Ear and Head Congestion

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by greatgran, Jun 7, 2009.

1. greatgran

greatgran Member

Not sure where to post this but was wondering how many of you are bothered by Ear and Head congestion. I seem to have it all the time, first thought it was sinus infections which I am sure sinus plays a role in it . The Ear congestion is horrible of the morning and my 24/7 ear ringing is so much worse.

I have had allergy testing, no allergies,did not have the food allergy testing. The doc says my sinuses and ears look .. I don't have the sinus pain just head seems congested and feels weird but my ears and driving me nuts. Also it causes my anxiety, fatigue, and body aches to be much worse.

Could this be part of CFS?? Am I the only one that has this . I have tried long term antibiotics and I do feel better after the antibiotic treatment but then it returns sometimes within a day or two of stopping the antibiotic.

I also have blurry vision, my eyes sting and water, but my eye exam was ok. This isn't often as doesn't bother me since it isn't all the time but this ear congestion and head thing I just don't know what to do.

Any input would be appreciated..
  2. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

I have had all three almost constantly since getting ill with CFS/FM. I always had some sinus problems but that only happeded in the winter. Now I have year round congestion, also more and more of the ringing in my ears as time goes by, the blurry vision and watery eyes and sometimes headaches in the back neck area and the ringing in my ears is so loud that I have to use a sound machine to muffle the noise so I can sleep.

When I have an infection on top of it, I take antibiotics and feel a little better for a while but then it all just comes back. I have thought it's just part of this disease. Sometimes I feel like there is a fluid or a gas that just moves around from one area of my body to another. There is always pressure and pain with the feeling and it moves around. I know this sounds a little weird but that's the only way I can describe the feeling. I've wondered if anyone else feels like that.

3. greatgran

greatgran Member

Thanks for your reply, I was beginning to think I was the only one with this problem. I can relate to the feeling of fluid or gas moving around. I too wonder if anyone has this feeling.

What does your doc say or is he or she clueless like mine? I once had one tell me it was depression/anxiety, yes I have that too but its comes from the darn ear and head thing.

As I mentioned I was tested for allergies but all came back negative..

Have you tried any treatments that help relieve this misery?

Someone suggested Mucinex, have you tired it?

Sorry, you have this but glad I am not alone.

God Bless,

4. 3gs

3gs New Member

I too have been having my ears drive me crazy. Actualy after reading your post the congestion of head and ears is a good description.

My ears feel full,itch and hurt like your getting an ear infection. Also the stuffed head is it a sinus infection thing. I did go into the doc and she found some wax in one ear(wax also seems gooey).

Like you antibiotics helped. Oh also get the ringing and blurry vision. All symptoms came back and went back to doc and left without getting ears recked!!!!!

This is driving me nuts. Think I'll make appt. with an ENT. I'll let you know if I find out anything. My upper cerivcal doc used to help.

Have read many of your posts about this. Hope u find relief soon
  5. ourlife

ourlife New Member

I too have been having the ears ringing and sinus problems. I went to the dr. and i have an ear infection, they gave me drops. My sinuses will not clear up after 2 rounds of antibiotics as well as chest congestion. I cant get rid of this mess.

Also my left eye has been watering and both eyes blur up every so often.

Is all this part of FM/cfs?
  6. Pansygirl

Pansygirl New Member

Since getting sick with fibro last april 2008 I've had this off and on. I get the sinus
    headaches alot! At times I have drainage , but usually not. I usually try over the counter sinus/allergy meds and that seems to help some.

Actually last april when I first got sick I went to the doctor and he said I had a sinus infection
    and while on antibiotics I felt better but then it came right back . Then last summer I was diagnosed with Fibro.

I also have the ringing in my ears but I've had that alot of years and also wear
    hearing aids and I'm only 44 yrs old......but the hearing loss is hereditary. So I'm used
    to the ringing in my ears.

I do get the blurry vision sometimes but it's not very often.

You said you have ear congestion but I have extreme ear pain from time to time, not sure
    if it's related or not.

This pain starts at my jaw bone and goes into the outside of my ear and into my ear some too. I've been to the doctor before for this when I thought I had an ear infection but I didn't. :( The pain from this is excruciating!

When it is worse for me I try to drink extra water and make sure I take my vitamins,

I'm sorry I wasn't more help but I wanted you to know your not alone.

gentle hugs, Susan

7. vickiw

vickiw Member

Hi gg,

since you haven't had tests for food allergies, have you tried on your own to emliminate things from your diet on a rotational basis? It's possible that the symptoms are caused by something you're eating.

I started suffering from sinus headaches after ME/CFS diagnosis. While trying a strict candida diet, I eliminated milk (and milk products) for a month and voila! the sinus headaches subsided. It took me a little while to narrow it down to the milk since I had eliminated quite a few things on the diet.

It was hard to give up cheese and yogurt, but it's great to have one less symptom! Those sinus headaches were awful.

8. vickiw

vickiw Member

Your remark about going to the doctor thinking you have an ear infection rang a bell for me. A number of years ago, I went to the doctor twice thinking I had an ear infection. I had pain similar to what you're describing, not related to any congestion.

The second time I went, the doctor told me to see a dentist about this pain - so I did. It turned out my upper wisdom teeth were the problem - causing a "deferred" pain. Having the teeth pulled cured it.

On the other hand, my brother went to the dentist for tooth pain and it turned out he had a roaring sinus infection.

The nerves in these areas must be looped around eachother :)
  9. greatgran

greatgran Member

Thank each of you for your replies. Its a crazy thing to have. This morning I awoke and the congestion wasn't so bad but then the head thing starts. I don't know what is wrong with my head . Its like its pressure, I am off balance, and feel like I could scream, I had the greatgrans and had to send them home I just couldn't handle any noise. They are very good but I wasn't able to fix lunch etc. I don't like for them to see me this way. I couldn't think, that is not to unusal but this was bad. I wish I could describe these weird head feelings...
    I did go lie down and the feeling has eased up some, I don't feel as crazy, I guess its all related to cfs.

Excerise, I can't except for what light house work I do and maybe I will try for 5 to 10 minutes but on days like today my body says rest so I have no choice. Yes, listen to your body. Doctors don't know it all , or at least the ones I have seen doesn't. I feel if I hadn't pushed in the beginning I might not be in this shape.

I am trying to eleminate some foods to see if that plays a role. So far no dairy or wheat and a low carb but some days I just have to eat what is available as I don't feel up to preparing anything..

These head feelings are the pits and am non functional when they hit.

Thanks again to each for your replies,
  10. Pansygirl

Pansygirl New Member

Well, I had my wisdom teeth out when I was in high school so I know it's not them bothering me although at the time I had my wisdom teeth out I ended up with TMJ. :(

So maybe it's TMJ but I'm not sure. I haven't been able to find anything yet to relieve the pain when it's in my jaw/ear.

[This Message was Edited on 06/09/2009]
  11. Pansygirl

Pansygirl New Member

just wanted to send you a gentle hug

wish we had some answers so we could all feel better.

gentle hugs, Susan
  12. valliali

valliali New Member

I get a fullness feeling in my ear and head. When I was living on the east coast, it was actually unbearable due to the weather (humidity and low pressure), so I moved to the west coast just because of the head pressure. My ears and head whoosh, it feels like blood whooshing to me. The pressure is unbearable.
    My docs seem very unconcerned about it. There is no way for a person to feel this intense of a symptom and for it to not be concerning at all.