Dust If You Must- My view on housework

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Mtnflower, Sep 9, 2003.

1. Mtnflower

Mtnflower New Member

Life is short.Enjoy It!.
    Dust if you must,but wouldn't it be better to
    paint a picture or write a letter,
    bake a cake or plant a seed,
    ponder the difference between want and need?

Dust if you must,but there's not much time,
    with rivers to swim and mountains to climb,
    music to hear and books to read,
    friends to cherish and life to lead.

Dust if you must, but the world is out there
    with the sun in your eyes and the wind in your hair,
    a flutter of snow, a shower of rain.
    This day will not come around again.

Dust if you must, but bear in mind,
    old age will come and it's not kind.
    And when you go and go you must
    you, yourself will make more dust.

My house may not be clean. I am too busy enjoying life.

Mtnflower

[This Message was Edited on 09/09/2003]
  2. angeldust

angeldust New Member

A clean house is the sign of a wasted life!
  3. Harper

Harper New Member

Thank you so much for this poem. I absolutely love it. I am going home early....but not to dust!

XXOO Harper
  4. victoria

victoria New Member

will have to post it along with my philosophy about having dogs and why the house looks the way it does...

...doghair scudding across the floor with every breeze! I read once where somebody combed their dog and knitted the fur into a sweater. If I had the energy, I could probably outfit the whole family in 3 months!

LOL, Victoria

[This Message was Edited on 09/09/2003]
  5. poodlemommy

poodlemommy New Member

I may sound weird but I love a clean house. I find it painfull to clean but the reward of a clean house out weighs the discomfort. I feel to scrambled if things are cluttered and messy. We are the type of household just puts things back where they belong after we use them. We dont hold on to stuff that isnt being used. I clean every week and once a month I pay a lady do come in and do a really good clean. I also find cleaning a great stress releiver. I have a friend with fibro whose house looks like a bomb hit and she stresses out every day about the mess and chaos around her. She hates looking at it yet wont clean it either. Just way to stressfull for me. I like clean and neat and feel its worth the effort to have it that way. It lowers my stress levels. It only takes a few hours a week and because we put things where they belong I dont spend time cleaning up every day. It really is not robbing me of my time at all. So that is my take on it. Thanks for posting this topic.
    poodlemum
  6. Sunshyne1027

Sunshyne1027 New Member

My three sons who are teenagers.. I walked past their room awhile ago, after finally making it out of bed. They are all gone at school. Clothes strewn everywhere, beds unmade, trading cards on their beds.. Looked like they were playing with them before sleeping.. They been posting football stuff on their walls.. They are OSU football fans..

I let it all lay where its at. Going to go on back up and not look at it in disgust, looking at it with love. They grow up too fast, one day I will want their room to look like that.. Like lived in.

:)

I don't care what the house looks like anymore, I like it to be somewhat neat, but not totally. I like my home to be filled with love, family and friends.

7. beh43

beh43 New Member

Hi mtnflower,

As I was clicking away on the old 'puter I noticed the dust on the keyboared shelf and thought to myself I really need to dust. I said what the heck I will surf a little while longer and ran across your post. Surfing is much more fun and the dust can wait.

Thanks for the laugh,
    beh
  8. stillafreemind

stillafreemind New Member

This was a nice is little upper for the day! I had to laugh when I read Victorias post about her dogs hair. I have three dogs and watch the ole fan put them into flight across the floors everyday! Even when I sweep, I still see em. Heck..all three of them should be bald by now!

Thanks again Aaron! ..Sherry
  9. spmary

spmary New Member

Hi...Love your name! Also the view on dusting.I agree.
    My house is messy enough for the children to enjoy it and clean enough not to be hazardus. I would like it to be neat and clean when friends drop by, but too lazy to keep it that way. lol Mary
  10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Is that we let go of having to be supermoms, superwives, superhusbands, superdads, superhousekeepers, etc. I do find, though, that being as organized as possible helps me to cope with my illness. I always put my keys in the same place as I do my purse. My shrink suggested that people with cognitive and memory problems do better when everything is organized.

I only dust when I can draw pictures in the dust with my fingers :) My little Roomba robotic vacuum keeps my floors crumb and lint free without any effort on my part. I loooooove little Roomba. Shirl has one too and loves hers. Electronic air cleaners help keep the dust down and keep the air better in my condo too.

I try to keep things picked up, but I don't worry if things are not super neat and clean. Life is too short.

Love, Mikie
  11. BethM

BethM New Member

up to a point, I agree. However, my two adult sons moved back home this summer, and we have had some interesting 'discussions' about cleaning up after oneself! Thought I trained them better than that, but 2 years of living on their own diluted all that training.

I have learned to tolerate a certain amount of clutter and dust, but after that I HAVE to clean! Too stressful if I don't, can't live in the mess after awhile. Problem is, vacuuming kills my back and my hands. I left the vacuum cleaner out for 3 days and nagged before younger son finally vacuumed the carpets. That in itself is stressful. Once we get the house in some better order with all the stuff the kids brought home, I want to look for a housekeeper to come in once or twice a month. That will do a lot for my peace of mind, if we can work it into the budget.

Oh, and yes, we ignore most of the dog hair. White lab = LOTS of it! He lives to shed. If I could spin and knit it, would make a lovely sweater!

Priorities in life, that's what we need!

