Easy Gluten-Free Recipies?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by teacher, Feb 3, 2006.

1. teacher

teacher New Member

I enjoy reading the recipie posts so I thought I would ask this question.

I am working full-time (gotta support myself) and am often too tired to do major cooking. Can't use the typical shortcuts due to wheat intolerance.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

teacher
    [This Message was Edited on 02/04/2006]
  2. pirtpain

pirtpain New Member

BUMP

PIRT
    How did you find out that you were glutin intolerant??[This Message was Edited on 02/03/2006]
  3. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I think a modified Atkins type diet would work well - lots of vegies with some protein, and maybe rice if you want a starch. I've eaten almost wheat-free for many years due to a wheat allergy, so I don't even think of wheat in terms of meals.

There are some great precut, prewashed salad mixes out there, and if you add a can of tuna or canned salmon, it makes a quick decent meal.

You can make a big pot of soup on the week-ends with chicken and lots of vegies, and add rice if you like or potatoes, and there you will have several meals ready for during the week.

I've also made a good soup using red lentils and onions and celery and lots of fresh garlic, and then add a can of coconut milk (which is very good for you). The coconut milk gives a very nice flavor, it's good added to chicken soup too. You can buy coconut milk in the grocery stores in the Asian food section.

Rye crackers aren't too bad. I've eaten them with cheese and even put peanut butter on them.

Also, I've bought sprouted wheat bread from Trader Joe's and I tolerate it. I think it has to do with the fact that it's all sprouted and no flour. You might experiemtn with this. This bread is very good toasted for sandwiches or with peanut butter for breakfast.

I also buy protein bars for quick snacks and always keep almonds and raisins on hand for snacks as well.

And once in a blue moon I eat pasta . . .

Mary
  4. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

5. teacher

teacher New Member

I've been working with this gluten-free thing for a little while, now. Sometimes I do OK and other times, not so OK.

I had forgotten about soup. I'm crashing right now and the old brain ain't what it used to be. Think I'll trot out this weekend and get stuff for chili! Actually have some chicken on hand, too. Hmmm..

I will look into this Atkins thing. Keep hearing about it but never checked. It goes with your blood type, right?

Pirt, I found out through my chiro that I'm gluten-intolerant. She also does nutrition work. We talked and she put me on an elimination diet. I felt great. When things were added back, I fell apart. So basically, I avoid wheat, dairy (except cheese and yogurt, I think it's the ferment thing),and processed foods. I try to stick as close to the original state of the food as possible.

Do you suspect you are gluten-intolerant?

[This Message was Edited on 02/04/2006]
  6. zerped

zerped New Member

I've been avoiding wheat also and one of the things that's helped the most is discovering a company called Craving Places. They're from Bend, OR (three hrs. from me). They do mixes that are wheat-free, gluten-free, dairy-free and egg-free. If someone is vegan they can eat this stuff. They have a KILLER brownie mix, choc. chip cookie mix, cinnamon crumb cake mix, and pancake mix. I buy mine in the health-food section of Fred Meyer(Kroger's) for $5.

For all the recipes you just dump it in a bowl, put water (and sometimes oil) in, stir and put into oven. You could train a parakeet or guinea pig to do it! :eek:)

There are times when this is the most important grocery purchase of the week. It makes up for all the junk I can't eat.
  7. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

HAVE A RECIOPE BOOK FOR GLUTEN FREE OR USED TO AS MANY KIDS WITH AUTISM DO THE GLUTEN FREE. Rice cakes are easy and chinese rice crackers can be crushed to make pie crusts. Do you have a natural food co-op as they sometimes carry gluten free foods.

Love Anne
  8. MKlady

MKlady New Member

Oh I was going to post on this tonight - I'm so glad you asked. I added whole wheat and more fruit back into my diet in January and my system hasn't been good since - bubbling belly, gas and constipation/diarrhea like crazy ...

...so I'm eliminating gluten/wheat again and hoping that will help. May have to cut back on the fruit too. Still experimenting. Am also dairy-free, egg-free and sugar/sugar substitute-free.

