Dry Mouth

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Mar19, Jul 29, 2003.

1. Mar19

Mar19 New Member

Looking for suggestions here. Most of the time my mouth is sooooo dry. I drink lots of water that doesn't help. Tried hard candies, the sugar causes bloating,etc. The ones with artificial sweetener gives me headaches and upsets my stomach. It may be a reaction to one of my meds, but I've had dry mouth before I took meds. Sometimes it's so dry it's hard for me to swallow food, and my lips feel like they're stuck to my teeth. I see my doc in about 2 weeks, but since I pretty certain a lot of us have this problem also, I might get some good suggestions. My eyes are pretty dry too, but drops help enough to make it bearable. Thoughts anyone?
    Love and blessings
    Mar
  2. Susan07

Susan07 New Member

I found a toothpaste for dry mouth, works very well. Plus at night and in the morning I use a mouth spray for dry mouth, also in the toothpaste product area (stoppers 4). Most of my dry mouth seems to come from medications so you might ask your doctor to consider changing some of your meds.
  3. FranWi

FranWi New Member

From the foundation website:

Sjögren's("SHOW-grins") syndrome is a chronic disease in which white blood cells attack the moisture-producing glands. The hallmark symptoms are dry eyes and dry mouth, but it is a systemic disease, affecting many organs and may cause fatigue. It is one of the most prevalent autoimmune disorders, striking as many as four million Americans.

I know it seems like a minor problem to have to deal with, but I'd bring it to your doctor's attention. I'm not sure how it's treated, but you should get some help for it.

I know it sounds gross, but on The View there was a guy using non-stick cooking spray as a mouth moisturizer... if you're really desperate. Used it just like a breath spray.

:)

Fran

4. Mar19

Mar19 New Member

...for your suggestions. I'll look for the products on the toothpaste aisle. Gum is a good idea, but I have severe TMJ and chewing gum is really painful for me. I'm sure the meds add to the dryness somewhat, but I've had this longer than I've been on meds. I'm adding this to my list of things to ask my doc. Poor guy! He must get tired of me showing up with a list every time...but if he does, he never shows it.
  5. MJJBunny

MJJBunny New Member

I found a product in a tube that you can carry in your purse or pocket that you can use to lubricate your mouth. I believe I did find it in the toothpaste section.