Dry Skin Problems

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Mikie, Oct 5, 2002.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Many of us suffer from dry skin due to being hypothyroid, taking medication, or just using our A/C and heating systems.

I have found that using Aveeno's bath and shower gel to be very helpful. It is a bit expensive, so watch for sales. Eckerd's Drug has its own brand and sometimes has buy-one/get-one-free sales on its house brands. The regular Aveeno is even OK for people on the Guai treatment despite the fact that it is made from oatmeal. It also has mineral oil. If you are on the Guai, watch out for the Eckerd's brand as they sometimes add Aloe Vera.

I bought a pair of those stretchy nylon gloves you wear in the shower to removed dead skin. I find these perfect to use with the Aveeno. Be careful when using them for the first time as they may irritate your skin. Be sure they are soaked or it's like using sandpaper on your skin. The gloves work well with soap too.

I do a nice warm water massage with my gloves which is very invigorating and, I imagine, brings increased blood flow to my limbs. This can be done in the shower of bath.

Love, Mikie
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Many of us suffer from dry skin due to being hypothyroid, taking medication, or just using our A/C and heating systems.

I have found that using Aveeno's bath and shower gel to be very helpful. It is a bit expensive, so watch for sales. Eckerd's Drug has its own brand and sometimes has buy-one/get-one-free sales on its house brands. The regular Aveeno is even OK for people on the Guai treatment despite the fact that it is made from oatmeal. It also has mineral oil. If you are on the Guai, watch out for the Eckerd's brand as they sometimes add Aloe Vera.

I bought a pair of those stretchy nylon gloves you wear in the shower to removed dead skin. I find these perfect to use with the Aveeno. Be careful when using them for the first time as they may irritate your skin. Be sure they are soaked or it's like using sandpaper on your skin. The gloves work well with soap too.

I do a nice warm water massage with my gloves which is very invigorating and, I imagine, brings increased blood flow to my limbs. This can be done in the shower of bath.

Love, Mikie
  3. klutzo

klutzo New Member

My dermatologist said I have the driest skin she's ever seen. I can't blame it on FMS, since I didn't get FMS until age 34. At age 14, when my friends were using Clearisil, I was already lathering on the Ponds cold creme every night. It was about the only thing available back then.
    However, now I have found something which leaves everything else I've tried (and I've tried them all) in the dust. It's called Eucerin, and you can get it at the grocery store or drugstore. It not only holds moisture in, but it has alpha-hydroxy acids which remove the top layer of skin that flakes. In only a few months, my heels are no longer shredded and cracked, most of my facial freckles are gone, and almost all of my liver spots on my hands are gone. I was a major sun junkie when younger, so this is nothing short of amazing. My legs no longer peel, and my fingers no longer crack and bleed. My once long fingernails have even grown back! I would not recommend this for anyone who does not have seriously dry skin as it is really thick and goopy, but my skin just sucks it up.
    Klutzo
  4. Gardengal

Gardengal New Member

I don't have dry skin - which is such a blessing considering the number of scorching hot baths and steams I take most days. But, my daughter has had eczema since she was 2 years old (she's 10 now) and Aquaphor is the only thing that comes close to working for her and is also the only product that does not sting her skin. It's thicker than Vaseline!, so is best put on at night with cotton T-shirts or old jammies.

We also have every lotion and cream know to modern civilization in our cupboards! Hope this helps - Amy