early menopause??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Tennessee, Aug 27, 2002.

1. Tennessee

Tennessee New Member

i read most of the posts and am just curious bout somethin.i had to have a hysterectomy when i was 22 because of a malignantcy(sorry bout spellin,ugh).i am now 37 and and have been goin thru the fm,ibs,gerd thing for a little while now.before this i hardly ever had a sick day in my life.i do still have both ovaries,my doc said since i had never been pregnant he did'nt want to take them but he did have to scrape both and one is not in very good shape.is fm a symptom of menopause?would it be possible for me to be goin thru it early?i do have'hot flashes from time to time but thought it was somethin to do with the fm,ibs,gerd thing.does anyone know how long menopause lasts?just curious,is just somethin i never thought of till now,thanks for listenin=).
  2. Tennessee

Tennessee New Member

i read most of the posts and am just curious bout somethin.i had to have a hysterectomy when i was 22 because of a malignantcy(sorry bout spellin,ugh).i am now 37 and and have been goin thru the fm,ibs,gerd thing for a little while now.before this i hardly ever had a sick day in my life.i do still have both ovaries,my doc said since i had never been pregnant he did'nt want to take them but he did have to scrape both and one is not in very good shape.is fm a symptom of menopause?would it be possible for me to be goin thru it early?i do have'hot flashes from time to time but thought it was somethin to do with the fm,ibs,gerd thing.does anyone know how long menopause lasts?just curious,is just somethin i never thought of till now,thanks for listenin=).
  3. Grams

Grams New Member

You might be experiencing perimenopause. Perimenopause is the transitional years that preceed menopause. I think it's safe to say that FM and perimenopause share many of the same symptoms.

mood changes
    changes in sexual desire
    difficulty in concentrating
    headaches
    night sweats
    hot flashes
    vaginal dryness
    sleep disturbances
    joint and muscle aches
    extreme sweating
    frequent urination
    similar symptoms as experienced with premenstrual syndrome

[This Message was Edited on 11/16/2002]
  4. marinemom

marinemom New Member

Hi Tennessee

Last summer I was diagnosed with PMDD and perimenopause. I had most of the symptoms and after a blood test and a pap smear (yuck) they decided that's what I was going through.

Since then, I have gone off the hormones that was prescribed, because I "porked out" so much that I was uncomfortable with myself.

I explained to the Dr. that it wouldn't matter anyway. With FM among other things, no one in the household would be able to notice any mood swings anyway! =)

Even with the hormones, I still experienced night sweats, hot flashes, etc., so I couldn't see that they were helping!

Be sure and check with your Dr and explain your symptoms. My very uneducated guess is that you ARE starting.

Have you ever noticed that all this is linked to men? MENopause, MENustration (sp?), etc! What a life!!

Smiles
    Kathy