Drug like Percocet

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by abcanada, Oct 24, 2006.

1. abcanada

abcanada New Member

Hi Everyone,
    I'm going to the doc this afternoon, after being in extreme pain all weekend. I always let my prescription run out, then end up being in pain until I can get in....Dumb!I usually take Percocet, but am worried that it won't work for me anymore if I continue to use it on a regular basis. Can anyone suggest a drug that is about the same strength, that I could use to alternate with? My doc has maintained that if it is what works for me, then to use it. Thanks, Laura
  2. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

Hi Laura - What strength are you on? I find it very effective, yet, I needed a little more. My doc just wrote for 7.5 instead of 5 mg. That might help you - just a modification. If you are already on 7.5, then the next step might be oxycontin or morphine based pills. I am not an expert, just from my personal experience.
    Hope this helped a little.
    Hang in there...
    Hugs
    Kim
  3. abcanada

abcanada New Member

I have no idea, and already got rid of my last pres. bottle. I will check with her today, and see about uping the dose. Thanks soo much . Laura
  4. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

that's a good idea, I've been doing it for years because I build up tolerance in less than a week. Swapping back and forth gives me better pain relief, becuse by changing I use lower doses, but the meds work better because of changing the meds often too. I also find one meds works better for certain kinds of pain, and the other med works better for others, another way to keep the dosing lower.

I use Endocet (5 mg oxycodone or weak Percocet) and alternate w/ 30 mg codeine phosphate pills. I use more codeine than oxy, but for some reason the codeine tends to be a better pain med for me, esp. for period cramps. Most take codeine as Tylenol 3, but I switched to straight codeine to have the option of taking less acetaminaphen, which is hard on the liver.

Jeanne
  5. abcanada

abcanada New Member

I highly agree with different meds working better for different pain. Percocet dulls but does not eliminate joint/muscle pain for me. Migraines have been the biggest culprit, but I find I'm bothered by other pain when I get rid of migraine. I'm seriously considering going back on birth control pills, just to see if it helps with the severe migraines. I have a blood clotting disorder (protien C deficiency), and I'm not suppose to take hormones. I've tried every other family of preventatives for migraine, and had bad side effects. Not sure what is worse, developing another blood clot or this chronic agonizing pain! Laura