Easy healthy food ideas cooked or raw

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by xchocoholic, Jan 6, 2007.

1. xchocoholic

xchocoholic New Member

Easy healthy food ideas cooked or raw 01/03/07 09:34 AM

Hi folks,

I thought I would start a thread on easy to prepare foods for those who are trying to watch their diets and need to get their rest too.

I just discovered the oven bags that you roast whole meats in. I buy a whole organic chicken, rinse it, put it in the bag with S & P, garlic powder, onion salt and paprika and place it in a baking dish .. Bake on 350 degrees for 20 - 30 minutes per pound.

Then take it out and let it cool before transporting it still in the bag to a large plastic container that I will put in the fridge. Ditch the bag ... Then I debone it when I have the time ...

No basting and no clean up. : )

Please share your easy healthy recipes or just quick and easy cooking tips ...

Good eating ... xchocoholic

rice 'n beans, blender veggie soup 01/03/07 10:11 AM

Garbanzos and brown rice

Make brown rice, always use brown instead of just white rice. Rice together with beans makes for a complete protein and you will get all the amino acids you require.

Soak garbanzos, aka chickpeas, in water overnight - about 2 cups. Always soak beans or any "seed" overnight before cooking or eating to remove growth inhibitors which keep the seed a seed and also prevent proper digestion. Never use the same water to cook with.

Saute 1 small onion and a few cloves of garlic in a small amount of coconut or olive oil. When they're soft, add a chopped potato, the chickpeas, enough water to cover and some curry - about 1 tsp. Simmer until the beans are soft and it's no longer watery, like stew. This is incredibly delicious and nutritious. I eat it everyday.

Veggie soup - if you boil together a bunch of veggies, it's alot tastier. I do broccoli, cauliflower, onions, garlic, peppers (red, yellow, green and orange) pumpkin or squash, carrots, celery and leeks. Put in some spices like curry and then when the veggies are soft, let it cool and run it through the blender. I eat with lots of salt, sea salt blends I get from the health food store. I can't eat veggies without salt. This is my new breakfast food. Veggies always taste better mixed; individually, they're yucky!

bon appetite!

Karen - healthy foods 01/03/07 10:43 AM

I bet you and I could fill this up ourselves ... : )

I'll be making your garbanzo beans today ...

How to cook millet, quinoa, buckwheat or brown rice - the directions are on the pkg too, but I find this works every time ... BE sure to rinse quinoa

Place 2 1/2 to 3 cups of water in a medium pot, add salt, cover and bring to a boil.

Add 1 cup grain, stir, cover and turn heat down to medium.

Stir every 1 - 2 minutes at this heat. It will stick and burn quickly. Cook for 5 minutes.

Next turn heat down very low and crack the lid open. Stir again. Cover and cook an additional 10 minutes stirring once or twice.

Next turn the heat off. Stir thoroughly. Cover. At this point it will look soupy.

Let it stand for until you have time to get back to it. The moisture will be absorbed and it will be perfect ...

I always cook extra grains and freeze them. Glad makes small containers that are the perfect size for this.

I eat a lot of millet or quinoa with meat and a veggie mixed in. This morning I had ground buffalo, millet, snap peas, raw green onions, roasted red peppers and EVOO.

For breakfast if you are wanting something sweet, I eat quinoa or millet with pumkin seeds, sunflower seeds and hemp seeds on it. Add cinamon and honey and chunks of raw apple and flax oil.

Hope this helps ... xchocoholic

Hummus - healthy foods 01/03/07 03:09 PM

In food processor, add 1 cup cooked garbanzo beans, 2 raw cloves garlic, tblsp raw onion (I like green), s and p, EVOO. And blend ....

Raw garlic is great for you, but hard on the stomach at first ... so eat sparingly ...

Good Stuff! 01/03/07 03:24 PM

Thanks for posting the healthy food ideas. I have one that I made last night. I found a package at the store of Bob's Redmill Veggie Soup Mix. It is just dried beans and peas and whole wheat pasta etc all mixed in a bag.

I just poored one cup of it into a pot with four cups of water...added a few spices to taste...then simmered for one hour and had some tasty easy soup.

you're right, we're gonna fill it up! 01/03/07 04:44 PM

I'm trying to not be a hog!

