Easter Carvings pic in Profile

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Greenbean7, Mar 27, 2007.

1. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

I posted a pic of a couple of birds I just carved. My daughter took the pics and has sold 3 of them for $15 each!

The goldfinch is carved from a wooden egg about the size of hen's egg. The other is from a pigeon sized egg.

I have pics of a crow, a bluebird, and another baby bird that is carved from the hen's egg size egg. I'll try to post a few more in the next couple of weeks. I still can't believe she sold them for $15! I wouldn't pay that much!!

Stop and smell the puppies!
  2. victoria

victoria New Member

VERY nice! for ANY time of the year, not just Easter.

Well, unless you carve an Easter bunny hatching from an egg...

PS: I have actually carved real eggs in the past, rhea & emu...

3. sisland

sisland New Member

some more kool carvings! Very Cute! I Really like the Egg carvings! what a neat idea!,,,,,,,,,,Hugs!,,,,,,,,,,,S
  4. boltchik

boltchik New Member

OMG! Those are too cute!! You do beautiful work and it gave me a smile. Kim :)
  5. raspberrykisses

raspberrykisses New Member

Them are awsome.
  6. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Did you make the little hat? I can't tell what your daughter is selling: pics or carvings.

I especially like the little birdie peaking out. Does it have a name?
  7. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

I completely agree with Dncn...they're just adorable.

Nancy B
  8. sues1

sues1 New Member

I want one.....I'd pay $15.00! Handmade and originals, none can be the same ever.
    Precious. Make sure you at least inital them and date them.

I have loved ALL you have done and thanks for posting them.

9. mindbender

mindbender New Member

10. mindbender

mindbender New Member

I'm sorry I must try again. How many hours?

Let's just say $10.00 an hour, and that's cheep.

Who makes $10.00 an hour? (skilled ?)

No one, that's my point. your work is fabulous.

11. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

Dan - They take a little over an hour to carve now that I've got it down. Actually take longer to paint, you know, watching the paint dry! I usually paint 3 or 4 at a time because patience is not really one of my virtues!

Rock - We bought the little hats and then decorated them. We haven't named any yet,but I think that one must be "Peeping Tom"! Hummm, would that make him a turkey?

We are selling the birds with their little hats. The chicks with egg shell on their heads (haven't posted one of those yet) and the little guys in the cracked shells don't have hats.

DD "nested" some of them for the pictures and it actually took her as long to nest 9 of them as it did for me to carve another one! I supposed we could sell the nests but that would have to cost extra!

I carved a chicken and two chicks this weekend and am almost finished painting them. Carved a little duck when DD was here and started painting it last night. He really came out cute!

On pricing - the joke amount painters, carvers, etc., is to figure out how much you used in materials and add 20 cents an hour for labor! It's amazing how little people are actually willing to pay for hand made items. I carved a characture of a dog that is about 5 inches tall and 6 inches long. As girl at work wanted to know if I would make her one. I told her she wouldn't be able to pay what I would charge. She seemed to think I just whipped them out. It took hours and hours to get it the way I wanted it. Beside, I love that little doggie and I'm keeping him!

DD took the pics to post on a friends ebay site. She wanted to see if they would sell, too. She hasn't done it yet, but we'll see what happens. She will just have to be the business end. After all, an Artiste cannot be expected to worry about that sort of thing!!

Thanks for all your kind words! I'm very insecure about what I make. A friend keeps pushing me to put one of my cottonwood bark carvings in a show to be judged. Please, don't judge me! We went to a carving show a couple weeks ago and she kept telling me that my elf houses were better than what was on display at the show. Maybe someday when I feel more secure with what I do. I've only been carving 3 years and figure I'm gonna need about 20 more before I feel real confident!

Thanks again!

Stop and smell the puppies!
    Thanks again for al
  12. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

They are wonderful! So whimsical!

In a little art store on my street they would cost $65 to $85... and more for larger pieces and those you felt were extra special!

You should live here!
    Peace out,