DSSI Approved only took 2 months

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by slevah, Jul 19, 2008.

1. slevah

slevah New Member

Praise God! OMG... I can't believe it. This is just a note to support and encourage you all to BELIEVE it can happen. I applied online, in May, and just received a phone call this AM (yes on a Saturday... they were working overtime!) that my application had been approved -- that's only 2 months!

I am still in shock after all the information and horror stories I have read about applying and being denied. I was prepared for an initial denial.

I should have done this over a year ago... but kept thinking I would get better... I didn't -- only worse. Then my private DI mandated I apply for DSSI.... yes they're going to get the initial lump sum (ouch) but I will now have a monthly income.

What a relief and blessing!!
    [This Message was Edited on 07/19/2008]
  2. kellygirl

kellygirl Member

Wow, what a miracle! Congrats!
  3. marti_zavala

marti_zavala Member

now you can focus on your health.

When you get past the disbelief, can you write a sticky note in the SS sticky at the top of the main page, outlining some details for others.

Maybe like did you have an attorney, what did you get approved for, what did your doctor do, did you have psych exams.

That kind of stuff.

To God be the glory,
  4. Hootie1

Hootie1 New Member

Slevah- what office called you? Was it Harrisburg or your local? Did you have to appeal or was this the initial one?
    What are your medical problems, if you don't mind me asking. I was disapproved and harrisburg should be setting up a hearing but my attorney will of course ask for an on the record.

Any advice. I also went to FFC but stopped. My CPN was 1:1024- crazy huh? I took meds for one year from them with no change at all.

I'm hoping to get approved. I stopped working end of Dec 06.
  5. slevah

slevah New Member

Thanks everyone for your comments. Yes, I'll make some notes soon!

Hootie1... it was my local office that called. Yes, I had an attorney, personally he didn't do all that much; BUT, if I had NOT had him I would NEVER have won my battle with my private DI(That was a nightmare and major stressor., so I used him for DSSI as well.) I read your profile and noticed you are in PA as well -- I am sorry SS is dragging yours out.

I have been diagnosed with FM and CFS. I also have HHV6, EBV and chronic CPN. [I have been on the Wheldon Protocol for over a year to eradicate the CPN (one antibiotic WILL not get rid of it -- see cpnhelp.org for more info!).

I believe a couple of things worked in my favor: 1) my age - I am 53; and, 2) my doctor wrote a VERY thorough letter documenting and explaining my health issues and why I am unable to work. I did not do any psych testing.

6. deb_46

deb_46 New Member

I'm so happy you did not have to jump through all the nightmare hurdles all the rest of us have had too. Congrats and enjoy!!

7. momof4kids68

momof4kids68 New Member

It's just great! I'm so happy for you.

I just got my approval May 30th. What a relief!

Take Care,

8. willruthie1965

willruthie1965 New Member

Tell me about your situation Did you have an attorney? What other illness do you have? Ruthie
  9. willruthie1965

willruthie1965 New Member

WHere is the ss information that people can share? RUthie
  10. jmq

jmq New Member

Thank you so much for sharing the great news. For those of us still going through the hellish process...it gives us hope.