duragesic patch/ need help with it sticking!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by blast, Oct 30, 2002.

1. blast

blast New Member

Is there anything worth using so the patch will stick better and not come off or start to peel off before the three days are up?
    I'm having a heck of a time getting these things to stay on well enough to start getting relief.
    Thx,
    Sherri
  2. blast

blast New Member

Is there anything worth using so the patch will stick better and not come off or start to peel off before the three days are up?
    I'm having a heck of a time getting these things to stay on well enough to start getting relief.
    Thx,
    Sherri
  3. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

Many men would tell you a man's best friend, is duct tape!
    It'll hold darn near anything, ya'll :)
  4. kristine

kristine New Member

maybe try waterproof medical tape......i don't know if i would use duct tape-it might cause irritation, or worse, pull off some skin>>ouch....

here is a post from tracyv...
    I'm on the patch, 10/15/02 07:48 PM

I was put on them last year and stayed on them to this summer, I was switched to oxycontin, I went back on the patch last month. My reason for switching over the summer is because I'm in the pool daily and I was just having a problem keeping them on. Now that the pool season is over I asked to be put back on them. They are great for reliefing pain for me, I'm on the 50's. I also take loritab for breakthrough pain. I have tried the methodone also, I could not even drive to the grocery store or have a conversation without falling asleep while on that, it also gave me panic attacks. I don't have these problems on the patch, the oxycontin did well with the pain releif, but my stomach was having some irritation, and plus I'm not so worried about my patches being stolen(While on visiting relatives this summer I had some oxycontin stolen)
    Janson the makers of the patch will send you free clear patches to go over the patch,(it helps them to stay on so much better) just call them and tell them you've had problems with them staying on at times. They will send you a box of 50 at time, which in the drug store cost over $50.00. If your an active person there will be times that the patch will come loose, sweating is one thing that causes. My doctor told me to buy the clear gel deordorate and put over the area that your putting the patch, let it dry then put on the patch. I have found the best place for me to wear the patch is the upper breast area, the makers of them told me to never wear it below the waist, I'm not sure why, but I'm not taking any chances. They suggested the back kidney area, but I like to soak in the bath so that didn't work for me.
    They are heat activated so at first if you do some things where you get really hot you can get a little wozzie feeling because of the extra meds being released, never put a heating pad over the patch. Make sure you read all the materal in the box that came with them about disposal, they could very easily kill a pet, child or even another adult.
    I hope some the info helped.
    Hugs,
    Tracy

5. blast

blast New Member

thank you for bumping that post. I will call the company and have them send me the cover for them.
    I don't think I would put duct tape on my body. I have very sensitive skin and it could rip your skin right off your body!!!!
    Until then I will get the medical tape!
    Sherri
  6. TracyV

TracyV New Member

You can get the clear patches at the drug store also. They have some made by 3m. They are about 8 dollars for a box of 8. My doctor was under the impression that the pharmist would just give you patches to go over them if he wrote in the prescripition. They didn't at mine, it wouldn't hurt to ask at yours though. Try not to place them where you sweat alot.
    Happy Halloween,
    Tracy
  7. 51Sandy

51Sandy New Member

I've been on the "patch" for quite a long time. Went straight from Methadone to 75 Duragesic. The methadone really worked much better for me, but, the pain clinic I go to doesn't give the patient any say in their treatment. I need to find a doctor or clinic in my area - none in the doctor list - where they will LISTEN. Also, once you take that patch off, you can't put in anywhere else because there are dead skin cells on the patch and then it has to go thru another set of "dead cells" - yuck - and the drug can't go through all of that. I had taken my first bunch on and off because they bothered me so much in the beginning. I was in SO MUCH back pain I couldn't stand it. The pain clinic's answer was "oh well, that's all we're going to give you". They never asked how I was using them or where I was placing them or anything. Finally called Janson and those nurses were fabulous. And, yes, they did send me a box of 50 'skins' for free. They are quite large and take a while to figure out how to place them properly. By that time I knew what I was doing wrong and only had to use a few now and then. They'll tell you anything you need to know. Again, if anyone knows of a more "compassionate" doc or clinic in the Toledo area, I'd LOVE to hear about it. Thanks! Sandy
  8. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

I was just kidding bout the duct tape....I watch the Red Green show, on PBS. Don't know if you have ever seen it...but this guy is hysterical, and uses duct tape to fix everything. Sorry I should have clarified, in my post.
    Karen
  9. kristine

kristine New Member

...i figured you weren't serious....hehe...i personally love duct tape....one of the all time great inventions....i always have a roll...i would have duct tape withdrawal without it....kristine
  10. tedebear

tedebear New Member

Well, I first wash the area well. Then I blow-dry the area so there is no moisture or oils. Then apply the patch. Believe me after three days you have to literally pry it off. I even take bubble baths with it.
    Soft hugs.

[ advertisement ]