Peace,
    Beth.
  12. keeponsmiling

keeponsmiling New Member

Thanks for sharing! Although I have to agree with poodlemum. I get a great deal of satisfaction from a clean, tidy home. Not perfect, which is what I USED to strive for. Those dust bunnies under the bed aren't going to hurt anyone! LOL

Even when I'm wiped out a bit when I'm done, it feels really good to look around and see the end result. And being organized helps a lot with those "brain fart" days. You all know what I'm talking about. :p I do minor picking up on a daily basis, but I try to give the house a thorough cleaning every two weeks.

I take a lot of shortcuts now to housecleaning. I have a Rainbow vacuum and air filter, which keeps the dust and dirt down to a minimum. And I've recruited my 15 year-old son with some of the harder stuff like scrubbing the tubs and bathrooms. Don't know what I'll do when he goes off to college. :p

And as for those dust bunnies under the bed? My new philosophy is... a true friend doesn't CARE if you have dust bunnies and won't go looking for them!

Cheryll

13. Antenbunny

Antenbunny New Member

I like to dust
  14. Cathryn03

Cathryn03 New Member

Mikey, I so agree that I have had to accept my limitations. But as others have expressed, I cannot stand a dirty house. I can ignore the dust for a while but do a good cleaning every two weeks at least, this with the help of my husband and 2 kiddos. The youngest is only 8 but she is so helpful to dust the low spots where she knows it is hard for me to get. My 13 year old son does the tub scrubbing and vacumning. I just turn up the music and we all go to work. I suppose it is somewhat of a ritual...lol. We also have 2 air filters and an allergy filter for the central heat and air which cut back on the dust. Of course the pet hair adds to the work, with 3 cats and 1 dog, but they are our children too.

My home is my castle and I do get a wonderful feeling looking around and seeing it neat and clean, even though I pay for it physically the next day and sometimes longer. This way I feel no quilt relaxing in a clean house. It seems to make my life "brighter". For many years I was totally obsessive compulsive but as I've aged I've found that life really is too short to be the perfectionist I was for years.

I do like the poem though and sometimes find myself wishing that I didn't mind dust and grime. It doesn't bother me at anyone else's home,(unless we are talking absolute filth).. only my own.
  15. jadibeler

jadibeler New Member

I swear the dust in Texas is alive and determined to take over the houses that are built on it! It's not normal dust, either, it's tiny, tiny grains of sand! It comes back before I'm completely done dusting. I've decided to ignore it until it starts developing dunes.

As for the dog hair, that gets ankle deep at times (especially in the spring). I have 7 dogs but the only one that sheds is the big, semi-long haired one, and he leaves clumps of it that roll like tumbleweeds. Between that and the sand they bring in I decided to go carpetless. I have a little bare floor vacuum (electric broom type) that is quick and easy to zip around the floors.

I try to put everything back where it belongs as soon as I use it but I'm usually in too much of a hurry. Both my husband and I are born clutters (which my mother tried so hard to suppress)and believe it or not I know where things are in the clutter. When I feel up to dealing with it and put things away somewhere I can never find them again! A shortage of storage space doesn't make it any easier. I let things pile up because I just don't know where to put the stuff!

I've always wished I could afford a housekeeper, even once a month.

JoAnn
  16. Blond

Blond New Member

I am a Virgo,we are perfectionist BUT at this stage of the game,I simply can't do it.All the ones that have help,U have no idea how lucky you are......I have none.....these ppl(My Family...:)) still think I can jus go -N- go like there's no tommorrow,I CAN"T......it is a mess till I have the energy and in less pain than normal,to be able to clean it.It does cause me more stress than I already have,I wish i had some help....These ppl do nothing,they will actually wait allll week while I am gone to my grand-ma's for me to come home an deal with whatever it is they didn't.O i get soooo mad....it's like i'm living with a bunch of pre-schooler's....But they are MY Family.....It's not like i can trade them in or anything,lol.By the time i get it cleaned I'm wiped out an in the bed for days jus to get up an see everything I worked soooo hard on.....A mess again.Look I have a husband who thinks he has really gone outta his way if he takes the garbage outlol.....we have been together 9 yrs,he has washed dishes 1 time....thats terrible I Know......I tried the....I won't do nothing test......All it did was leave me MORE to do.........Boy did I vent.....:)Blond
  17. Cactuslil

Cactuslil New Member

That is one OCD Americans seem to value! What you say is true. I can't even visit my mother, who is 80, she always seems to be in the middle of mopping. I truly feel sorry for her. CactusLil'
  18. Lexied

Lexied New Member

I absolutely LOVE your poem!!! It made me smile & then LOL!!
    Thank you for cheering me up... I think I'll just let the house go one more day!

Hugs - Lex
  19. RENA0909

RENA0909 New Member

Hi mtnflower!
    I loved your poem!I see the dust and I hate it!!!!I do have to tolerate it because i cannot clean any more with the fibro and athritis in spine but I am like some of the others on here who cannot stand it lol.I have to have everything put away as if I see clutter I feel uugggghhhh! I cant stand THINGS like ornaments all over the place and had to de-clutter my house so i can live de-stressed.I hate any FLOWERY things like curtains or bedspreads cos they are too cluttery for me and give me claustrophobia lol!I am really thinking of getting a lady to clean for me as it does make me feel ill when i can see it but not do it.
    I still take the time to smell the roses tho lol
    RENA UK

[This Message was Edited on 09/13/2003]