E-READERS anyone?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by 3gs, Feb 22, 2011.

1. 3gs

3gs New Member

Anyone have an e-reader? I got one for xmas.

So far its great. biggest perk was I was becoming more housebound and couldnt get to library.

I have the KOBO from Borders. I can buy anywhere and download from library. Did you know you can also download books to computer and read on it?
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I bought it a while back before there were good ones with color. I didn't want one of the glossy ones which you can't read outside. The Kindle, and some of the others, use what they call, ink technology. It's just like reading a paper book. It's only B&W but most books I read are.

Our library was infested with bedbugs and I vowed never to go there again. I like to read in bed. Yikes!

Love, Mikie
  3. jole

jole Member

I love to read, but rarely leave home so rely on my kids for my books. I've seen the Kindles advertised and thought about getting one. Don't know the difference between the brands. Also, is it expensive to get the 'books' for them?
  4. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

HI All,

DH loves to read, I do too butnot as much - to busy or can't concentrate long enough, it depends on the book.

We never had an e-reader but have a Kindle and all you do is down load the books from Amazon, all or most books at about $10. Don't know if you have to pay or borrow from the library to download ontothe e-readers. We both love the Kindle. DH wasn'tsure he would like them as he loves books so. He is 73 yrs old and really enjoys the Kindle. I do too, much lighter than a heavy book, and less expensive. Have no idea how much the e-readers are either. I forget the prices the Kindles are - either $139 or more. It depends on the size you want, I think. You can order the books on -line from computer or Kindle. Kindle also has spell check and other things - really cool.

I hope you love the e-reader. It mgith be cheaper than the Kindle though. They are both amazing devices though.

5. 3gs

3gs New Member

Kindles have the down fall of only being able to order books from Amazon and not downloading from library.

I researched all and had decided on the sony reader,however as I said the Kobo was a gift.

books are so cheap for e-readers. A book can be 26.00 and cost 16.00 for e-book. also thier are thousands for free. they range from .99 up.

prices are also coming down on e-readers.
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

The same books are available regardless of the source. Amazon will download to other readers besides the Kindle. The Kindle, and other e-reader devices, usually come with wi-fi only or with 3G. With one of them, the 3G is free and with the other, it costs $30 a month. Can't remember which is which. I only paid $139 for the wi-fi Kindle. I figured I would never be without wi-fi when I had the urge to download.

As I've mentioned, if I were looking to buy an e-reader today, I would research them all. Still, I'm very happy with what I have. There is soooo much overlap between tablets, laptops, e-readers and smart phones today that one hardly knows what to get. Every now and then, technology takes a HUGE leap and this is one of those tiimes. You can buy something and five minutes later, it's obsolete.

Love, Mikie
  7. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

With all these gadgets everything keeps on getting updated so often, it is crazy. Our son says wait on getting any new kind of smart phone and thing, s as everything is getting updated sooo quickly. He works in computers for a living. These darn things do almost everything except cook the dinner and wash the dishes :)!!

Hug to all,
  8. victoria

victoria New Member

including your local library through the overdrive subsccription, which is free as it is paid with tax dollars...

Here's a list of supported devices whether you want to read, listen, or even watch videos:

If you google " free ebooks " you'll come up with a lot, but here's one site that lists supposedly the top 20:

Hope that helps. I download audiobooks from the library to my computer, have yet to use an mp3 or other device tho. One of these days however, I'm going to. I have also noticed (if I remember right) that compatibility may differ according to title for some reason.

9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

For a Motorola smart phone/notebook computer combo. The phone docks on the notebook so that it can share everything without having to upload or download info. The smart phones have so many apps which can be very practical that I'm anxious to get one but I'm waiting too. Just trying to decide on which phone is best and then try to match that with the service/plan that is best is mind boggling. Also, the data plans can be expensive. For now, I'll use my old phone which isn't smart but has a lot of desirable featuress, including a touch screen, and is very small.

I believe that eventually we won't be getting our TV/phone/internet through cables and dishes. It'll likely be broadcase wirelessly to our homes. I would like to see more competition as I think the costs for all these services is too high.

Love, Mikie
  10. spacee

spacee Member

for me to read what you computer savy ppl do. :) What I want to know is, why did I get
    the 'subset' of whatever it is that I have, that causes you to lose most of your brain cells.
    I was like this at 36 yo.

It's exciting times with the electronic world always changing.

11. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I had to learn to use computers in my work way back in the 80's. Back then, you got a dark screen when you booted up your computer with a floppy disc. All you saw was a blinking curser. You had to know DOS commands in order to get the computer to do anything. It's amazing how far we've come now with desktop icons and menus ready to perform for us.

I would think it could be very intimidating now unless one has been using technology all along. It amazes me when I see Senior Citizens down here who just jump in fearlessly and learn how to do it all. It's a whole new world for them. Others have been left behind by the technology revolution. I'm somewhere in between. I'm also lazy. I only learn what I have to in order to do what I want. Chances are that if I knew more about the capabilities of these gizmos, I'd get a lot more out of my tinkering with them.

Love, Mikie
  12. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

I want to purchase a electronic reader but don't know which to choose. I had thought the Kindle but not being able to download from libraries is an issue for me.

At the present time paper books are published in American Editions and Canadian and/or British Commonwealth Editions. This distinction is very important to collectors. Is there a similar distinction made on the electronic versions of these same books? and if so, does one need an American or Canadian/British version of the reader. In other words can you read an e-book published in the UK on a U.S reader?

I'd appreciate any answers, ideas or speculations you may have.

Thanks, Anne Theresa
  13. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

We bought one for my son for Christmas. He's 23. He LOVES it. He did tell us which one he wanted (or I'd have no clue). I did a lot of research and read tons of reviews. The Kindle has great reviews!
    I bought the slightly more expensive one ($189) and I"m not sure why. I couldn't ask my son because I didn't want him to know that we were getting it for him. IF he's ever in a place that doesn't have wireless, he'll still be able to use it?

Anyway - a good recommendation from us here! The Kindle!
  14. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Anne Theresa, I'm sorry but I have no idea how to answer your question. I know that I've read books where color is spelled, colour, etc. and I would think these would dowload just like any book but I'm not sure. I don't even know who might know the answer. Wish I could help.

Janalynn, yes, you can use data service with the 3G models if you don't have wi-fi available. Some of the e-readers are also MP3 players and have other features which would use the 3G capability.

Diane, I believe that the iPhone can be used as an e-reader and I imagine the Androids may also be used. An i-Phone fits into a pocket. The beauty is that if one wants to, one can transfer the book to an iPad. Don't know whether this would work with the Androids or not. There are just too many choices out there. Yikes!

I finally got good enough to program my own little menu on the old DOS PC so I had a shortcut once I booted up my machine. I wouldn't have a clue how to do anything on these new machines. It's a good thing that Windows 7 is so intuitive.

Love, Mikie