Any white fish like grouper, orange or white roughy, tilapia, etc. I used to get what was on sale. Just dice up a carrot (or 2 or 3, it's really yummy with the fish), some onion and garlic and put it in foil with the fish. Sprinkle some curry and whatever other spice you think will go (parsley always looks good on food), wrap it up and put it in the oven at 350 for about 30 minutes or until it's thoroughly cooked.

Healthy foods made easy 01/03/07 05:21 PM

Thanks ... that soup sounds so easy and nutritious.

This thread is working out great ...

I cheat and get my fish frozen from Walmart supercenter. They have wild salmon and wild mahi mahi for a good price ... And it is prepacked into several vacuum sealed pkgs ... They have tilapia too, but it's not wild.

I've never cooked with curry. Can you tell me how much to use and what other spices to use with it ?

Thanks .. xchocoholic

another easy chicken recipe 01/03/07 05:52 PM

Rub a whole chicken with olive oil. Then sprinkle a spicy seasoning over the entire chicken (I was using Emeril's original seasoning, but then got hooked on something called Montreal Grill I think by one of them major spice makers - it is very spicy, on the hot side, but so good).

Place the chicken in a baking pan, cover with foil and cook for 90 minutes at 375, and then uncover and cook for another 30 minutes at the same temperature. It is so good, and so easy --

curry 01/03/07 05:52 PM

Some of my best dishes were with curry but I don't eat them anymore, like fried chicken or shrimp curried salad and coconut curry chicken. Yum! I haven't thought about them in a long time.

Curry is a mix of coriander, turmeric, fenugreek, cloves, ginger, red and black pepper and some other things like maybe garam masala.

I'm sure you've heard of turmeric, that makes it yellow. It can be hot if you use too much, probably no more than 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon for the fish depending on how much fish you have; just give it a light sprinkle, a little goes a long way. After the first time you'll be able to gauge how much you want. It can be powerful, too much will be too hot.

It goes great with onion, garlic, cumin and coconut. I like it with chicken, white seafood and veggies. I put it in just about everything, even potatos. And I usually have some rice with whatever curry dish I'm eating. Since it's already a "mix" of spices, it can carry a whole dish easily. There are a few chinese recipes that have it with beef but I don't use it with red meat.

If you ever just cook chicken, plain, add some curry and it's a whole new treat; you'll never go back to just plain chicken. And it'll make the drippings a great sauce for rice.

Wow, you're in for a whole new solar system of cooking with curry!

If you can eat them and you want the first 2 curry recipes I mentioned, let me know and I'll write them out.

Oh heck, here they are:

Fried chicken or shrimp (we shouldn't be eating this!) curry salad

I don't remember measurements, I don't use them anymore so you'll have to just wing it. Put some flour on a plate, flatten it out and sprinkle it with a little curry. Roll cut up chicken or shrimps in it and fry the pieces until cooked. Put it over lettuce with this sauce:

2 parts mayo
    2 parts EVOO
    1 part dijon mustard
    1 part vinegar
    minced garlic

Coconut curried chicken

Make like you're doing a regular chicken dish with legs and thighs and onion and garlic (or use cut up breasts if you don't want to deal with bones). Get it cooking, add about 1/2-1 tsp curry and when it's almost done, pour in a can of coconut milk and cook it down until it's thick. Taste and adjust seasonings, like maybe more curry, s&p. Serve over rice.

I can't eat these anymore becaue there's too much fat and my liver will explode. But I'm sure someone can use them, they're pretty quick and easy.

Another 01/03/07 07:45 PM

Ok just warning you all that I am vegan so I am not sure if you will like this one or not but here goes.

At whole foods market and some other health food stores they sell baked marinated tofu by white wave. The Italian seasoned one is my favorite. It is already baked and marinated so all you have to do is throw it in a pan for a couple minutes until it is hot.

So here is my meal...

-Heat up the baked marinated tofu in a pan
    -Steam some frozen mixed veggies
    -Boil some small red potatoes and then mash them a little for some mashed red potatoes with the skin which I like.

I like it and it is an easy meal. The longest thing is the potatoes and those only take 15-20 minutes.

Not sure if any of you like tofu though :)

Karen 01/03/07 08:05 PM

I think that you said that none of us should be eating shrimp, but I'm not sure.

I was always of the impression that shrimp wasn't too bad if you removed the vein. Is that not so?

Easy healthy foods 01/03/07 08:31 PM

Thanks for the recipe. These are really going to be helpful.

Can you tell me where to get the Emeril's or Montreal Grill spices ?

