids.
    Eat more fruits and vegetables.
    Eat ginger and turmeric regularly.

2. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I've read all his books and get his free wellness e-newsletter and daily tips.
    I do not take turmeric, and can't take ginger since it speeds up bowel transist time, and mine is already too fast. However, curry and mustard are loaded with turmeric, so you can get plenty in your diet if you like those two things.
    I noticed that Dr. Weil mentioned that Indians get much less cancer, but I wonder if it's the turmeric they eat in their curried rice, or just that the average lifespan is so much lower there that they don't live long enough to get cancer? They also have very low obesity rates, which would lower the cancer rate.
    Dr. Weil is still pushing soy and a high carb diet based on whole grains, with no or very little meat. I used to agree with that approach, but my lipids and my weight got worse and worse on that diet. I have seen dramatic improvement on a high protein/low carb diet, and so have many others here with FMS.
    I like Dr. Weil's approach at combining the best of conventional and alternative medicines, but sometimes think he is too conservative.
    Klutzo