I bought the South Beach Diet Quick and Easy cookbook - full of recipes ready in 30 mins. I can eat maybe 1/2 to 1/3 of them...but it gave me some new ideas. Sounds like I'd better find the gluten-free one, too.

You're right - the hardest thing when I fatigues is having to fix meals. I do keep cut up vegies in my fridge (or try to) and when I cook chicken or beef I make extra for leftovers. My Foreman grill is my best friend!

Thanks for your great ideas!!

Mary N
  9. teacher

teacher New Member

There's one about 2 miles up the road from work. Sometimes I have the energy to go. Sometimes I don't.

Our local grocery stores are starting to do major battle for the natural food market because we now have Trader Joe's, Wild Oats, and Whole Foods. I go to all three occasionaly, but none of them are really in my neighborhood. I have to GO to them.

My local store is getting better. I can find natural stuff there.

My problem is finding semi-prepared stuff that is wheat-free that I can buy for the times that I don't have the energy to cook. I don't like eating out all the time because it's easier to avoid chemicals if I cook, but there you are.

I shall look into getting a kiddie cookbook. That sounds like it should be easy. Thanks for the tip.

Chinese rice crackers, huh? Where do you find those and are they good with peanut butter?

teacher
  10. bunnyfluff

bunnyfluff Member

You can buy the frozen Tyson chicken fajita meat (pre-cooked) and warm it up with some frozen veggies (I like cauliflower & red pepper, etc) and some fixin's with corn tortillas & make fajita's pretty quick.

I brown 6 lbs of ground beef at a time and freeze it so I have it ready to make tacos or nachos, or impossible cheesburger pie. Use the recipe for gluten free bisquick on the web- it actually is better than when you make it with the regular!

I use the crock pot for stews, etc.

Also, there are some pre-cooked meats that you can microwave- you just have to read labels. At the Wal-Mart here there is a frozen BBQ Brisket that is good and it is quick in the MW, also the Hormel ones in the refrigerated section are okay- the Beef au Jus and I think the Pork Roast. I just make some potatoes & open some cans of veggies and they think I'm great.

Uncle Bens Chicken & Wild Rice is also gluten free, and I make the regular quick white rice sometimes with lots of butter, some chicken bullion, and cut up a few carrots & toss in a few frozen corn- that takes 10 mins.

There is a great recipe where you just dump 1 cup uncooked regular white rice in a baking dish, mix a can of Progresso chicken/cheese enchilada soup w/ a little pepper & 1 tsp. chili powder (to taste) and pour it over 4 boneless chicken breasts you put on top of the rice. Bake it for 45 mins @ 375 and then add about 1 cup cheddar or monterrey jack cheese and continue to bake for 5-10 mins.

If I think of any more I'll post again.

If I think up some more I'll post again. Good luck!
  11. toadgoddess

toadgoddess New Member

greetings,
    This part is for teacher-I just wanted to let you know for super fast, no work, prepared, there is Amy's frozen gluten free enchilada's that are terrrific and microwavable. They are about $3.79 if you have access to them. I live in Laramie, Wyoming, so it seems if I can get them, anyone can! Many of Amy's organics are not gluten free so you need to look on the front of the box, but there are a few, and this is one that I just love.

I just wanted to mention also that it seems that a few of you may be confused about wheat and gluten. They are not the same. Gluten is indeed a protien in wheat, yes, but I was dd with celiac disease last summer after being ill for several years and by that time was very malnurished, had lost a huge amount of weight (about 80-85 lbs), have some seemingly irreverible bone damage, etc...all the while, eating healthy, taking vitamins (that my body could not absorb), and hardly ever eating wheat!

I have learned that gluten is in not just wheat, but barley, rye, and anything made with them (breads, crackers, pastas, etc) lunchmeats, many prepared foods like almost all canned soups, sauces, soy sauce, msg,
    It is also used as a binder in many things such as our prescription meds or supplements, the adhesive side of an envelope (used to be postage stamps as well, but now most are self adhesive)...my point is that its hidden in SOOO many things that you practically have to be an expert to find it because its not required to be labled as 'gluten'. It can be modified food starch and much sneakier language.

