Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Leaknits, Aug 17, 2008.

1. Leaknits

Leaknits New Member

And I'm hoping someone knows how to take a comp dunce by the hand and make the explanation as simple as possible.

Okay. Here's problem:

Often I post a reply to the originator of a thread. No problem.

The problem comes when someone later on down the line, X number of posts later, and leaves a few words regarding something I said earlier.

Here comes the question:
    How in the world do I place an answer after the X'th post? I click on Reply on the post written by the person to whom I wish to "speak," and bingo there's the first post instead of the one I wanted to answer.

I know there's a way to do this; someone long ago explained it and of course Brainfade wiped it out practically before it landed between my ears.

I'll write down the How To's this time, I promise. Then I'll lose the paper and gather my courage 6 months later to ask again but I will write it down.

Thanks in advance!
  2. justjanelle

justjanelle New Member

It's just that this message board does work differently than most of the others you may have visited.

What you're doing is actually the right thing.

If there is a thread with an originator, plus several replies below it -- you press the Reply button to reply to either the originator or any of the responses listed below that original post.

It's true that it does show you only the initial post, which may not be the one you actually want to reply to. There's nothing you can do about that. But when you do write your answer and then click the "Post this reply" button below your response, it will add your post to the others, at the bottom of the thread.

If you want to respond more particularly to one certain poster, you'll have to make a note of the person's signed name or username and you can then put that in the title of your response. Your response will still go to the bottom of the thread,rather than directly below the one you're replying to, but using the name of the person you're adddressing will help clarify which post you're responding to.

I hope this helps!

3. Leaknits

Leaknits New Member

And first off please let me apologize for not getting back here sooner.

Packing to move, these d'ds, PAIN, etc all colluded to make it so that I just couldn't do it.

Thank all of you very much for your help and ideas.

I really did think that somehow it was possible to respond to a particular poster, right after the message left by that poster.

Dunno why I thought that...I just did.

Now that I have read I was doing the right thing already eases my so-called mind, lol. :- ).

Again, my very large thanks!

4. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

It might also help to click 'shift' and 'reply' at the same time. This will give you a separate window so you can peek back at the parts of the thread that you're responding to.

5. kitteejo

kitteejo Member

This is to funny! I was experimenting just a minute ago on how I could read the other comments on the thread with not success. Just tried your tip and this works perfectly.

Thanks a bunch. With our foggy brains this will help a lot.

6. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

you can also right click on reply and select "open in new window" which will, well, open in a new window :) your reply window and then you can toggle back and forth so that you can see, as someone already said, the entire thread. I have sparingly been on other sites where the threads are probably like you are talking about with the outline format with answers coming down in a "tree" format. I personally don't care for those and find them more confusing.
  7. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

(Hope I spelled that right, I forgot to use my own trick, lol!)

Glad I could help....

8. Leaknits

Leaknits New Member

Dear people, thank you very much for the advice.

And: please accept my I'm sorry for the gap between posting my Huh? and right now.
    Beastly My Computer has been benched, due to moving, weird foul-ups twixt myself and the Confuser Company called MediaCom which I seem to pronounce with an "n" at the end in place of the "m," and oh yes, trying to unpack and find places for Where in the world did I get all this stuff??

I mean, I really was stern with myself re paring down my possessions. But there are still umpty boxes of books, record albums (does anyone besides myself still listen to those big flat black things that go round and round and produce music?)and please let's not mention the 40 quart opaque plastic bins with snap-on lids that contain more yarn than a large herd of sheep.

Hmm. Seems I've hijacked my own reply, by rabbiting off in a direction meant to make me feel better about those boxes still untouched, towering in 2nd bedroom and livingroom.

Anyway, thank you ever so for helping! Both suggestions are waiting in line to hopefully end up perma-filed between my ears. Hugs.