Dursgesic patch ?? I'm afraid of them

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by campbeck97, Oct 17, 2008.

1. campbeck97

campbeck97 New Member

My Drs. office finally called me back and offered the Duragesic patch to be applied every 3 days for pain.I have read many stories about these and the side effects can be pretty bad.I'm afraid of them, so guess I will stay on morphine IR and m.s. contin but cant say they help that much.Wish there was a magical pill for pain for us all here!God Bless each of you, you are my prayers and I appreciate any that are sent up for me.
  2. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

My mom has been on the Fentanyl Patch for 5 years now and has very little side effects from this. If you are already taking Morphine and MS Contin there is a good chance you wouldn't have any adverse side effects. You'll never know until you try. It is possible that this patch could be a very good drug for you, I know the Fentanyl made a HUGE difference to my mom's quality of life and what she is able to do.

The biggest danger that there was with these patches was when they were made in a gel form but since they no longer make the gel form then this isn't an issue.
  3. bopsie

bopsie New Member

Duragesic is the brand name for Fentanyl patches. They come in several different strengths. Some people do get very good pain control.

You do need to contact your physician or whomever is on call for him.

Hope you get better.

4. 3gs

3gs New Member

I personally am not a fan of the patch.

I have used them in the past and they were a pain to keep on and the side effects got scary.

Beaware that if you decide to go ahead if you then decide to go off its a nightmare. Highly addicting.

I don't want to scare you but the patch was involved in a death in my family.

I know pain is not fun and you need releif. good that you research and theres lots of info on this site.

best of luck

5. caffey

caffey New Member

I used to be on ms contin and a couple of years ago was switched to fentayl patches. I haven't had any side effects and I find I have better pain control than with the ms contin. One thing, my pain guy wouldn't let me drive for 24 hrs. when I first started it just to make sure there is no problem. There wasn't. All the best.
  6. texasrose204

texasrose204 New Member

I know someone on a pain patch and she says she is unable to drive because of the patch. That is one reason i thought i wouldn't get on one, my pain makes driving or anything else hard enough.
  7. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

The problem with the patches not staying on has been fixed cause within the last year they have changed the way they make the patch and they no longer use a gel. The patch now sticks directly on like a bandaid. This change has also made the patch a lot safer because there is no chance of the gel getting ruptured and letting too much out cause they don't use gel anymore.

My mom doesn't drive but it has nothing to do with the patch. She could drive on it if she chose to drive.

The thing is that you might get side effects from the patch or you might not. Some people get them and some people don't. But that is the same with any narcotic or pain medication...you may or may not get side effects and won't know till you try.

I am currently maintained well on Oxycontin but I know there will come a time when the doctor suggests the patch and I know that I will not be scared to try it because of how it worked for my mom and because I know it is just like any other med as far as side effects go.
  8. harboreen

harboreen Member

'The biggest danger that there was with these patches was when they were made in a gel form but since they no longer make the gel form then this isn't an issue'

I don't quite understand this statement, can you please post additional info on this, like a short explanation as to how they've changed the gel?
    Is this Duragesic brand?
  9. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

They don't actually use a gel anymore. There used to be a layer of gel that stuck to the skin in between the body and the patch part. Now it is just a patch that sits flush against the skin. There is no gel anymore so therefore the gel cannot be punctured and release too fast. This new patch just sits on your skin, I am not sure exactly what the technology was that they used to make this change but I know my mom says it has been a great change and so much safer. This change has been made to all patches Duragesic (generic) or Fentanyl (name brand).
  10. caffey

caffey New Member

My pain guy says it is ok to drive. Except when you first start with the patches and every time they are increased my pain guy says don't drive for 2 days until my body adjusts. I am on 150mcg. changing it every 2 days. I don't take any breakthrough meds if I am driving.