Driving problems

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by onset1990, Oct 8, 2009.

1. onset1990

onset1990 Member

I had to drive on the freeway for a few miles today. It made me extremely tired, groggy, dizzy afterwards like a full blown flare. i was even stumbling over words when I got home. Does anyone else get physically stressed and/or dizzy from driving? Too much adrenaline maybe?
  2. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

driving is one of the 4 worst things for me.....rt up there with grocery shopping, laundry, and taking a shower....at most on a good day, I can manage to drive 20 - 30 minutes, and then I am done....on a bad day, I am not safe to even attempt to drive at all

it makes me hurt a lot, it completely wears me out, and it definitely flares other symptoms, as well (inc brain fog)...and sometimes I get motion sickness, which is completely different from how I was pre-CFS....used to go skydiving, on roller coasters, etc, etc

so, no you are not alone, yeah it is definitely part of this lovely illness (for me, at least), and it is a huge change from what I used to be like - used to love to drive (so much so, in fact, that driving a race car was on my bucket list)
    [This Message was Edited on 10/09/2009]
  3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I don't get sick driving, but do stay off the freeway. I take the back roads, just in case I feel bad I can pull over even if its in someones driveway :)...

I live in the country, and the closest grocery is 15 miles away, so thats a 30 mile round trip.

I had stopped driving for a longtime.

I was in the store, picked up a 50lb bag of dog food, and went into an instant flare, with a cart full of groceries. I had to have someone that worked in the store put the groceries on the counter for me, and in the car. I was in so much pain, I was actually afraid to drive myself home. I had a high school to pass, and there was no going around it!

I sat in the car for half an hour till the kids were out of school before I drove. I made it home, left everything in the car and went to bed with my heating pad :)...

I do not go shopping alone at all anymore. Its sad, like you said, I loved to drive, was crazy about speed, loved to ride on Harley's (which I still do sometimes with my son on a goodday:).

I hate depending on others to do my shopping, I can't even push a cart that is the least bit heavy anymore. Its horrible.

It was not the brain fog, it was the pain with me. I would die if I hurt someone on the road.

You are not alone, so many of us are so challenged with these illnesses.

Take care of yourself, and just drive when you feel your best....

Shalom, Shirl
  4. onset1990

onset1990 Member

yes, i do take back roads usually so I can control my speed and access to stopping. This time was unavoidable. And in California, taking the freeway is taking your life in your hands!

I just wondered if it was CFS or my anxiety disorder. As if they aren't linked, jeese.
  5. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

one of my favorite things either. No freeways here--thankfully. There is a main highway that I have to drive to visit my friend in the next town, --15 miles away but that is not very often anymore.

I used to love to drive and play the radio or my favorite CD--very little of that anymore too. :([This Message was Edited on 10/10/2009]
  6. LindaJones

LindaJones New Member

I don't drive long distances
  7. butterflydream

butterflydream New Member

Thought i'd mention this so all can prepare if happens to you.

Numerous states are now asking if you are taking any medications that could affect your driving skills. If answered yes, a person is in for a long process to drive again.

I thought the topic Driving Problems was a good place to put this.
    Just to give you all some insight of what may be asked if you go in person to Renew.

Live Life Well
  8. onset1990

onset1990 Member

How can they tell impairment just by prescriptions? The body creates tolerance to medications that improve function. Blood pressure meds make people tired and sometimes sleepy.

I like the current laws. If you are under the influence of ANYTHING when an accident occurs, that will enhance their investigation of you being the cause if it.

And if your doctor has knowledge that you are a driving hazard, they must report it.

9. satchya

satchya New Member

I have noticed that driving anything over about half an hour sets off a flare without fail. Last Monday I had Jury Duty and had to drive downtown. It was an hour drive each direction at rush hour and in big city traffic. I thought I was going to die. And then I had the added stress of sitting all day in the jury waiting room, and then I almost got picked for GRAND JURY service, but luckily I just missed it because they got everyone they needed from the other people on the benches with me and I was excused back to the waiting room. I have been in a horrible, horrible flare ever since. I haven't been in this much pain in years.

But yes, driving in general, not sitting in a car as a passenger, but driving, for over half an hour, always, always puts me in a flare. I had to start having my two older kids be bus riders for school because their school is a half hour drive each direction plus a long wait in a carpool line. (My husband luckily can drive them in the morning). My youngest's preschool is only five minutes away. The grocery store is only five minutes away. The gym is only ten minutes away. I can do a kick-butt aerobics class followed by a dance class, but I CAN'T drive. Go figure.
  10. onset1990

onset1990 Member

Just FYI. My doctors always sign me out of jury duty. My rheumy said he could do it permanently if I wanted but I said no, that was a long time ago! Now I would say yes, but I thought I'd get better eventually. I couldn't do jury duty, the sitting, getting there or the tremendous stress!
  11. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

I will have to do so in a few months, and though the meds issue is not one I will have to worry about, I am VERY worried about how I will physically handle going in to take care of this, esp if it turns out that I have to take the written and/or driving tests

even if I don't have to take those, though, just getting to the facility will wear me out, let alone, getting there, dealing with the awful lights, standing in line, sitting in their painful chairs (part of the process involves a line w/o chairs and then later in the process, it involves sitting in chairs in another section), then driving back home

if I do have to take the written test, the lights alone will pretty much ensure that I will not be able to think clearly, and if I have to take the driving test, I won't be able to do it, as I can no longer physically stand to drive for any length of time at all anymore

This is a really big deal, and even though I do not drive that much, I have to be able to drive some (I live alone and do not have anyone I can rely on to take me most places I need to go....my parents help some, but they do not live close, so they cannot help on a regular basis)

I also have to go in for my emissions test again, and that, too, is a problem, simply becasue they closed down the facility that was close by and I cannot drive far enough to go somewhere else

any suggestions for any of these issues anyone?
  12. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

No way could I do it either....had to have my Dr get me out of it last yr, and she almost wouldn't do it bc I was not doing well enough to make it into her office for her to verify that I was too sick! (one of the many, many reasons I found a new Dr)

How crazy is that? I couldn't get to an office that is closer than jury duty would have been, for an appt that would have been way shorter than jury duty, and I could not get there by the time her office was closed for the day (bc I cannot function until very late in the day), but I would have had to make it to jury duty early in the morning, and yet she was insisting that if she couldn't see me for herself, I couldn't prove I was sick enough (like seeing me would have shown anything anyway?!)

I did wind up getting it resolved, but it was an extra bunch of frustration that certainly did not help anything....and I should mention that I had been her patient for several yrs and she knew that I was really sick.

(The truly ironic thing about all that was that if I had felt well enough, I would have loved to have jury duty, bc I am so tired of being home alone all the time and bc I think that court cases can be interesting.)
    [This Message was Edited on 10/14/2009]
  13. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

14. MsE

MsE New Member

I can still drive in my own town and in the area, but I stay away from freeway driving. I get stressed, dizzy, upset, and miserable. So I take the local bus when I want to go to the city.