,Driving problems too,answer please

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by darvick, Feb 8, 2006.

1. darvick

darvick New Member

Hi, I dont post much but i do read your posts a lot. I'm really greatful for you all.
    I was on elivil for a month and had to get off it i was a zombie!!! Arthro doc said it would do fibro good and it did , I was totally numb yea,,,, now he s put me on another trycyclic antidepressant for nerve pain, and fibro. I was afraid to drive etc... Today i was going about my usual stuff, took kid to bus stop , and went for my walk at the park. Half way through, spouse calls and says kid missed the bus again... stress. had to hurry and walk back to car which killed me , pick up kid took him home ,, he gets into fight with spouse and says hes walking ,, but if he is late they wont let him in... more stress,,, spouse calls me from home to meet them down the street at a gas station. Even though he s late and they wont let him in spouse tells me to bring him anyway, a 1/2 hour drive. MORE STRESS. well i was next to a gas pump with a metal thing stickin out and hit it. NOW spouse says im not driving any more .. I give up ,,, I am alert today just stressed out not fogged up it was an accident. I have had 2 accidents in the last 3 years, just fender benders but not spouse is having this family meeting at 3pm to im sure talk to me about not driving anymore. I just started pamelor last night so it hasnt had time to mess me up,,, Between these docs and there supposed cures and my family I feel like im loosing all control i have.
    Has anyone had these thing happen to them , im sure you have cause of reading posts. I am crying , pissed, this damn disease is really getting to me. I also have arthritis in neck, back, buldging disks fun fun.
    Sorry its a whine session, i just dont know what to do.
    Thanks,
    Darlene
    [This Message was Edited on 02/08/2006]
    [This Message was Edited on 02/08/2006]
  2. fivesue

fivesue New Member

You poor thing! Today sounds like a day out of a Stephen King novel! HORRIBLE!

So, what family will be involved in the meeting? He determines whether you can drive or not? Or is it a majority vote? Do you get a say? Guess I'm having a hard time understanding this process. Is your husband thinking he's being kind and not wanting you to be hurt or have the stress of driving an all the errands involved? He may just want to help you....even though it may not be the way you want to be helped. And if it is this way, you should tell him how you are feeling.

But I do know about doctors who have a "cure"...NOT. I am glad you got to say all this...what an awful day and the family meeting doesn't sound fun to me at all.

Take care. Praying for you and your situation.

Hugs,
    Sue
  3. lin-z

lin-z New Member

I frankly dont know how you can get in and out of the car so many times...right now i cant even drive because I have no muscle control in my right leg(ya think you need to brake??

Sometimes i can but when you top it off with the kind of crap you went thru...no way. Obviously anyone with such stress would be more susceptbile to those minor accidents and it cant be the deciding factor in whether you drive or not.

You mentioned bulging neck discs...right now that is my most painful situation and i truly cannot look both ways to see if a car is coming...i prefer not to drive but the darling hubby will be looking for sumthin to eat and there is nothing in the cupboard..oh well

I am starting 25mg elavil at night went off pamelar ..got me sick (you know we are all different) and am starting from scratch with a new group yipppee!!!

darlene, i have been whining for 2 days ..heres to better days girl!!!! Lindsey

ps i got a walker for valentines day...how romantic ugh
  4. darvick

darvick New Member

The family meeting was how irrisponsible ive been , and i know i can forget aa lot. "I should not have to write notes to myself, cause there is nothing wrong with my brain, im intelligent if i believe and focus on my ailments then ill have them(all in my head?) I know how frustrating this disease can be for everyone especially when i screw up and i have. But to their disbelief i am NOT trying to shrug my responsibilities. They think and in a way its true, that I have not been the same for 10 years, after the death of my 13 year old son. I know im not, and sometimes wonder if this did do brain damage to me. "Im not the same person i was then "sometimes i try soooo hard to keep things together and just end up screwing it up .. oh well, i must try harder. They ask what are your goals for the rest of your life??? well right now im waiting for a disability hearing, cant do much else so what get a hobby, i was working my way up to walking 2 days a week to increase strength and mind,and get well you dont forget to take your walks. Selective memory they say. geeze
    also, my spouse has health problems also, and works and really has been patient , just has had it with my fogginess[This Message was Edited on 02/08/2006]
  5. darvick

darvick New Member

Guess relying on a support group is focusing on my illness too much to well BULL
  6. fivesue

fivesue New Member

Sounds awful...all of it. I can understand people not being able to relate to what this disease does to people. "You look fine!" I hate to hear that, but I guess it's better than looking like I feel sometimes.

I am sorry. What did you decide about your situation? What did all the talk, etc. boil down to...will you drive again or not?

I'm glad you come here so you can see that others understand you and your illness. It isn't dwelling on it to talk to others with similar issues. I hope you will continue to come and talk.

Just take care and do what you can. I'm just sorry all of this is so hard on you. It sounds like you need an ally in your family!

Sue
  7. darvick

darvick New Member

everything boiled down to me not thinking and being an airhead, im not to drive until i can show im responsible. Thanks for taking the time to answer i really appreciat it.
    There is no easy solution with this disease. People just dont get it.By writing notes to myself and marking everything down , and stuff i thought i was helping myself. Ive made some doozie mistakes, but not intentionally. Spouse says ive treated them like poo, and i guess i do sometimes , but i stress them out.
    sometimes its a loosing battle