Drinking alcohol for sleep- desparate

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by baanders, Mar 20, 2011.

1. baanders

baanders New Member

I'm ashamed to say it, but I have bipolar II with anxiety and extreme lows) on top of the fibro.

I had a sleep study, no stage 3 or 4. I'm only 30something and I am depressed anxious and suicidal. I am considering shock therapy. It scares me, I'm so young and don't want to damage my brain.

I believe that both the fibromyalgia and the bipolar cause the sleeping disorder. I asked my psychiatrist for help. I told him that the Seroquel was making me nice and fat and that I won't be compliant with that. Wish I could get Xyrem.

Please read below, I've had 4 psych hospitalizations since November and 2 drug overdoses (once in Jan, once in Feb)

It's hard to fight both diseases

Please pray for me,
    I will pray for you.

[This Message was Edited on 03/21/2011]
  2. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Have you tried lithium? I believe it is the most common treatment for bipolar.

3. baanders

baanders New Member

Thanks for the reply Mary, however, Lithium is used for the treatment of the type I Bipolar (extreme highs and lows).

Just like most fibromyalgia sufferers, I am sensitive to a wide variety of psychotropic meds, so my case is difficult.

Has anyone had ECT here?

4. victoria

victoria New Member

but have known a person who was helped with ECT. It is of course not the same as it was 40 years or so back. Have you researched how they do it these days?

Please don't be ashamed saying you are bipolar, or anything... it's not a choice, it's just the way it is for you.

Good luck with the meds (&/or ECT), different ones work differently for different people but sadly there's no way to know until you try. And most, if not all, usually show side effects sooner or later.

I hope you have or find some good docs... wouldn't hurt to get a second opinion perhaps as well, maybe?

all the best,
  5. baanders

baanders New Member

Thanks for telling me not to be ashamed. I can't just tell anyone, so many people could judge. Thanks, sweetie, but ECT will be lifesaving.

My fault, I didn't explain how sick I am.

A lot of people do not understand how difficult Bipolar is to treat. Bipolar II is very well known for suicide, because of the long depressions. This depressive episode has lasted for 5 long months. Imagine that with the fibromyalgia.

I've had 4 psych hospitilizations since November, been thrown every type of psych med. Since this case is resistant, I must have shock therapy. I will gladly put up with the side effects in order to save my life, now that I've thought about it. I'm sorry, I was the one that said I was scared.

I feel like I want to die.

I hope others can provide hope, too.
    Fibro and bipolar: a double whammy.

best wishes,

LEFTYGG Member

so sorry you are so sick. you need to do whatever it takes to pull you out of this. my dad 40 yrs ago had ect it helped him. its probably much better today. we all care. love gail
  7. baanders

baanders New Member

I'm feeling paranoid tonight.

Thank you all for your prayers and kind thoughts.

I enjoy reading about the success stories.

8. heapsreal

heapsreal New Member

Im a hard core insomniac but not bipolar, but i use seroquel for sleep but use it only once or maybe twice a week and i find it good for sleep and using it this way has helped me avoid any side effects and its great for catch up sleep or when your so exhausted and cant sleep it seems to do the trick, the other nights i use traditional sleep meds like zopiclone and valium to initiate sleep and something like mirtazapine or doxepine or maybe baclofen or an antihistamine to help maintain sleep, so i alternate these meds to help them to keep working. I have found using seroquel intermittently that i ahve been able to lose weight while doing this.

9. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Becca - I googled bipolar 2 natural treatments, and one that keeps popping up is fish oil. One theory is that people who are bipolar are very deficient in omega 3's, and generally large doses of fish oil help a lot. A few years ago I read about fish oil and omega 3's just helping with depression in general. It looks like the doses needed for people with bipolar are higher than average.

Here are some articles I found which mention fish oil and other supplements that may help.
    The second article interestingly enough mentions low glutathione in people with bipolar (sound familiar? - just like Richvank's theory about low glutathione and CFS). The article talks about adding folic acid.

B12 deficiency is also mentioned and some other things. I don't know if you've checked these things out before but I think there are certainly worth a look and if need be talk to your doctor about them.

