Dryness and Intimacy

Discussion in 'General Health & Wellness' started by mermaid01, May 26, 2004.

1. mermaid01

mermaid01 New Member

I am 59 and take a lot of meds because of FM. I am posting to this group because there may be more broad experiences/answers.

I am so dry that having sex is very uncomfortable and I just want to get it over with. That is not like me and I want to change the situation NOW! I’ve looked on store shelves for something topical that might help build up the lining of my vagina but can not find anything that works. I looked in the GNE (spell?) stores and tried one cream but nothing helped there either.

My doctor prescribed a cream but it cost $75. and I spend so much on meds now that the price was prohibitive.

Does anyone have a suggestion that is safe and actually builds up the thin lining of the vagina? You will certainly make two people very happy if there is help.
    Thanks in advance.
    baci
  2. SPR30

SPR30 New Member

I have this trouble too. It is bad and sometimes I tear as if I have never had intercourse. Being dry and having a loss of elasticity is common after a hysterctomy or menopause.It is important to use a quality lubricant, on yourself and your partner if needed.
    Being ill and taking meds, not to mention pain and stress make things so much worse.
    In my case, I am 31. I had a total hysterectomy nearly 2 years ago. I am taking Premarin and Progesterone, but it isn't enough for me. I have been using Premarin cream for a few weeks. I do no know the cost without insurance, sorry.
    It has helped some, so I wll contiune to use it. You just rub about a dime size amount on your vaginal area 2 times a week. Check with your doctor about this.
    I tried the most expensive Prgesterone cream ($35) from a health food store and it didn't help.
    Good luck!
  3. mermaid01

mermaid01 New Member

Thank you for your prompt post. I have a feeling the cream that you are taking is the prescription that the doctor gave to me on my last visit. We own our own business and I don't have good insurance (6000 deductable)because of my medical and FM history. I'm going to take the prescription to Canada on my next trip.

Does the cream help much? Keep me posted please. Thanks again for your information, I will not buy the expensive Prgesterone cream thanks to you.
    Baci
  4. SPR30

SPR30 New Member

The cream has helped me to feel more comfortable, but it hasn't solved everything. ( I rub about a half inch long squirt of cream on twice a week. Not quite as much cream as let's say the amount of toothpaste you would brush with, does that make sense?? I wear a pantiliner, but it doesn't seem to stain and I do this before bed). I still lack elasticity, but this could be caused in part or mostly from one of my meds. It causes constipation and that's dryness in the bowel essentially. I also have dry eyes alot too, so I may have Sjogren's. (I have FM, severe RA, OA, blah, blah, blah, you get the picture) I t is difficult to pinpoint all my troubles with my various ills and having had a hysterectomy at 29 was probably the catalyst that made my health so bad, instead of improving it like I thought it would....
    Any how, no, don't waste your $$$ on Progesterone creams from the health food stores....I have talked to a few other ladies that got no results or such poor results that they went back to the doctor for hormone Rx.
    I wish you luck and if there is anything else I can help with feel free to ask!
  5. JLH

JLH New Member

same problem due to menopause. I just use the KY Jelly lubricant. I have tried other lubricants, too, and they are all about the same, but KY is the best.

Use a generous amount. You can buy it in any drugstore or K-Mart, Wal-Mart, etc.
  6. SPR30

SPR30 New Member

This problem can go way beyond what OTC lubricants can remedy.
    When intercourse becomes painful or there is tearing it is very hard to deal with. It becomes neccessary for a presciption in some cases.
  7. twinburl

twinburl New Member

I have sjogren's syndrome and fms so lots of dryness for me. Actually vaginal dryness was probably my first symptom of sjogren's. I use estriol cream every day, just a dab my gyno gave me a prescrition for it and I have it compounded at a compounding pharmachy that has helped alot. Also go to wal-mart look for astroglide it it the best much better than k-y and always put some on you before sex, on him to and I promise you he wont mind a bit. lol Also the more sex you have the less dry you will become. I know that is hard to hear for some of us LOL but it has helped me. My dr said any kind of motion down there gets the blood flowing. Walking is also good. Hope this helps this is a tough thing to talk about for some of us.
  8. mermaid01

mermaid01 New Member

Twinburl, thank you for sharing the cream remedy as well as the use it or loose it comment. I will try your suggestion asap, well maybe just a little later Lol

This is the best place I've found on the net to post to and get credable answers.
    Thanks again
    baci
    PS My husband thanks you too
  9. Blueflora

Blueflora New Member

Im 54, did hormones and wondered why they never helped this prob. I also tried hormone creams and the Estring.- an estrogen-secreting inravaginal ring you wear for 3 months. The effectiveness was minimal.
    Ive been using Astroglide effectively, but just found out there is a difference between moisturizers and lubricants. A moisturizer could be even better.
    Check the labels in the drugstore and dont forget to use it internally.( I did) After a time, it actually does moisturize the lining, but as with all else about FM. it changes daily.
  10. mermaid01

mermaid01 New Member

Because of recommendations from this group I did buy astrotglide lubricant, unfortunetly it was the lubricant and not the moisterizer. Guess I will see if I can take the lubricant back and find the moisterizer; might as well do it right. I hope Walmart has what I need.

Thanks
    baci
  11. Debbie6041

Debbie6041 New Member

I don't know if this will help you or not, but since I started juicing 2 1/2 months ago for the first time I can remember my skin is not so dry, and my my husband has noticed that I am more moist in other areas as well.

I am 40 so I haven't went through the change of life yet, so I am not for sure if it will help you. But I belive it will. Because I ran into some that was in her 60s that said she had been juiceing for 7 years and her skin was just as shiny and moist as it could be. She told me just you wait you will be amased at how you will feel in a year from now and how much more moist your skin will be.

It will probably cost you $200 to get a decent juicer but at least it will not cost you $75 on a regular basis.

I juice once a day in place of lunch.

I hope this will help.

You may want to read my entry.

[This Message was Edited on 08/05/2004]
  12. mermaid01

mermaid01 New Member

Debbie, thank you for taking the time to share your experience with the juicer. I will consider buying the juicer, who knows it just might work!
    Thanks
    Baci