I recently read a cartoon that said a "little bit of gluten is like being a little bit pregnant." For celiacs, we are to have a strict gluten-free diet for the rest of our lives, but its very difficult to be absolutely sure sometimes

12. MKlady

MKlady New Member

You are so right about gluten vs. wheat. Mine is gluten - I'm still figuring it out, but oatmeal and rice are a problem for me too.

I'm back to the strict first-stage candida diet and must say I feel much better gut-wise today as I've gotten stricter.

Thanks again for your ideas.
  13. teacher

teacher New Member

Thank you peoples! I love you ideas!

Didn't know there was gluten-free Bisquick. Shall have to dig.

Keep the suggestios coming. I'm copying this stuff down!

teacher
  14. proteinlady

proteinlady New Member

You and I are in similar boats. In addition to taking care of myself I also have to worry about hubby and son. For 2-3 weekends in a row I made large amounts of various things, divided them up into containers and froze them. After work, I can pull stuff out of the freezer and put in microwave for quick dinners. Getting the freezer stocked is the hard part-it takes 2-3 weekends. After that it's easy- because you only have to make a batch here and there when something runs out. Here's some things that I always have in my freezer:

Meatloaf muffins
    make your favorite meatloaf recipe using 2-3 lb ground beef or turkey. Instead of bread crumbs you can use crushed rice crackers or some cooked rice. Divide the meat mixtured into muffin tins and bake. Cool a bit and wrap individually in plastic wrap and then put them all into a freezer bag and freeze.

Taco meat
    Take 2-3 lb ground beef or turkey and brown with taco seasoning.
    Divide into glad plastic storage containers (16 oz size) and freeze. Use with taco shells or corn torilla for burritos

Chilli
    Cook a big batch and divide up and freeze. Use a crockpot if you have one.

Meat Ball stuff
    I take 2-3 lb ground beef or turkey, mix for meat balls. Instead of making individual meatballs, I crumble it into a pan, brown and add tomato sauce. Divide and freeze in small containers. Eat over rice or quinoa pasta.

Chicken soup
    Get a bunch of chicken breasts or leg quarters when they're on sale. Make a big pot of soup. Remove all the chicken when it's cooked and shred it. Divide the soup into bowls and put some chicken in each bowl and freeze. You can then thaw a container of soup and add some frozen veggies, rice, beans-whatever you're in the mood for. Take the left over chicken and either make chicken salad with it or mix with some taco seasoning and make burritos or enchiladas with it.

Pot Roast
    If you have a crockpot, make a pot roast. Make gravy with the meat juice and cornstarch. Divide up the meat and gravy into containers and freeze. Eat with instant potatos.

15. ldbgcoleman

ldbgcoleman New Member

This is a really hard diet but worth it so you are doing great by trying it! I followed the Candida diet for 42 weeks and have added some foods in. I eat small amounts of wheat like one slice of pizza on occasion. I am not wheat intolerat thank goodness!

Products I can't live without!

Vans Wheat Free waffles Publix and Kroger Health Food Section
    Wheat Free Tortillas Whole Foods
    Mrs Leepers Veggie Twists
    I also eat spelted bread like Ezikiel
    Wheat Free Sugar Free Recipies
    AMys Organics rice pasta mac and cheese
    Amys Organics Roasted tomotoe soup (BEtter than any restaurant I have been too!)

Chocolate CAke

1/4 cup Almond Flour

1 Tablespoon Coco

1/4 Teaspoon Baking Powder

1/4 Teaspoon Stevia (use more or less depending on taste and brand)

1/4 Teaspoon of Pumpkin spice or a dash of cinnanom, nutmed, or whatever combo choic you would like to go with your liquid flavoring(optional)

2 Tablespoons Melted Butter

1 Tablespoon Water

dash of Vanilla, almond, coffee, raspberry or whatever flavoring you would like

1 Egg

In a 2 cup Pyrex glass measuring cup, blend all dry ingreadients. Add water, melted butter and egg. Mix Throughly. Cover with plastic wrap and place slits in the center of the wrap. Microwave for 1 minute.(it may take longer, it may take less depending on your microwave. Do 10 sec intervals) When done take out and be careful. It will give you a steam burn if you are not careful. To check if done I dip a knife in the center and if it comes out clean I say its done. I place a small plate on top and flip over onto the plate. Let cool, slice and eat!

