Drug Dose & Timing/Dosage Abbreviations

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by LittleBluestem, Apr 10, 2006.

1. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

What does "t.i.d." mean, as in “at the daily dose of 1.5 mg t.i.d.”?

[This Message was Edited on 04/11/2006]
  2. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

bid is two times a day....used for medication

jodie
  3. kjfms

kjfms Member

...I studied these in school for medical coding. I thought this list might help a few people. It has helped me to review these as well...so thanks for posting the question LittleBluestem.

Sorry everyone I tried my best to make this easy to read...

Abbreviation----Latin phrase--------English translation

a.c.------------ante cibum----------before meals

b.i.d.----------bis in die----------twice a day

h.--------------hora----------------hour

h.s.------------hora somni----------at bedtime

n.p.o.----------nil per os----------nothing by mouth

n.r.------------non repetatur-------do not repeat

o.d.------------omni die------------every day

p.c.------------post cibum----------after meals

p.o.------------per os--------------by mouth

p.r.n.----------pro re nata---------as needed

q.--------------quaque--------------every

q.d.------------quaque die----------every day

q.h.------------quaque hora---------every hour

q.i.d.----------quarter in die------four times a day

q.4h.-----------quaque 4 hora-------every four hours (or whatever number the physician puts here 6, 3, 8, etc...) :)

t.i.d.----------ter in die----------three times a day

u.d.------------ut dictum-----------as directed

Always follow your physician's directions-if you are not sure please ask your physician for more specific instructions that is what they are there for...to help you (us).

Thanks,

Karen

[This Message was Edited on 07/03/2006]
  4. cistesmom

cistesmom New Member

there are several ways of denoting dosage times. If your doctor specifies certain hour times ie: q12; q6;q4... you should take your meds at those specific hourly intervals. If she prescribes bid(twice a day or breakfast and dinner),tid(three times a day or breakfast, lunch and dinner), qid (breakfast lunch, dinner and bedtime) the times are more flexible as long as you get the right number of meds in per day. Some meds specify with meals or on an empty stomach and it is very important that they be taken that way. Your pharmacist is the best friend you can have when it comes to questions about your meds and I think that you should try to establish a working relationship with one or at least use one pharmacy for all of your meds because they can catch drug interactions from prescriptions that you may receive from several doctors. That's part of their job! Sorry about this being so lonfh, Too Much Information? hugs!!! peg
  5. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

Thanks for all the good information. It’s definitely NOT too much. I planned to delete this, once I had an answer. Now I am going to change the title and leave it for others to see.

I was researching use of sublingual B12 (methylcobalamin) to reset circadian rhythm. Since this is not a prescription drug, I don’t think my pharmacist can help. Articles for the popular press do not include “Materials and Methods”. The best I could find on dose and timing was “at the daily dose of 1.5 mg t.i.d.” I have 1 mg pills and I don’t know if they can be split.
  6. msmac

msmac New Member

I am interested in knowing more about your coding work. Are you still doing it? I work at home doing medical transcription but am having a hard time sitting and typing. I have a new zero gravity chair (like a recliner) but now am having problems getting used to this.

I am thinking about a career change. I have been doing this for 8 years, so am pretty versed in "medical stuff" and have a general idea of what coding entails. Hope you have a great weekend!
  7. kjfms

kjfms Member

Your question was for LittleBluestem but I think you meant it for me I am the one with the background in medical coding...LOL

I have been out of coding for a little while but plan to go back in it. It is funny (not ha ha) that you are in transcription because that is what I am doing at the moment.

I am also studying to take the CCS certification. Coding is hard but interesting and worth the hard work.

Your background in medical terminology is a must as well as human physiology, medical records, HIPPA. Coders should really enjoy reading technical material. Keeping up in today's fasted paced changing medical technology is a fun challenge.

Coders have to understand the entire disease process as well as physicians and nurses in order to code properly. We take the same classes they do they seem to forget that though...LOL

We have to review the entire medical chart and pick up diagnoses and procedures from any and all reports available including handwritten notes...which can be so much fun...LOL

The money is very good once you are certified. There are different certifications for hospital coders (CCS) and physician office coders (CCS-P). My experience is hospital based and that is what I plan to stick with.

If you are looking for a change the best place to start checking things out is with AHIMA just go to their site at

www.ahima.org

and have a look around they have great information.

If you have more specific questions you would like to ask just give me a shout out and I will try to help.

Best of luck to you,

Karen
  8. kjfms

kjfms Member

you are very welcome. I am so glad to know it is of some help.

Thanks,

Karen :)
  9. kjfms

kjfms Member

No problem...LOL Almost missed it myself.

Have a great 4th

Thanks,

Karen
  10. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member