Drug Interactions With: Colestipol (Colestid), & Cholestyramine

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by bakron, May 18, 2003.

1. bakron

bakron New Member

I also took Cholestyramine several years back when it was prescribed by my GI physician. It did help. I found that it was very difficult to find a time to take it as I was on a number of other medications. The following information needs to be read by those who take it and those who are considering it:

“Colestipol (Colestid) binds many different compounds in the gastrointestinal tract, thereby inhibiting the absorption of the other compounds. Colestipol can bind with and decrease the oral absorption of carbamazepine (Tegretol), diuretics such as hydrochlorothiazide (found in Dyazide, Maxzide) and furosemide (Lasix), propranolol (Inderal), tetracyclines, and fat-soluble vitamins (vitamins A, D, and K). Colestipol can bind with and inhibit the absorption of thyroid hormones. Colestipol also can bind with ursodiol. Separating the doses of colestipol and these other compounds by several hours should prevent binding with colestipol.

Colestipol binds to vitamin K, a vitamin which is required by the liver to make the factors that allow blood to clot. Colestipol, by reducing the action of vitamin K further, may exaggerate the effect of warfarin, reducing the body's ability to form blood clots. This interaction could lead to abnormal bleeding. On the other hand, colestipol can bind with warfarin directly and inhibit the absorption of warfarin. To avoid this interaction, doses of warfarin and colestipol should be staggered by at least 4-6 hours.

Colestipol is closely related to cholestyramine, another resin. Cholestyramine has been more extensively studied than colestipol. Therefore, there are several drug interactions which have been described with cholestyramine, for which data is lacking with colestipol. It would be prudent to assume that a similar interaction exists and to separate ingestion of colestipol from the other drugs by several hours. These interactions with cholestyramine include: acetaminophen (Tylenol), amiodarone (Cordarone), gemfibrozil (Lopid), pravastatin (Pravachol), piroxicam (Feldene), imipramine (Tofranil), glipizide (Glucotrol), and others.”

(Copied from MedicineNet - info on MedicineNet, below. A very good resource to look up medications and find out more about them.)

“Since 1996, MedicineNet has been providing 100% doctor-produced educational health information for consumers. The aim of MedicineNet.com and its network of over 70 U.S. Board Certified Physicians, is to ensure that this information is reliable, integrated, and easy to access, read and understand.”

2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Love, Mikie

[ advertisement ]