I use a 4 cup glass measure and make a quad batch. That takes my microwwave 5-6 min to cook. It will feed the family for a few nights or snacking. I do play with the flavors and spice. It helps with cravings of not having anything cakey at times. This has been a real saver to me. With the holidays approaching it will come in handy.

i know the microwave isnt a great option to use but do as you will with it. I havent yet tried baking it in the oven to see what happens. I will let you all know when I do.

BAked Pears

1 nonsweet pear or baking apple, per person (macintosh, spartan, golden delicious, rome, or other)

optional: cinnamon

optional: dash of sea salt

optional: bit of butter

preheat oven to 375 F. peel and chop the fruit and place in a lightly oiled, low, glass or corningware baking dish. sprinkle w/ cinnamon and extras if desired. bake for 20-30 minutes or until tender throughtout. serve as a side dish or dessert 1-2 times per week (more for children, about 2-5 times per week). keeps refrigerated for 1-3 days; must be reheated to serve.

Coconut Cookies
    mmmmmm these are the result of a bit of experimenting, I think they're delicious!

2 cups aramanth flour
    1 tbsp arrowroot
    1 cup coconut
    1/2 tsp stevia
    1/2 tsp baking powder

Mix all these ingredients together, then add;

1/2 cup melted butter/ghee/substitute
    1 small can(165ml) coconut cream
    1/2 tsp almond essence
    Rice milk

Combine the wet ingredients into the dry mix very well. If needed, add rice milk a little at a time, until ingredients form a 'springy', but not sticky dough.

Roll dough into walnut sized balls and place on a baking tray. Press balls down with a fork or your fingers, until slightly flattened.

Bake at 130 degrees celsius for 30 minutes, or until golden brown and firm to the touch.

Here's a cheese substitute you can use as a spread. L

Pumpkin Seed Cheese
    Filtered Water for soaking seeds
    2 cups raw pumpkin seeds
    1 bunch parsley
    1 Tablespoon of garlic, unpeeled
    1 Tablespoon of minced, ginger
    1 Tablespoon of minced jalapeno
    1 1/2 teaspoons of sea salt
    1/3 cup olive oil
    1/2 cup fresh-squeezed lemon juice

In a container filled with water, soak the pumpkin seeds for at least 15 minutes. Drain the seeds and put them in a food processor (or blender) with the parsely, garlic, ginder, jalapeno, salt, olive oil, and lemon juice. Blend until creamy. Keeps for 2 day in the refrigerator.

16. pepper

pepper New Member

Actually I got the idea from a local Asian restaurant but adapted it tonight. The hardest part is making sure you get the ingredients and have them on hand.

Ingredients:

1.Rice Paper (these are very thin sort of pancakes that you can see through. They are crisp and hard but soften quickly in hot water. I got about 100 of them for $3.99) The package says "For Spring and Imperial Rolls & Egg Rolls and Fajitas

2.Meat (I used leftover pork roast cut into pieces)

3.Vegetables cut for stir fry (I used celery and green onions)

4.Olive Oil

5.Hoisin Sauce

Stir fry the veggies in olive oil. Salt and pepper. Add cooked meat cut up - add the meat earlier if it is raw.

Stir fry until tender and hot.

Take one rice paper and put it in very hot water on a dinner plate until it softens up.

Remove it from the water, place on another plate and put some hoisin sauce on the centre of the rice paper.

Put a little mound of the stir fry mixture on the hoisin sauce.

Fold it up at both ends and the sides to make a little envelope. Eat like an egg roll.

3 or 4 of these after a salad make a great dinner. My DH and I both loved them. And there is no end to the combinations you can make with cooked or raw meat and a variety of veggies.

Hope this helps.
    Pepper
  17. teacher

teacher New Member

I never even THOUGHT about bulk cooking and I used to do it all the TIME when I lived at home! Yeesh! All I can say in self-defense is BRAIN FOG!

Thanks everyone. You've all been most helpful!
    (I'm still copying!)

Have a great evening,
    teacher