Drugs Nerve pain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by pansylady, Jul 10, 2008.

1. pansylady

pansylady New Member

Does anyone know of any modern drug or Antidepressant that helps with nerve pain. I was on Elavil for 8 years to help with nerve pain and tMJ disorder but went off it because of the side effects & weight gain.so would appreciate any help.

2. mujuer

mujuer New Member

is the newest drug out there I believe. It is specifically for nerve pain. It really works good for me. I don't take it everyday though. It does make you retain water a bit so some say it causes weight gane. I take it when everything is hurting like my arthritis and fibro together. I will take one 50 mg capsule for relief on bad days and a side benefit is that it will help you sleep at night. P
    [This Message was Edited on 07/10/2008]
  3. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

I take Neurontin. I'm not on a very high dose, but I do find it helps a lot with the nerve pain. Even missing just one, lets me know how well it works.

No side effects, either!

4. CKater

CKater New Member

I take amitryptaline (spelling?)..and it does help. I also take Lyrica, and for me it does help and I don't struggle with weight gain as many here do. It might be a place to start. Good luck.
  5. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

I take Lyrica and have for over 2 years...it works well for my nerve pain.

Neurontin is a cousin to Lyrica and can work just as well.

Both of those drugs you may have side effects while your body gets used to the drug.

Amitryptaline is Elavil in generic form.
    [This Message was Edited on 07/12/2008]
  6. findmind

findmind New Member

I take gabapentin (generic Neurontin), and I always feel when it's time for the next dose.

I started taking it at night only, for 3 days; then added in the morning dose, for 3 days, then finally the evening dose. I never had any side effects, and no weight gain.

Hope you can try it again, maybe on this type of schedule; it may help you...I sure hope so!