E. R. And Fibro Flare?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by orionshines94, Aug 31, 2003.

1. orionshines94

orionshines94 New Member

Has any one went to the E. R. with severe pain? If so, What was the treatement? I need a Doctor Mine moved out of state a year ago. Sheila Topeka, Ks.
  2. EZBRUZR

EZBRUZR New Member

Sheila,
    I'm sorry to read about your pain. I can only say from experience-"if you do NOT EXPECT to much, you will not get let down ". I have not yet encountered a Pleasent experience in ER,I do live in different State,hope you will GET Treatment.If you are stressed emotionally due to pain & sleep loss,TAKE someone with you!!!!Some DR's go to work W/O others feelings in mind.

Peace,
    eZ
  3. lorraine50

lorraine50 New Member

I have went to E.R. for severe chest pains and was treated well. They acted as if i was having a heart attack even knowing I probably wasn't...It was unbearable when i went to the e.r. but they took wonderful care with me...
  4. Susan07

Susan07 New Member

I too went to ER w/severe chest pains. Told them I had FM, of course they checked all the heart stuff first. When not heart they gave me strong pain medicine. I was treated very well and was finally able to get a scrip for vicodine. I've been able to get 2 refills and now my regular PCP will not refill - dang!

P.S. The first thing they did was put oxygen on me - I really think that helped relieve some of my pain!
  5. Momskelleygirl

Momskelleygirl New Member

SATUARDAY MORNING I HAD VERY BAD FLARE, INCLUDING MIGRAINR, WAS TREATED VERY WELL TILL THE DOC CAME, HE WAS OKAY, BUT HAD DECIDED THAT I HAD WANTED TO BE ADMITTED, THEN HE WENT AGAINST MY DOCTORS PLAN OF DEMEROL I.V (USUALLY AT LEAST 100MG OR WHAT EVER TEHEY DOSE IT AS, AAND ONLY GAVE ME 75)
    SENT ME HOME IN A LITTLE LESS PAIN, SLEPT FOR A FEW HOURS,, AND WOKE UP WITH THE WORSE MIGRAINE IN MY LIFE, WENT BACK TO E.R. GOT THE SAME DOC. WHO BY THEN MADE MY DOCTOR, BELIEVE I WANTED TO BE ADMITTED. GOT A LONG LECTURE A SLEEPING SHOT AND WENT HOME. sINCE i'VE BEEN DX WITH THISDD ALL THE OTHER DOCS IN E.R. HAVE BEEN PRETTY GOOD.

iF YOU DO GO, AND FEEL THE DOCTOR SI NOT TREATING YOU RIGHT, ASK FOR ONE WHO WILL.

HOPING ALL YOUR DEALINGD WITH E.R.'S TURN OUT TO BE GOO D ONES.

KELLEY
  6. RachelLeah

RachelLeah New Member

I went to the E.R. last December 2002. I had really bad nausea and severe pain all over my body. I told them I had been diagnosed with fibromyalgia about 6 months ago but that I didn't know if that's why I was in so much pain. I expected them to run tests and stuff on me. First the triage nurse said to me,"hmm, you're 20? How'd they diagnose you with Fibro at 20?" That made me really mad. Then the Dr. came in and started hitting up and down my spine with her hand. It hurt so bad I wanted to turn around and smack her. I knew right then she didn't know a thing about FMS because she wouldn't be hitting my spine like that. She didn't touch any trigger points. That's basically all the examination I had.
    I didn't go there expecting them to understand my condition very much, but I was dissapointed with the way they treated me. They did, however, give me a shot of phenergren (not sure on spelling) for the nausea and then Methadone through I.V (because that's what my doc had me on at the time). Then they sent me home and told me to follow up with my Primary Doc.

Sorry to hear your Dr. moved. I think the whole E.R. experience depends on if you get a doctor that is knowledgeable about Fibromyalgia. Hopefully if you tell them you've been diagnosed with FMS they will help you out. Good Luck.