Dr's treatments of FM

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by robreams, May 1, 2007.

1. robreams

robreams New Member

My wife suffers from FM (see my post earlier today for details). Her current doctor (who supposedly knows something about FM) has had her on a regimen of Cyclobenzaprine in the PM for sleep, & Provigil in the AM to wake her up. While I'm fully in favor of anything to help her sleep, I can't help but think there's got to be other things about the FM that could be treated, or at least attempted...

For any of you who are very happy with the doctor's care you're receiving, does it sound like this guy has a clue? Should we look for a doctor that would use a broader approach to treating her FM?

Specifically, do any of you have doctors you're happy with in the Houston area?

Thanks in advance for your help!
    [This Message was Edited on 05/01/2007]
  2. jole

jole Member

Hoping someone else can help you....I'm not from that area, and honestly, very few docs are as good as the people on this board. There is more help from people that have it than docs who don't.

There are some very intelligent and resourseful people on this site who have been helping many of us with great information, not to mention encouragement.

I'm very proud of you for taking an interest in your wife's condition. FM is not fun, and many are not married to an understanding and supportive spouse, which makes the pain and fatigue much worse.....
  3. clerty

clerty New Member

andI a very happy with the one I have He knows what he is on about he knows of this web page and told me he is willing to try any of te protocols not only that but he stood up for mewhen I was in hospital as I was in a lot of pain so yes a second opinion might be wth a try!!!

Certyx
  4. 6cats

6cats New Member

My Dr wanted to try Provigil because alot of the antidepressants make you gain weight and I talked to the pharmacist and they use that drug for narcalepsy (sp). I imagine it may help with the fatigue.... It really depends on what dosage she is on for sleep...
  5. natesmommie1

natesmommie1 New Member

I have pcp,and pain dr,i takeultractw/tyneol,flexrill,evail aaaaaaaat bedtime i sleep like a baby
  6. natesmommie1

natesmommie1 New Member

I have pcp,and pain dr,i takeultractw/tyneol,flexrill,evailat bedtime i sleep like a baby
  7. Waynesrhythm

Waynesrhythm Member

Hi again robreams,

I highly recommend learning to use the search feature in the upper left side of the screen. Doing separate searches for Cyclobenzaprine and then Provigil will give you a wealth of information on people's experience. Doing so will give the the potential benefits and/or downside of any particular treatment you may consider.

I encourage you to research, research, research. As jole pointed out, most of of on this board know way more about CFS/FM than most doctors will know. When approaching doctors, you should anticipate having to educate them. Not the way it should be, but the way it is.

Regards, Wayne
  8. robreams

robreams New Member

Thanks for the responses on both of my threads from today. This forum and its eagerly helpful members is obviously a very valuable resource, & I anticipate introducing my wife to it shortly.

As far as Provigil & Cyclobenzaprine are specifically concerned, I may not have been clear in my original question. I don't question their use-- she does seem to be sleeping better, & that's a valuable outcome.

What I do question is whether that should be the FULL extent of her treatment. She's still suffering from many symptoms, yet her doctor seems content with the current program of treatment.

Given that, I will be more diligent in my use of the search function.

Thanks!
  9. jake123

jake123 New Member

This med has made a difference to me. I would say give it a chance to work.