EARLYBIRDS vs LATENIGHTERS interesting research

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by victoria, Sep 20, 2006.

1. victoria

victoria New Member

IT'S GENETIC! I always kind of thought it was, cuz I tended to stay up late as I got older even before I got CFIDS... my kids are both late-nighters, as was my mother. Of course these DDs don't help... but I think help explains why a good many nights I am up excruciatingly late (3-4 AM).

EARLY TO BED, EARLY TO RISE:
    GENETICS OF THE MORNING LARK

In an upcoming G&D paper, a team of German scientists presents a genetic basis for understanding human morning lark behavior. Dr. Achim Kramer (Charité Universitaetsmedizin Berlin) and colleagues have uncovered a genetic cause for the human familial advanced sleep phase syndrome (FASPS), which causes people to both go to sleep and wake up very early.

"Being a morning lark or a night owl is something encoded in people's genes and we ... made substantial progress to uncover the molecular basis for that," explains Dr. Kramer.

FASPS is a dominantly inherited circadian rhythm disorder in which patients' inborn biological clock (or circadian clock as it is known by scientists) runs ahead of normal.

Circadian clocks are found in organisms ranging from bacteria to humans. They keep our bodies' daily activities, like sleeping and eating, on a roughly 24 hour schedule, or period. FASPS patients' periods are about 4 hours advanced, causing the patients to retire at 6 or 7pm and rise by 4am.

In 1999, it was discovered that a mutated gene, called PERIOD2 (PER2) is mutated in many cases of FASPS.

Dr. Kramer and colleagues mapped phosphorylation sites on the PER2 protein. They identified 21 sites, one of which (Serine 659), was implicated in FASPS. By monitoring the bioluminescence cycles of cell lines, the researchers demonstrated that mutation of Serine 659 causes a shortening of the luminescence period and recapitulates the FASPS phenotype. T

he researchers determined that the mutated form of Serine 659, which does not get phosphorylated, leads to PER2's destabilization and earlier clearance from the cell nucleus.

The research team went on to show that mutations of other PER2 phosphorylation sites have differential effects on PER2 protein stability, circadian period length, and organismal behavior.

In fact, using a simple mathematical algorithm modeled after their work, the researchers successfully explained how different PER phosphorylation defects result in the behaviors displayed by well-known circadian mutants in hamsters and fruit flies.

Dr. Kramer adds that "This is the first example where the regulation of a complex human behaviour could be really nailed down to its genetic basis and molecular mechanism."

-----------

Wonder if whatever organisms responsible for CF/FM also can cause gene mutations along these lines? ... wouldn't be surprised.

Victoria

2. victoria

victoria New Member

ok, you late night people might be interested in this...
    (it is after midnight on the east coast, anyway...)

and maybe the early birders...?

3. victoria

victoria New Member

Stay up until 5 AM... then stay up until 11 AM... then stay up until 5 PM, and then, finally, go to bed at 11 PM, thus taking about 4 days (I think) to reset. (You could adjust the times of course to be at any time for bedtime.)

My daughter did this recently and it worked, except then she went to a party and stayed up late... she reverted right back and hasn't had a chance to reset again. I don't know how she stays up til 2 AM and makes it to her 8 AM classes...

They also say it helps to expose yourself to bright light upon awakening... would never work for me anyway since I've always been very light sensitive upon awakening anyway.

4. woofmom

woofmom New Member

Okay, so they found the mutated gene. What caused it to mutate? Could it be the chemicals we are bombarded with 24/7.
  5. pw7575

pw7575 New Member

I have always been a night owl. I go to bed late and wake up late. My mom is too but she is less of one than I am. My little sister is the same as me. Mine gets out of control. If I don't keep it in check it can get to the point where I am up until 4,5 or 6am before I go to sleep. That is when it gets extreme but it happens alot. My sleep time if I dont watch will slowly get later and later and then I have to reel it in. So many times I have "reset" myself by going to bed earlier but it takes one night to throw it off again. I usually try to be in bed no later than 2am. I have been doing pretty good since we have moved I have been asleep by 1:30am for the most part every night. Mostly because of these stupid window shades. I have always needed SUPER dark cave to sleep...any sunlight wakes me up and there is too much sun coming in my room now. It wakes me up earlier so I get to bed earlier. I need some curtains!! But no $ so curtains will have to wait for now. I have hung blankets in the windows...I know very UNclassy of me.
  6. keke466

keke466 New Member

I have always had trouble going to sleep at night. I'm not sure where it comes from. My Mom is an early riser,Dad is also. My aunt,Dad's sis,who I lived with alot was a night owl and always had trouble sleeping. I always assumed I got it from her. As a child it took me forever to go to sleep. It was always hard for me to get up and go to school,from grade school to high school. Most all my jobs I worked the evening or night shifts. When I did have to get up for day work some how I survived on very little sleep. Course I was younger and not ill.

Now it's even worse with me having FM. I can't sleep at all unless I take something and still that doesn't mean I'm gonna do it. On Tu. I had to be at the unemployment office,30 minutes away,at 9:00am to 4:00pm. I started getting anxious a week ahead of time cause I knew how it would be. I took a tylenol pm and half a xanax at 7:15 and went to bed so I could relax and give myself plenty of time . Didn't happen. I slept a whole hour. It was miserable,had to sit all day and listen to a woman talk. I was so sick I didn't what to do. finally got to sleep at 6:30 that evening and slept all night till 11:00am Wed. I'm still haven't recovered.

I'm going to dr next tu and think I'm gonna ask for a sleeper or something else for anxiety.

Take care,Keke
  7. victoria

victoria New Member

it's hard to even plan for things... the more we get worried over things, the more we stay up.

Sometimes I just take valium to reset myself... like probably tomorrow night. I became ill in the middle of last night and was up even tho I really wanted to sleep, thus slept late, and slept again early evening as I was feeling really sick again.

So of course I'm up now... sigh... gonna lay down and just listen to an audio book, that usually helps, dependong on the book and the narrative voice, LOL!

Woofmom, between the stealth pathogens and the chemicals, there's no wonder there's mutations in our genes!

sweet dreams everybody!
    Victoria

8. kriket

kriket New Member

I am a night owl. My mom and dad are the same way. I can be dead tired and need to go to bed and yet sometimes I just kep staying up. I am not,never have, and never will be a morning person. If I get woke up before I'm ready to get up, I'm like a bear coming out of hibernation. Interesting thread. I too believe genetics play a big part in it.

Kriket
  9. victoria

victoria New Member

The only time in my life that I was suddenly a 'Lark' was when I was pregnant with my son... I would just awaken naturally by 7 AM. Time of year was the same as when I had my older daughter, but it didn't happen when I was pg with her.

I wonder if the extra testosterone or other male hormones that escape into Moms' systems when pg made the difference for me...

cuz I reverted back to my old ways after giving birth (well, as soon as he could sleep thru the night that is!)

Have to say tho, with the CFIDS, it just made it worse - so I think diseases could cause mutations?

Also, interestingly, my son who has chronic Lyme gets hyperinsomnia when herxing on abx... instead of falling asleep at least by 2-4 AM, he's up to 6 or 7 am no matter what he tries.

best,
    Victoria

10. Marta608

Marta608 Member

This genetic business is starting to get my attention! First CFS/FM, now this.

Both my parents were night owls but I've always been an early bird. My oldest son is, too. Maybe it skips a generation now and then.

Marta
  11. Prunella

Prunella New Member

Being around light in the evening can disrupt our sleep cycles. The worst are computer screens and television sets. (Science News article) I am trying really hard to shift my computer time to the morning.....so, bye, got to get away from this light now!