Dyshidrotic Excema Anyone else have this?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JewelRA, Jun 30, 2008.

1. JewelRA

JewelRA New Member

I have this rash on the palms of my hands that is basically little tiny clear blisters that will eventually burst and dry up. It has come and gone over most of the last 12 years. Sometimes it is just a nuisance, and sometimes it is really itchy and painful!! I have seen a dermatologist about it and have used various topical steroids to treat it with good (albeit temporary) success.

I was just wondering if anyone else had this problem, and
    1) if you had ever read what the actual CAUSE is
    2) if there is any more natural way to treat it, because I am concerned about the long-term use of even topical steroids.
    3) is it yet another condition common with FM/CFS (it seems like I did read it was common with multiple chemical sensitivity, which I am positive I have)

[This Message was Edited on 06/30/2008]
  2. poets

poets Member

I've had that on and off for years. It's very annoying and I always figured that it was some sort of allergic reaction or something. I've never really found out what the cause was. If anyone knows, could you enlighten us?

3. resignedtofibro

resignedtofibro New Member

Hi! I also have this condition and I developed it around the same time I developed sx. of FM and CFS, which was about 2 yrs. ago. I have read somewhere that stress and anxiety can cause it, which does causes flare ups for me and I wouldn't doubt that the chemical sensitivity has something to do with it too. I use a topical steroid to treat it also, but I don't know of any natural type things you could use to treat it.
  4. sleepyinlalaland

sleepyinlalaland New Member

I was attempting to hold a very stressful job. I had seemingly random small but VERY ITCHY and painful blisters mostly on palms of hands or between fingers. In my opinion they are directly related to stress which causes an upset in our hormonal system, which causes release of too much histamine. Below I've pasted info from two articles; one on the role of histamine in HIVES (which I think also relates tothese blisters), and the other article is a definition of dishydrotic (new word for me) excema.

The research on the correlation between stress and hives is far more extensive than ever imagined and in its analysis, the verdict is clear. The effects of hormonal imbalance caused by the body's reaction to long-term stress is proven to be a substantial threat to good health. The body's inability to maintain equilibrium in its delicate biochemical balance due to ongoing stress causes a scientifically measurable increase in the overproductionof many hormones. Excess hormones produced for extended periods of time, such as, adrenaline, cortisol,and VIP, has been linked to a wide range of conditions and illnesses. One such condition that occurs can cause excess hormones to mimic the defensive action of antibodies in mast cells, creating a large release of histamine in the skin. The result of that progression can lead to a reaction that mirrors an allergic response, such as acute or chronic idiopathic hives. The same stress reaction in others can exaggerate an existing case of hives. Taking into account all the evidence shown, stress is a viable factor to be considered in the etiology of chronic idiopathic hives.

Dyshidrosis is a skin condition that is characterized by small blisters on the hands or feet. The name comes from the word "dyshidrotic," meaning "bad sweating," which was once believed to be the cause. Sometimes called pompholyx (Greek for "bubble") which is generally reserved for the cases of deep-seated pruritic vesicles.

While this condition is not contagious to others, recurrence is common and for many can be chronic.

Small blisters with the following characteristics

» Blisters are very small (1 mm or less in diameter). They appear on the tips and sides of the fingers, toes, palms, and soles.
    » Blisters are opaque and deep-seated; they are either flush with the skin or slightly elevated and do not break easily. Eventually, small blisters come together and form large blisters.
    » Blisters may itch, cause pain, or produce no symptoms at all. They worsen after contact with soap, water, or irritating substances.
    » Scratching blisters breaks them, releasing the fluid inside, causing the skin to crust and eventually crack. This cracking is painful as well as unsightly and often takes weeks, or even months to heal.
    » Fluid from the blisters is serum that accumulates between the irritated skin cells. It is not sweat as was previously thought.

» Unknown, but commonly linked to excessive sweating during periods of anxiety, stress, and frustration. Some patients reject this link to stress.
    » Not caused by sweat retention, as was once believed, however, skin kept damp will trigger or worsen an outbreak. For this reason, natural fibers for gloves, socks, and shoes are preferable to man-made materials that do not breathe as well.
    » Inherited, not contagious.

Topical non-prescription steroid creams
    Zinc oxide ointment
    Hydrogen Peroxide
    Stress management counceling
  5. texangal81

texangal81 New Member

When I was 7, I had exactly what you describe, yet I haven't had it since. My mom always thought it was some kind of poison ivy type thing, since we had just purchased a very wooded lot to build a house on. But the more I learn, the more I think I've had the tendency towards FM for a very, very long time.

The good thing about the rash was that I was a still finger-sucker at age 7. My mom told me if I put my finger in my mouth it could spread and I could get very very sick. I feared death more than I liked that finger *LOL*.
  6. JewelRA

JewelRA New Member

Thank you for posting that information. I DEFINITELY think stress makes it worse! It just seems like my nervous system perceives EVERYTHING as stress lately, know what I mean? Sigh...

That was intersting about the hydrogen peroxide treating it. I will have to try that.

Also, I went ahead and made an appointment with my derm doc. I haven't seen him in several years, so I think it's time. LOL.

Thanks everyone.