Drs. won't do my knee replacement because of my fibro

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sniffles, Jul 13, 2006.

1. sniffles

sniffles New Member

This has been a long couple of yrs for me due to a very bad knee that needs replaced plus this fibro. I have been to 3 different surgeons and only one said he would do it only if I just couldn't stand the pain any longer and then he said that I would probably call him all kinds of bad names because the pain could end up worse afterward. I keep hearing that the pain from knee surgery is the worst kind and that with our pain level being always so high, that I couldn't handle the therapy afterwards. I now am almost unable to walk across a room and have to use a cane when I go somewhere because of the pain and the fear of that knee giving out and causing me to fall. I have had the injections put in my knee twice and the last series didn't work. I would love to hear from anyone that has been thru this and if they was able to get a dr. to do the surgery. This has caused all the muscles in my legs to cramp up very bad because I am walking so slow and the pain is so bad with each step I take. My family dr. said that he dosen't see why there should be a problem because I am on a low dose of pain medication now and that it shoudn't be a problem to increase it during therapy for a few days. Hope to hear from anyone that can tell me some good news.Sniffles
  2. rachel432

rachel432 New Member

i'm a nurse and i have treated a lot of patients both right after knee surgery and years after they had their knee replacments. i have to say even though the surgery i painful and the recovery and physical therapy is difficult most of my patient are very happy that they had the surgery and had significantly less pain afterward. i looked at your bio and saw that your only 63 yrs old, you should do very well with the surgery.
    i hope this helps.
    rachel
  3. kjfms

kjfms Member

First of all I am sorry you are having such pain and problems with you knee.

Perhaps you could ask your family physician speak with the surgeon? Just a thought and it never hurts to ask.

I hope you find some relief,

Karen :)
  4. Cakedec

Cakedec New Member

That does seem strange that they won't do your knee surgery just because of the FMS. I am having spinal fusion surgery with instrumentation done for my severe scoliosis in 2 weeks and the surgeon was not concerned that I have FMS. He just said he couldn't tell me how much of my pain was from the spine and how much from FMS.

Your knee surgery will be a long recovery, but the people who I know who had it were happy that they did.

Deb
  5. gnanny

gnanny New Member

I also seldom take a step without some sort of support because my knees are unreliable.

I have been told I need both knees replaced since I was 40. I mostly didnt want to slow down enough to do the re hab, then as they get worse I must face that I have no quality of life like this.

I have such a resistance to pain meds that I cant help but worry what I will feel like during and after surgery. I had a d/c a few years back. I kept telling them ow! finally they said they had given me enough narcotics to 'knock out an elephant !'and they couldnt give any more. The dentist has to re-novacaine me 3 or 4 times each appointment because it wears off so quickly.

I run hot and cold on this one....just when I think I am ready I will have a bad flare where my muscles wont let me move and decide that is worse than the arthritis.

I also hope to hear from someone who has been there.

Anyone?

6. sniffles

sniffles New Member

I was glad to hear from all of you and that maybe I will be able to get through a knee replacement soon. I know there has to be a better solution to this than just letting the pain take over and cause me to end up in a wheel chair all day. Hopefully, this new dr. I see Aug. 3d will give me some good news. sniffles
  7. Marta608

Marta608 Member

I have a good friend who is very ill with FM and had successful knee surgery. If you want it done you may need to find a new doctor.

Marta
  8. rigby

rigby New Member

I need 3 bone fuse in my neck but the neurosurgeon did not want to do it because of FM at least not until it got worst he said the muscle would pull on the area. Sharon
  9. lilaclover30

lilaclover30 New Member

When in the 60's, my Dr. said I was too young ~~~~~~now he says too old - 75. and laughs.

I know the real reason he says all this though. My husband has a prosthesis (leg), 3 heart attacks, by-pass surgery and diabetes. He thinks so much of hubby (but not of me). He laughs as he knows I take care of hubby, doing everything! he also knows that he can't take care of me.

Kids are all away. So-----I siuffer.

Gentle hugs to all of you,

Joan