Ear problem

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by klarry, Jan 13, 2012.

1. klarry

klarry New Member

I am having a problem with one of my ears and have been diagnosed with cochlear hydrops. I have done research and see a connection between this and TMJ. There is also evidence that fibromyalgia can cause ear problems. In my case my ear feels stopped up. Nothing I do can relieve the discomfort. The doctor has put me on a diuretic to help with fluid build up, but since I am a long suffering fibromyalgia patient I wondered if anyone else has had this problem. Thanks for any help. I'm going bonkers.
  2. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

I have a lot of trouble with my hearing. Recently I had some sort of sinus thing & my ears were so stopped up I could barely hear. That part is gone but I think my hearing is worse. It causes problems atmy job and everyone gets ticked off at me for it.

I have an appt with my ENT on the 23rd. I looked this up & it could be my problem. I dont have vertigo, thank God. But I have had it before when I was a teenager. I'll let you know what the doc says.
  3. 3gs

3gs New Member

I went thru exstense testing with an ENT after yrs of sinus infections-ear problems.

Part of mine turned out to be severly infected teeth!!! Also TMJ. After everything was said and done(swallowing test-xrays-voice tests etc) Its your CFS/FIBRO...

Municex does help. do you have the constant ringing? yep to the ear stopped up also itching.
  4. klarry

klarry New Member

Thank you for helping me to feel less nuts! I also have ringing in the stopped up ear. I've been taking Mucinex for at least four years, so that is definitely not the solution. As I mentioned I am now on a 10mg dose of a diuretic, and I am trying to minimize my fluids. I know I have TMJ, so that will be my next thing to look into. At least I know I/m not alone.
  5. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

Forgot to mention that I also have TMJ. I had a mouth piece made for it years ago, but it's made of stainless steel and covers the roof of my mouth - ridiculously difficult to wear so I haven't used it in years.
  6. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

Forgot to mention that I also have TMJ. I had a mouth piece made for it years ago, but it's made of stainless steel and covers the roof of my mouth - ridiculously difficult to wear so I haven't used it in years.
  7. 3gs

3gs New Member

wow have never heard of a metal mouth guard ouch! They sell guards now at the store-save the money dont pay for the high priced ones from dentist!
  8. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

I get what feels kind of like the beginning of an ear infection and my dr. gave me a script for these ear drops that I use at the very first sign of any pain in my ear--generally any congestion at all--allergies, cold. I can't remember the exact term-but years ago I was told by an ENT dr. that there is a connection with TMJ and the ear canal--any congestion can cause something in the ear to swell which in turn contributes to TMJ pain.

This is what the box says for the ear drops:

Neomycin and Polymyxin B Sulfates and Hydrocortisone Otic. The instructions say to use 2 drops in each afected ears twice a day as needed for ear pain.

I rarely need to use them like the instruction state. I always make sure I have a bottle of them on hand to use as needed.

Somewhere I have a book about TMJ that I bought in dental college bookstore about 15 yrs ago. Alot of the book was very technical but I learned alot from it.

[This Message was Edited on 01/20/2012]