I just remembered I found a really good roasted red pepper sauce at a kitchen store once that was great on chicken. I've been trying to recreate it. It was delicious, but $7 for a small jar.

I don't digest fried foods well either, so I use a cast iron pan that has been treated lightly with canola oil. I let it get hot. Then add my meat and brown it a little on the one side. Then add about a 1/4 - 1/2 cup of water to the pan. And turn them to finish cooking.

Cast iron pans are good for iron deficiency.

Yum .. I'm looking forward to the coconut curry chicken ...

Is coconut milk fatty ?

************************************************* *************************************************

Easy healthy recipes 01/03/07 09:01 PM

Thanks for the recipe. For those who can't have soy, they can use any meat.

I thought Karen meant we should not be eating fried foods. But, I'll let her tell us ...

Please keep 'em coming .. xchoc

************************************************** **************************************************

OK, I'll get in on the cookin' action 01/03/07 11:18 PM

For a tasty side dish:

I just love squash, so I also eat this as my main
    dish when I want something fairly quick.

Zucchini or Yellow (crook neck) Squash
    Can of stewed tomatoes
    Dried Onions (optional)or fresh minced
    1/4-1/2 t. minced garlic
    grated cheese

Steam the squash in a pan or steamer
    for no more than 20-30 minutes.
    Steam fresh minced onions with this (optional)
    Mix in a small can of stewed tomatoes
    (Mex or Ital are the best)
    Add onions, garlic (mix slightly)
    Now grate cheese on top and enjoy!

I like to eat this with lightly steamed talapia
    or other type of white fish.

[This Message was Edited on 01/03/2007]

shellfish 01/04/07 04:35 AM

Sorry to leave you hanging, lisa and xchocoholic! I guess I should have said more.

I can't hardly tolerate any fat. The coconut does have some fat, my 12 oz can of leche de coco in the cabinet has 8 grams of fat, 4 of them saturated. That, plus the mayo and EVOO in the sauce PLUS the grease from frying would literally land me in the hospital if I ate it today.

And shrimp, scallops and lobster I used to eat all the time all my life. Now shrimp does seem to make me feel strange. Virtually everything I have read about liver, detox, the immune system and getting healthy says to avoid shellfish. Not just because of it maybe not being cooked all the way which could be dangerous to the liver because of high levels of vitamin A, but because they are bottom feeders and scavengers and eat stuff that isn't healthy. Not once have I read where it was okay if the vein was removed.

I don't want to get too OT, but here's an article by Dr. Mercola about a shrimp study looking for antibiotic-reistant bacteria. I realize some people think he's a nut, but he seems to have himself covered all the time with references. And I laughed like hell at his newsletter video where he went camping and picked up scabies (I love that word, it's too funny!) and he discovered that neem oil will get rid of them. He also says avoid shellfish because of risk of viral and parasite infections, and he doesn't recommend fish at all because of the mercury issue. This article isn't very long:

At the time I wrote that above I really meant not to eat that recipe because of the fat content which would make a tired liver run for cover. But, yeah, I can't find a good reason to eat shellfish other than it's "yummy food". Too bad, I've been shot down in flames again when it comes to diet. I'm getting used to it. But I am going to try my raw sunflower seeds and dates cookie recipe again today because I've got some super digestive enzyme pills. The last time I tried them I sneezed my head off for 2 days but I suspect stomach indigestion and leaky gut let some particles in my bloodstream and stressed the immune system.

Oops, I mentionad another recipe again, but I have to ask Victoria. Plus it's a dehydrator recipe. One day soon we'll do one for dehydrator goodies. If you don't have one, you don't know what you're missing. They are all raw food and totally healthy. Theses cookies have sunflower seeds, apple juice and dates, maybe some honey and vanilla, I can't remember. It's a whole new avenue of "uncooking". You can eat these, they will be just as satisfying as a Snicker's bar, and they will only make you healthier.

OMG, this is way too long, sorry!

Easy healthy recipes 01/04/07 08:02 AM

Thanks for the squash recipe. I love squash, but only have one recipe. Basically the same as yours, just no tomatoes or cheese.

You have a lot of the same digestive issues I did back in 2005. I can relate to you on the fats issue. Especially saturated fats. I actually burp these back up ... TMI ? Movie theater popcorn was the worst ... Try watching a movie with this going on ... ; )

I recently tried adding organic coconut oil to my diet, but it gives me small itchy welts on the side of my face everytime. Too bad since it is supposed to be good for you. I am going to use it topically though.

