Duragesic patches

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by cathat31, May 11, 2006.

1. cathat31

cathat31 New Member

I went to the pain clininc yesterday after finding out I have a herniated disc alon with the fibro and advanced disc degenerative diease. I was gave scips for Flexeril, Lodine and Duragesic patches. I have read that the patches have caused deaths and it can cause your breathing to be shallow. I am scared to try them after what I have read. Does anyone take any of this medicine? If so what results did you have? I know everyone is different but I would still like to know how it effected others that were on the medicine ecspecially the pain patches.

Thanks
  2. shelby319

shelby319 New Member

Hi Cathat,
    I find they work very well along with the other medications I take to control the pain I have. Did you ask your Dr. about the side effects, etc. before leaving the office? He or She should of explained everything to you?/! Apparently they assume after all testings and how your history is, that you were a good candidate for these patches or else they wouldn't of given them to you.

I too have alot of disc problems along with many other health issues, including now the Fibro, so they have started me on the patches as well. I personally am not big on the use of them constantly, but they do work wonders and you don't have to take alot of other meds for breakthrough pain. Although those are the lucky ones I'm finding out! I also have to take 10 mg's oxycontin, which I prefer, and then take the Lorcet for breakthrough pain instead of using the patches.

So, to answer your question, I would ask your Dr again about how he feels about this type of medication and your concerns over the use of them. I only now take them when I have a severe flair up and only then. I also have a heart condition and they still felt I was safe with the use of the patches.

I hope you feel much better soon, and please ask the Dr. if you have any reservations about using them. When in doubt always ask the Dr.!!!

Have a sparkling day!
    Shelby
  3. cathat31

cathat31 New Member

I did ask the doctor about the side effects he said the good would out weigh the bad. I can not start them until the 20th of this month he wants me to finsh my loritabs first I have heard that most doctors give the patches and continue the other pain meds but maybe since they are not getting rid of the pain he wants me off of them. I was just curious about others who had used them. Thanks for your feedback.
  4. Tigger57

Tigger57 New Member

They are the main reasons that I can keep going. I don't keep going well, but I'm able to get up in the morning and hobble around for a little while and then work out the aches and pains to some degree.

These patches have been like a miracle for me. I just don't know how much longer that I can afford to take them.

Hugs,
    Tigger
  5. Treca

Treca New Member

I was on the patches for a year to a year and a half. During that time I went from starting at 25mg and ended up to 75mg when I finally stopped using it. My body got use to it way to fast and I was never able to wear it the 3 days it requires because I had really bad breakthrough pain. I was only able to wear them for 2 days then would have to change.

I really started to hate that and I didn't want to go up anymore and taking Norco to easy the breakthrough pain. When it worked it was wonderful. I didn't have to worry about taking any pills for a short period of time.

The only other thing that made me stop the patch was the re-action my skin had because of wearing them. I was only able to wear my patches on my hips. If I tried to put the patch anywhere else it would be like I never even put it on. I ended up having a lot of pain because of that so had to just keep the patches on my hips and then because I wasn't really able to give my skin time to breath I ended up having problems.

Though those were the only problems I had. If I could have stayed on them I would have. If you can get them I would recommend you try them. It does help with the pain and it doesn't hurt to try new things. :)

Take Care,
    Treca