dreading my 15 hr flight

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by clerty, Mar 27, 2007.

1. clerty

clerty New Member

tonight flying back to scotland and I am really unwell
    any tips how to last the pace I wish I caould cancell but
    I cant !!!
  2. PVLady

PVLady New Member

Make sure to dring alot of water. Exercise your legs so you don't get DVT (deep vein thrombosis). Don't drink alcohol. Take you own carry on snacks.

When you arrive request a wheel chair to transport you to the next terminal, or baggage claim, etc. Just tell the stewardess and she can arrange for them to be there when you arrive.
  3. revlcb

revlcb New Member

but you need to walk those aisles in the airplane. It may not be easy with the stewardesses moving about, but they understand your need to move. And, if you have any layovers...walk, walk, walk.
  4. naturebaby

naturebaby New Member

Hi clerty,
    First off, wishing you a safe journey. I envy you a trip to Scotland....

Well, here are some of the things that have helped me on long-haul flights.

* sleep mask and earplugs - a must for me. A comfy neckroll, if you have one. If not, an empty pillowcase with a few hand towels packed into your carry-on can be turned into an improvised neckroll or pillow.

* hot, and cold, pain relief patches.

* drink water - plenty of it. I bring along Vitamin C chewable tablets - these help alleviate that "jet-lag" fatigue somewhat, for me anyways.

* moccasins (or slippers) - I take my shoes off as soon as I'm settled into my seat. Layered, comfy clothing. Something to tie up my hair, like a ponytail elastic (I get overheated easily)

* room and linen spray, for arrival. Makes the hotel/B&B/relative's guest room feel more like home to me.

* a bag of epsom salts packed in my luggage, for a hot soak in the tub upon arrival.

* I carry my meds with me, in my handbag, in their original prescription bottles.

* an "emergency list" in my wallet, with contact info AND all my medical info, including a list of all medications I'm currently taking. The pharmacy can print this list off for you, which could be helpful in the event you somehow lose your meds. You'll at least have proof if you need to see a doctor at your destination.

That's all I can think of, but if you do a search for "travel", there have been previous posts with a lot of excellent ideas. Have a safe and happy trip....

wishing you well, nature
  5. clerty

clerty New Member

Thanks for the tips I am so happy to be going home I really miss my bed in Glasgow then I am over to Ireland for a week to visit family I will be dead on my feet.

clertyx
  6. TerryS

TerryS Member

You've got to be kidding...just shoot me now!!!

This reminds me of 2005 when I flew into London...it was a miserable flight and I ended up having to get up every few minutes and try to walk, or hang out by the bathroom just to keep my legs stretched out. I was so envious of the people who got the front row!!!

Now I understand that my problems at that time were probably all related to the FM/CFS.

I know you're going to be miserable, but you'll make it and will be glad you did!!!

TerryS