Early Diet Update

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Mikie, Sep 29, 2002.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I could have sworn I posted this yesterday, but I cannot find it, so will post today. I've been on the more restrictive Level I Suzanne Somers diet for about 10 days now. Many of y'all may remember that in addition to cholesterol issues, I was concerned about my elevated blood pressure. I have a cuff at home and take it a couple of times a day. My readings have always been about 143/84 or so, sometimes in the 150's over 90's, once in the 160's over 90's.

For the last few days, it has been in the 120's over the 70's, completely normal. I cannot believe that I am having such success so soon. I can't wait to see my doc in Dec. to get new cholesterol tests done.

I need to get a new scale so I can track my weight loss, but I can already see a difference just looking at my arms and legs. The first place I always lose weight is in my feet!

I'm so glad Klutzo clued me into the whole Syndrome X thing. Kudos, Klutzo!

Love, Mikie
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I could have sworn I posted this yesterday, but I cannot find it, so will post today. I've been on the more restrictive Level I Suzanne Somers diet for about 10 days now. Many of y'all may remember that in addition to cholesterol issues, I was concerned about my elevated blood pressure. I have a cuff at home and take it a couple of times a day. My readings have always been about 143/84 or so, sometimes in the 150's over 90's, once in the 160's over 90's.

For the last few days, it has been in the 120's over the 70's, completely normal. I cannot believe that I am having such success so soon. I can't wait to see my doc in Dec. to get new cholesterol tests done.

I need to get a new scale so I can track my weight loss, but I can already see a difference just looking at my arms and legs. The first place I always lose weight is in my feet!

I'm so glad Klutzo clued me into the whole Syndrome X thing. Kudos, Klutzo!

Love, Mikie
  3. sean

sean New Member

I seem to have problems finding my posts, they seem to move around a bit, do they list in order of how many people reply to them? Don't know anything about this suzanne sommers diet you mention, but I do believe diet can help fibro/cfs, or at least avoidance of certain foods, especially sugar.
  4. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Good goin' Mikie! I am glad you are having so much more success than I am with this. At least one of us is improving. I am not completely on the diet yet though...am still using up foods that are not allowed. The last thing to go will be my high fiber breakfast cereal. The thought of having to eat eggs for breakfast makes me gag, and I love eggs, but not in the morning. I am just not a natural protein eater and have to force myself. Keep us posted on your progress.
    Sean - The Syndrome X diet does not allow sugar, and in addition you have to balance all carbs you eat with protein, and eat 30% of your calories from monounsaturated fats. It is designed to reverse Metabolic Syndrome, a dangerous disorder that afflicts 47 million Americans, most of whom don't know they have it. You can search previous posts if you want to learn more or do a websearch....there's a lot out there about it.
    This is another case of the Medical establishment actually helping to cause an illness! Their constant promotion of high carb, low fat, low protein diets over the past 20 yrs. is a very large part of this problem, combined with genetic tendencies. Only about 25% of folks can stay healthy on that kind of diet, and a lot of people think if it says "low fat" they can eat a ton of it, even though it may be loaded with sugar.
    Klutzo
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

On the Somers diet, you could have fruit for breakfast. In fact, morning is a good time to eat your carbs. You just have to wait 20 mins. before eating any protein. I get a little sick of the protein, but the rewards are so enormous. Somers does have good recipes in her books.

Love, Mikie
  6. teach6

teach6 New Member

I'm going no where fast in my quest to lose some of the weight I put on in the past 6 months. I haven't even considered it until you started talking about it with Klutzo. It's definitely worth a look.

Barbara
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I've looked into the high protein diets at the bookstore, but I have never seen such good recipes as Somers provides in her books. I think that by cooking yummy, satisfying meals, it is easier to stay on a diet, especially in the early days when on the more restricted Level I. I really like the idea of being able to eat desserts too, although I am not craving sweets.

Good luck.

Love, Mikie