Take care -

10. baanders

baanders New Member

Fish oil and B12 are essential, I agree. Thank you for your hard work :)

Last night, I was so suicidal that I woke up my hubby 3 times to tell him. I was so manic.

My psychiatrist said that for me, ECT would have a very high success rate (I do not wish to disclose that now). Bipolar is a serious illness and rapid cycling means I could be suicidal at any moment.

Exhausting cycling from suicidal, depressed, crying, anxious, rage, and paranoia all in 12 hours. That is very mentally ill. This has gone on for days, weeks, months, and years. Exhausting. Life threatening.

I will commence shock therapy ASAP. I want to thank my kind friends on the board for caring for me and for prayers.

I feel hope.

[This Message was Edited on 03/22/2011]
  11. baanders

baanders New Member

for telling me not to be ashamed

for supporting me in this fight of my life

for praying for me

for listening

for being so kind and loving

I love you all for helping me. I hope you all see this.\

12. herbqueen

herbqueen New Member

I think meditation has helped my sleep- one of the few things. Try meditation 2X/day--give it some time-a few months before deciding if it has an effect. There are many guided meditations. I like to combine prayer and meditation-focusing on for example jesus's healing love or touch/clearing my mind--focus on your breathing to clear your mind. It is not a cure for me fo rmy condition, but helps me sleep. I notice a difference when I stop doing daily meditation.

Also look into Xi Gong/Tai Chi-a moving form of meditation that adds deep breathing.
  13. kezzluvscats

kezzluvscats New Member

Lack of sleep can tip us over the edge. i started smoking something to sleep and ease th pain to sleep. Before fms i didn't have a mental illness. I have found it is common because of the pain levels we live with and fms effect our seritonin levels etc. when i rest alot i find i am more calm and try not be out for more than a couple of hours as i over tire. I hope you can get through this. Many people understand how the lack of sleep can send one to insanity. My thoughts are with you -please reach out to these sites you will be loved accepted and supported.
  14. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

I am a little late to the party here. I hope you have given up the alcohol. It increases suicidal tendencies.

I saw an interesting television show called “How the Brain Works” recently. They were studying the effect of electro-magnetic energy on the brain. They found that it helped some emotional disorders. Brain fog is working here, but I think it may have been straight depression, not the bi-polar type. You might ask your psychiatrist is s/he knows anything about it. It is still experimental. ECT is a tried and true treatment and you are a good candidate, so that is probably the way to go. I am praying that you find what works for you.
  15. GeminiMoon

GeminiMoon Member

Dear baanders: The next time you feel suicidal, please promise that you will call: The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
    In the U.S., call 1-800-273-8255

As much as your husband & friends and even the people on this board care and want to help, the fact is, we simply are not qualified. Only people experienced in this field really know what to do and how to get you the help you need such as medication, shock therapy, talk therapy, etc.

I have lost 2 brothers to suicide at a time where there was no help for them available. (1965 & 1975) If there were, maybe they would be with us today leading healthier lives.

I have suffered on & off from depression for many years layered on top of CFS. I take Trazadone at night for sleep and it works like a charm. I take Cymbalta in the day & that has helped me immensely.

Please keep us posted on your progress. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

All the best to you and your family from GeminiMoon
  16. caroleye

caroleye New Member

Having fibro, cfs, lupus & deep depressive episodes where I've made a plan how to "off" myself.

I've been living with these since the 80's; tried everything; now in my 60's & can only eat rice foods (gluten intolerant); cannot tolerate RX's. Finally found that there's a potato vodka from Austria that I sip on to ease my pain & helps me sleep. Told my Dr. & she said if it works, you have no other choice.

Definitely not an alcoholic, only when the pain kicks in later in the day. I was a alcoholic counselor for years, so I know the difference, and I'm "not" ashamed as it works for me.

But you do what works best for you, and I so understand your symptoms. I guess having a near death experience makes it easier to consider suicide, but so far have hung in there.

Hoping you find your answer; don't let anyone force your decision as it's "your" life.

Sending healing vibes...................carole