Drs. Sarno, Selfridge, Brady Anyone Still Trying

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mdjaj2231, Jun 10, 2008.

1. mdjaj2231

mdjaj2231 New Member

Back in December there was a thread started for people who wanted to try. I don't think anything's been posted in quite awhile. I'm very interested in speaking with anyone who's interested in this theory. (If you're not, I understand, and I respect you and know all the reasons, so just remember I'm only asking to hear from those who are open to this.)

Anyway, let me know how it's going. Thanks.

Hugs to all.
  2. desertlass

desertlass New Member

I think this is one of the finest posts I've ever read on here. I'm completely in earnest.

The way you asked for information, did not blast anyone else's ideas, and stated your intentions firmly but politely--

this should be a MODEL for everyone here.

I read Dr. Sarno's book "Mind Over Back Pain" in the early nineties. I am not familiar with the others.

I hope you have good luck meeting with other people who share your interest.

Mostly, I hope you have improved health,
  3. mdjaj2231

mdjaj2231 New Member

You made me chuckle. The other 2 drs. trained with Dr. Sarno and wrote books too. I wish you health too.
    <br>[<i>This Message was Edited on 06/10/2008</i>]
  4. mdjaj2231

mdjaj2231 New Member

5. I read Dr. Sarnos book about back pain, but do you have to see him to have it work do you think? Its been awhile since I read it. It makes alot of sense really.
  6. mdjaj2231

mdjaj2231 New Member

I was wondering the same thing. I had trouble understanding Sarno's books. I got Selfridge's used, and it was all marked up, so I didn't use it. I'm reading Brady's now and like it. I also have Forgive to Live and like that too. Brady gives 5 typical personality types in his book. I know I'm a perfectionist and a people-pleaser. I'd love to have some personalized guidance. I'm in Florida and tried to contact Dr. Brady but was unable. I don't know if Sarno and Selfridge
    see patients.
  7. HurtsToMove

HurtsToMove New Member

To quickly answer a couple of questions:

-You don't have to actually see the doctor to get better. I know of people who have read the books and made themselves well. I would like very much to have the same thing happen to me---we shall see.

-Dr. Sarno does see patients, last time I heard. According to his books, he first does a phone interview with you to decide whether you'd be a good candidate for his program.

I AM currently trying this. I've just started, so nothing to report yet. I will be giving all my attention to getting well and probably won't be dropping in at the board, at least for a little while.
  8. acesk

acesk New Member

I just read his newer book "The Divided Mind" and am using that for my fibro. He says that we have a "reservoir of rage" and that helps to cause our pain. I have to agree - I started listing everything I'm mad at (and don't ever show it!) and am feeling better this week.
    Sue in Florida
  9. luigi21

luigi21 Member

just finished reading The divided mind, gonna give it a go&lt;BR&gt;
  10. limbo

limbo Member

the rage may apply to some, but it is an emotion and would be easy to determine. i e short fuse. depends on how we handle it.&lt;BR&gt;
    my opinon...books make money and two make more.&lt;BR&gt;
    journaling is helpful for all of us.
  11. luigi21

luigi21 Member

No this rage is unconscious rage, it exists in the unconscious the primitive part of the brain called the id, the ego and superego came later in evolution for survival, Dr Sarno points out we are all two people as the id fights with the superego's insistance to be good and perfect as the id is selfish, dependant, rageful, its the childish side, and it has NO awareness of time. I know alot about the anatomy and physiology and psychology and it does make alot of sense. Besides I cannot see any problem with giving the suggestions a go, less money spent on one book than on medications. I've been exercising for 3 weeks now, not painfree, deal with it heat and massage, and tell self pain is not in the body, its in the mind. That we all have psychosomatic illness, some with more intense conditions than others, so that the mind can bypass the painful and ultimately dangerous emotions hidden in the unconscious. Keeps the mind occupied with pain in the body. I don't know, i mean fibro may well be a central nervous system disorder, but all this man is saying is to change your thinking, give it a go type of thing i just dont want to face suffering another 6 years if this is the key. who would?
  12. luigi21

luigi21 Member

ive ordered the mindbody prescription by Dr Sarno too, and im getting results (dont wanna speak too soon) but then the connection between mindbody is not a hard concept for me to grasp as im qualified in anatomy and physiology and i know quite a bit about the unconscious John Bradshaw is good at elaborating on this stuff too, but you must keep up the suggestions in the book, the knowledge has to sink in, all the best&lt;BR&gt;