Dumb question re anti virals vs this dd

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Leaknits, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Leaknits

Leaknits New Member

First off would someone please tell me the diff between antivirals and antibiotics, if there is a difference? I've heard practically forever about antiobiotics but this antiviral word is one that's new to me.

Then I'd surely appreciate advice as to how to persuade dr to let me have ongoing treatment for infected sinuses, raw throat, sick lymphs. I have massive envy for the people who write here that they have ongoing treatment for some symptoms.

I've asked him at least twice if we could discuss ongoing abx, usually right after he rolls his eyes when I appear for an appt yapping about I need help for the again-infected and drippy sinuses, the throat, the lame lymphs, the fever which he claims is okay since I'm below the accepted "normal" and I've told him repeatedly that people who have this monster can run a supposedly low temp and be in the clutches of a fever. Got a very short answer: "No."

No explanation, just "No." He seems to think that the med failed because the symptoms recurred. It didn't fail; it worked until its' effects wore off and the d'd reared its' ugly heads again.

I'm still trying to find a dr who is literate regarding this cluster of symptoms. So far, no luck. Maybe if I keep calling the hosp and asking for name(s) of a dr who can treat the more overt symptoms they'll get tired of it and tell me of someone who really DOES get it.

Thanks in advance,
  2. marti_zavala

marti_zavala Member

antibiotics is for bacteria. Kill good and bad bacteria
    antivirals is for viruses. does not kill bacteria.

So, it would depend on the cause of the sinus issues.

Switch doctors. Try functional medicine or alternative.

You may have to pay out of pocket but traditional medicine is very lacking and you usually have to go through many doctors (in traditional medicine) before finding a good one.

Also, you could try a Lyme Literate doctor.

Google these or ask on the board.

3. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

please get a new doctor. perhaps you can find one on this site:

good luck
  4. charming

charming New Member

Antiviral is to kill viruses and antibiotics is to kill bacteria, viruses are not destroyed by antibiotics but bacteria can be destroyed by antibiotics.
  5. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

i think azithromycin is an antibiotic with some antiviral properties.
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

We have an excellent library right here and you can search on the web. There are experts in the field of CFIDS/ME who are having good results with antibiotics and/or antivirals. I had to take both, along with Heparin injections and transfer factors to get my chronic infections under control.

It is far easier to convince a doc if you have medical papers and research from several experts in the field. There are good docs out there willing to try things and good docs with experience treating our illnesses. Best of luck to you.

Love, Mikie
  7. Leaknits

Leaknits New Member

Hi to you all,

And thank you for the replies.

I'm pretty sure, since I have been bitten by a tick only once and that was long after CFS/ME moved in and made itself at home, that what's bugging me isn't lyme. :).

Switching drs would be a wonderful idea; it would also be wonderful if Dr Now wasn't the last one in Lake County CA who accepts my MediCare/MedicAid insurance.
    Please believe I've tried; I've phoned the hosp and asked for name(s) of drs who can treat CFS (this was before the Name Change thing started). I've been given the names of pediatricians, gynecologists, psychiatrists, and another specialties that I've brainfaded.
    Phoning and asking the front desk lady whether her boss had any CFS patients at each dr's office was eye-opening indeed. It seems the dispenser of info at the hospital just rattled off some names.

I live in the back of nowhere, practically, in Lake County Northern California. Nearest Functional Practitioner means a round trip of 100+ miles. Nevertheless, I'm ready to get on the phone on Monday and inquire about fees and The Big Question: Does dr treat CFS/Fibro?
    Since I haven't been able to ask her yet I'm not sure how my home-helper would feel about driving all those miles.

Oddly enough the CoCure list gives up just about the same info as regards travel distance, and it STILL bothers me that some drs are what's called "self-referred" to the list. But it's another place to try to get real help with this d'd, so okay.

Research; excellent idea. As soon as my carpal tunnel'd right hand heals, which got that way from doing research, I'll dive back in. Wait, what I should have said is that the dr-recommended wrist brace for CT isn't helping and it's been on my hand practically 24/7 (can't bathe, try to do easy chores around the house, etc., with the thing on) for 3 months, approximately.
    I have done lots of talking one-on-one with people who have CT, with the consensus pretty much being "The brace didn't ease the pain, in some cases it got worse, most of the people I talked with said the only way they got better was by going to a surgeon."

It's amazing what a wonder our thumbs are; try not using yours for half a day and you'll see what I mean. Tape it to the rest of your hand...or any other method which will mean you cannot use your thumb, it's immobilized, and give it a try.

Thank you again, dear people, for the replies!

8. Leaknits

Leaknits New Member

Hi again very quickly...

Something I forgot. I do print out information for dr and offer it to him. He tosses it in the trash, I go retrieve it and ask him to include it in my file.

Nope, can't do that. WhattaGuy.

Thanks again to you all,
  9. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

i am very sorry i sounded harsh on my last post.

stanford is only a 2 or 3 hours from you. perhaps you could find a way to see dr. jose montoya. he may have a waiting list.

there are several good doctors not too far from you. i realize cost may be a problem as it is for me, but please look at every avenue that you possibly can.

i have beeen sick over 15 years and have gone through everything you have - i even had 2 doctors tell me to get a boyfriend and i would feel better.

many doctors are closed-minded idiots who got into the field solely for the money.

10. Guaima

Guaima New Member

Sounds like you need to find a Dr. who will work FOR you and not roll his eyes at you. That is so degrading and I wouldn't go back to him.

11. Leaknits

Leaknits New Member

Hi, Sue:

Don't worry about sounding harsh; my goodness, we all have a bad day now and then.

You're right about Stanford. I ran it through mapquest and found that mq says it's 143.and a fraction miles from here. Trip takes about 3 hours one way.
    Now all I have to do is get my helper-person to commit to driving for 3 hours, wait for me while in with dr, and do the return. Please wish me luck?

Huh? Two "drs" told you to get a boyfriend and all would be well? Did those two ever get their heads removed from what has to be the darkest place in the world?
    Reminds me of one genius who, when I landed in an E R with galloping heart-rate that wouldn't slow down and behave itsef told me "You should go out and get a job requiring heavy manual labor; then you wouldn't have time to be so obsessed about yourself."
    Right. I'm sitting there trying to get my ticker under control, telling this cretin that what usually works is to hit it with 6 units Adenosine, and I'm obsessed. Well she likely was right. We have to be on top of what's happening with us because things can go from bad to Oh Golly in a hurry.

12. Leaknits

Leaknits New Member

You're right. I need a new dr. Actually Lake County CA could use a large number of Good Drs; perhaps when the folks creating a housing boom here start demanding decent medical care, the honchos at county medical services will see the need.

Then the trickle-down effect might happen and those of us who have to find drs who accept Poor People's Insurance
    a k a MediCare/MedicAid will also be better-served.

Hey a girl can dream, right?

13. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

hi lea.

no i deleted the post where i sounded harsh. you may not have read it lol

about stanford....i think you might have to pay out of pocket but i am not 100% sure. if you do.....do WHATEVER you have to do to get there. take out a loan...whatever. remember: you are fighting for your life.