Easy Baby Blanket Crochet

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by PVLady, Feb 11, 2008.

1. PVLady

PVLady New Member

Hi, thought I would share this easy pattern for a crocheted baby blanket. You use two strands of worsted weight yarn, in the picture they used yellow and white.

This is the perfect blanket to make when you need a fast baby gift. Perfect for use in a car seat or stroller! Works up in about 3 hours and can be made into any desired size just by changing the starting chain! This can be made with any type of yarn, any hook size, etc. You design it!

Chain is worked in multiples of 3 + 2
    Pattern stitch is: sc/2dc in same stitch
    (My version measures about 29" x 32")

Materials needed:

14 ounces of worsted weight yarn (For this version, I used 7 ounces of yellow and 7 ounces of white-Lion Brand-Pound of Love yarn)
    N hook

I used two strands of the ww yarn held together throughout.

Chain 62
    Row 1: Sc and 2 dc (all three in same stitch) in second chain from hook. *Skip two chains and continue sc/2 dc in third stitch(pattern stitch)* across. For last stitch skip two chains and just sc in last stitch, ch 2 and turn.
    Row 2: 2 dc in sc from last row (first stitch). Do sc, dc, dc in each sc from previous row (so it's basically skip two stitches and sc, dc, dc in next across). End with one sc in top of turning chain and repeat to desired size. At the end of row 2 and each row thereafter, chain 2 and turn.

Fasten off and weave in ends!

This lays flat, doesn't curl and doesn't need any edging put around it. It does work up beautifully.
  2. greygodess

greygodess New Member

PV. I'm going to give it a try after I finish the hat and scarf I'm working on. Godbless
  3. Denamay

Denamay New Member

I wish I saw this last week, before I started the baby blanket that I am working on.

Anyway I have another one to do, so will follow your instructions.

I printed them off so I will be ready to go.

Thanks again. love Denamay
  4. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I am working this pattern with a N crochet hook. I am really pleased with the results. I used taupe and tan yarns that were on sale at Joanne store. (It is actually Vanna White's brand which has such nice colors).

It does lay nicely and looks great. I also started another piece with a G size hook which is much smaller and one yarn. It looks completely different but so easy.

5. kjade

kjade New Member

Hi PVlady,
    I have always wanted to learn how to knit or crochet. My great-grandmother showed me how when I was a little girl, but I have forgotten now - she made such beautiful blankets.

Now I read your thread, and have no idea what it means. I also can never remember the difference between crocheting (SP) and knitting. Which one uses the long needles, and which uses the hooks?

Are there any books available that you know of that teach how to do this? Like "Crocheting for Dummies"?? I really want to teach myself how to do this.
  6. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I think crochet is easier than knitting. With crochet you make a chain of stitches with a hook, then you start the second row. All the major craft stores, like Joanne and Michaels, have crochet classes.

I have taught people in less than 1 hour. I normally have yarn and hooks with me and sometimes people will tell me they want to learn. I have sat and taught people, then I give them the yarn and needle.

To me it is the most wonderful thing to relax you it takes your mind off of everything.

The basic stitches are chain stitch, single crochet, half a double crochet, double crochet, triple crochet.

You can master these so easy, trust me. Then you can also learn how to make a "granny square". That is the afghan you see with all the squares - very old fasioned.

My mother taught me when I was 10 and I am left handed. She did beautiful work. During WWII my mom made a huge bedspread out of cotton thread. I cannot imagine the work.

I suggest you go to the craft store and purchase a pretty skein of yarn. Then a size J crochet hook. See if they have a instructor there who can get you started.

Oh, I wanted to mention, there are crochet hooks made by "Clover" that are really easy to hold and because of he way they are made,all your stitches look very even. These hooks have a sort of stop area so the thread cannot move up the needle each time you make a stitch. The result is, all your stitches are perfectly the same.

It is fine to look at books and you can find tons at the library. Also on the internet, you can find very good instruction with good picture examples.

Most of the trick is holding the thread and the tension.

[This Message was Edited on 02/17/2008]
  7. kjade

kjade New Member

I appreciate you responding. I think I am going to give this a try. I really need to find a hobby - something to keep me busy when I am really tense.

I will actually be at Joann's this weekend for something else, so I am going to look for the crochet hook you suggest and some yarn. I'll see if they have any instructors there too.

Thanks again!
  8. PVLady

PVLady New Member

You won't be sorry. It might take a little to get it, like riding a bicycle, but once you learn you will feel so good to make something beautiful.

You can easily make scarves or small throws, or baby blankets. Good luck
  9. blueski31717

blueski31717 New Member

Have you ever made a broom stitch afghan? I have made several. Right now I am working on a couple of granny square. My son wants me to make a gator color one for my grandson which is orange and blue-go gators...FLORDIA thing lol the other one I have for the first round is 8 bright colors, second round I have varigated bright colors then the third round is black..the black against all of the bright colors is stricking.

I think I have made a variation of the one you describe but just has a little twist and I do in G.
  10. kjade

kjade New Member

I just remembered now that you mention scarves that my other grandma makes gorgeous scarves for everyone. I usually wear them as part of my outfits - they are so pretty. She uses all kinds of colors together.

I think I will ask her to show me how to do this. She has severe arthritis in her hands, and if she can do it, so can I!! :)
  11. PVLady

PVLady New Member

Hi blueski

No, I have seen the broomstick but never tried it. What you are describing sounds beautiful. I have seen pictures of such beautiful afghans, it inspires me to make them.

I love the old granny square afghans - so homey. Maybe others who crochet will share their ideas for combining colors.

One striking afghan I made was using a turquoise varigated, with solid royal blue, solid turquoise and solid lime green. In the varigated it contained all those solid colors.

It reminded you of the Mediterranean sea. I am thinking about the colors you described.

12. PVLady

PVLady New Member

Hi, scarves are so easy and nice gifts. I think anything handmade is special - you can wrap them in pretty tissue. They even have labels you can buy and sew onto your creations.

A scarf is the easiest - just do your chain for how long you want the scarf, then on the second and all rows, do a half a double crochet. Very easy.
  13. kjade

kjade New Member

I love my handmade scarves - I will treasure them forever. My grandma always sprays her perfume all over the scarf (and it is very pretty perfume, actually) so everytime I wear it, I think of her. I even went out and bought the same perfume, and I use it only to spray on my scarves when the fragrance wears off. Does that sound strange?

I have them in so many colors that I can coordinate them with different solid-color sweaters. They make a GREAT accessory in the winter (since I'm not really into jewelry too much).

I think I will have her show me this since it sounds easy, and I will let you know how I am coming along. I may be asking for help if I get stuck, though. I hope you don't mind!
  14. PVLady

PVLady New Member

No problem, I will help if I can... good luck.