Duragesic Patches

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by chris350, Sep 14, 2005.

1. chris350

chris350 New Member

Hey guys,

Someone had asked me about the pathes so I thought I would throw my 2 cents out for everyone to read. I am now on 2 (100mgc) changing every 48 hours. These are extremely expensive. Luckily Jannsen has a program for those that have a low income or no income. I get mine for free for a year. I really like the patch b/c I get sick of taking pills. It keeps narcotics in your system all the time. I don't care what people say, narcotics do help the pain of Fibromyalgia. In fact, if I am exercising every other day or just stretch really well, I can live w/out breakthrough meds. Now I mean most of the time. There are times when I have to dip into breakthrough medicine. Sometimes I just plain hurt. Try the patches if you have been using something else for LT pain. I think it is good to switch up from oxycontin, duragesic, methadone so we don't get immuned to the dose.

Hope this helps someone.
  2. Francey54

Francey54 New Member

Dear Chris350:

I have heard about these patches and have wondered why my Rheumy has never even mentioned them for pain relief. In fact he never wants to give me anything because I have such a severe case of acid reflux. So I suffere needlessly and endlessly. I have really bad pain in my lower back, neck and both shoulders.

Question: Do you put the patch on the area that hurts? What if you have multiple pain areas, do you put a patch on each area?

Thanks.

Hugs,
    Francey
  3. orachel

orachel New Member

You don't actually have to put on site of pain, do you? Hope not, or I'll look like the Mummy!
  4. chris350

chris350 New Member

You can put the patch(es) anywhere. I usually put them on my chest. It gets into you system much quicker than you would think.

My new dr increased mine weeks ago. I have still not gotten the Jassenn place to coordinate w/ the doctor. 30 day suppply is about $600. I am seeing this dr, again b/c I am on my last patch - I will not make it through the weekend w/out anything. I have an appt. Friday. I don't know him very well so I don't know how he will act. His nurse has treated my like a drug addict b/c I have called each day this week but she has not called me back. It's not like I don't have a perscription - it is that I don't have %600 to buy the patches. So I need something to use until Jannsenn(co that makes the patches approves me for a higher strengh and I will get them free. This will be about a week)

People that work at these companies and give your wrong and different info each time you call - realy scares me.

5. Francey54

Francey54 New Member

Chris:

Thanks for the additional information. Gee $600.00 for a months supply?? That is really expensive but must really do the trick in keeping your pain at bay.

On my next visit to my Rheumy I will ask him about it. My pain warrants something much stronger than Tylenol Arthritis.

Hugs,
    Francey
  6. chris350

chris350 New Member

For those of you that are using the patches and are using Jansenn's patient program (getting them free) - If you have a change in physicians, it will take over 2 weeks to get the information to Jansenn. My dr. is no longer. I went to a new Doc 2 weeks ago. He wants to keep me on the patches but up the strength. The day I came home from the appt. (14 days ago exactly) I have been trying to get them to honestly tell me what needs to be done so I can fill my perscription. I have called each day for 14 days sometimes more than 1 time per day. I am yet to get the same 2 answers. I was promised yesterday everything was set up. I can fill my patches tomorrow which will be Sat. I just talked w/ them it is Friday 5:00 central time. I just called to verify I can fill these to be told no I can't fill them. They need a form faxed to them by my doctor 48 hours prior to me filling them. In 14 days this is the first time I have been told this. I will go the weekend w/ no patches.

Yes, it is a great benefit but it is not worth the hassle.