Duh! How Dumb Can We Get!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by techno, Feb 23, 2006.

1. techno

techno New Member

Have you ever noticed that our memory and cognitive
    dysfunctions can cause us to get into arguments with our
    other family members, co-workers and friends?

Example:

"Don't you remember that you were supposed to pick
    me up at 7 pm"

Ah! NOooo....

"How come you keep buying another jar of mayonaise
    every week, we already have 5 in the cupboard."

Then when we remind them that we have memory problems,
    they get mad.... as if we are are trying to use our
    illness as a excuse or something.

Or with cognitive problems.........

"How come you made this error in calculating the cheque
    book balance"

"Why did you pay this bill twice"

Duh! I think i'm getting dumber and dumber every day 8*)
  2. lucita2k

lucita2k New Member

me memory is very bad, i dont remember names or where I put things, which is not very good for work. I also go through times when I will do something but then I come back to it and realize I've made a mistake and don't remember when I did it after all. I've left the stove on overnight (not good) and have forgotten to pay bills.
    Grocery shopping hasn't been bad since I started making lists and have my daughter help me with it. She constantly reminds me to bring the list with me and we make it together. She'll remind me of things we have to get, like ketchup and mayo.
    Sometimes I get scared when I try to remember things that happened earlier or the day before and I can't.
  3. MamaR

MamaR New Member

I can SO... SO relate to memory and cognitive problems.

And, yes I also struggle with people that can't understand that I am not the person that I used to be!

I have finally realized that it will not get any better with most of them. I just try to avoid those that I can (hate to say that) and deal with the ones that I must. This is the way I cope with it.

I had to smile when I read about the mayonnaise!! (-:

I had one in fridge... and two in cupboard!!
    That is just one item that is doubled in my cupboards.

But, I live in the country... and can't get into town as often as before...so it comes in handy sometimes.

The only thing I have to do now is... put the expiration dates in order!! We can smile about alot of this stuff...right?

Mari
  4. Bambi

Bambi New Member

it can feel like it, but it's all still up there and it will get better! I had the "fogs" so badly for a long time and it had gotten to where I felt like I was a two year old with some sort of speech problem, I not only couldn't remember anything I couldn't even say the words I could remember half the time.

I've heard different people on here say various things have helped them with this and you might go into some old posts on the subject? I had read somewhere about BComplex being helpful for some older people dealing with memory loss so I just decided to
    try it. For me it was the answer. I didn't notice anything the first few
    days really but by week two I was really seeing an improvement.

Now I go whole weeks without forgetting things, usually dumb umimportant things to anyone else, but things that drove me nuts when I'd forget them. Old movie stars names, phone numbers, where I put my
    underwear LOL!..yep, all sorts of things. And it's just gotten better and better. I also think the fish oil
    and flack seed oil have helped for some reason.

But whatever it is I almost forget I have the "fogs" entirely now. When I do forget something that is just plain old forgetting it almost scares me. And I DO still have those times, usually when I'm flaring, that I have a few...but overall they're gone.

Hangingin..I really got a chuckle out of your post! SO much of what you said was going on in my home also.

I hope you find whatever it is that will help you soon. I think it's different, like so much is, with different ones of us, but I think there's probably something for most
    of us that will do the job.Good LUCK!
  5. atpeace

atpeace New Member

I just had to laugh about the 5 jars of mayo! :)

I buy the snack room supplies for my office, and right now we have 4 boxes of plastic forks...and not one spoon or knife to be found. Every time I went to the grocery, I kept thinking we were out of forks.

Heck, I thought I was pretty smart for remembering that....until I got back to the office and opened the drawer to put away yet another box of forks next to the 3 already there. I just sighed and shrugged. What can ya do?

I won't even mention the time my husband found the iron in the refrigerator. Yeah, that was me. ;)

Lori

[This Message was Edited on 02/24/2006]