I am finding that I can digest raw EVOO, flax, borage, grapeseed oil. The healthy oils, go figure ... I get mine from the health food store and try to get organic, unproccessed, etc.

I had trouble at first with these, but since they are really good for you, I kept on trying them. Now, I can handle any amount of these fine. I add them to foods after they are cooked.

Shrimp tastes like dirt to me now. And it is so chewy that it is hard to digest. Bleh !!!

I can't tolerate sunflower seeds very well either. They give me GERD. They are very nutritious so I keep trying though. Have you tried raw pumpkin and raw hemp seeds ? These are easier for me.

When you get the time, I'd like to have your raw sunflower seeds and dates cookie recipe. I'll use pumpkin or hemp seeds...

Have you tried eating fresh papaya, mango or pineapple ? They contain natural digestive enzymes and are very easy to digest. I find that if I eat papaya every week or so, I have less trouble digesting foods. You can also dry the papaya seeds, grind them in a pepper grinder and sprinkle this over your foods. It's a natural digestive enzyme.

Just place them on a baking dish and cook at 250 degrees for 60 - 90 minutes. Let them cool. Get all the papaya meat of of them and then let them dry out completely on a paper towel. They taste a little like pepper.

Please keep the recipes coming. I'm in a food rut.

************************************************ *************************************************

pumpkin seeds! 01/04/07 09:13 AM

OOH OOH OOH, if you like pumpkin seeds, you're gonna LOVE this recipe!

Caesar Salad

1 large bunch spinach or romaine lettuce (I prefer the romaine)
    1/2 cup pumpkin seeds ground (I use a coffee grinder)
    1-2 garlic cloves pressed or minced
    1/2 lemon, juiced
    1/2 -1 tsp dijon mustard
    2 tbsp EVOO
    dash of sea salt
    sprinkle of fresh ground white pepper ( I never have this but it's in the recipe)

Wash and prepare the lettuce. Mix all the other ingredients together and toss with the lettuce. Only mix together the amount of salad and dressing you will eat in any one sitting. The dressing will keep for a few days in the fridge separately, but will not keep if it's already tossed with the spinach or lettuce.
    This is my favorite salad now. Pumpkin seeds are one of the few nuts or seeds I can eat as long as it's just a little.

And I LOVE hemp seeds. I'm going to have to give in and just order a bunch of supplies from the US. Alot of stuff I can't get here. I just ran out of pumpkin seeds and they only have roasted nuts and seeds here, like Planter's.

I can't eat mango, papaya OR pineapple. It's terrible, I love them all and my parents even have a couple of mango trees! I'm going to try the papaya seeds, though.

If you can, get a dehydrator and a couple of raw food recipe books. You'd be amazed what you can make: breads, crackers, cookies, all kinds of desserts and even main entrees and sides.

Here's a couple of my old favorites:

Brazil Nut Wafers

2 cups brazil nuts, soaked overnight
    3 bananas

Put brazil nuts in blender with just enough water to cover. Blend until smooth but don't make too thin. Then blend in bananas and cinnamon to taste. Pour onto dehydrator trays and dehydrate at 95 degrees for 1-2 days. Or use the oven on lowest setting until dry. These don't last long, they're incredibly munchable!

Sunflower and Date Cookies

1 cups sunflower seeds
    6-8 dates
    apple juice
    honey, maybe 1-2 tsp
    vanilla - smidgen

I made this one up so you pretty much have to guess and taste as you go. Grind the nuts and chop up the dates and mix with enough apple juice to have a "dough" and put just enough honey and vanilla so you can barely taste them. Form them into cookie shapes and put in dehydrator for 24 hours or until done. Or you can use the oven on the lowest setting. These are hard to get to stay together, I always crumble a couple trying to get them off the tray.
    But they still taste good!

The recipes can get alot more complicated and interesting than these. You can make stuff like pies and pizzas, too. Most pie crusts are made by mixing almonds and dates in a food processor, pressing it into a pie tin and then dehydrating. And pizza crusts are made by sprouting some grain, usually buckwheat, and dehydrating it. Then for cheese, you substitute "nut cheeses" that are made from nuts like walnuts and pine nuts and spices.

There are at least as many interesting healthy foods as there are unhealthy, you just have to relearn "cooking", or rather, you learn how not to cook.

I have an Excalibur food dehydrator with 5 trays. I use it alot when I'm not having too many food problems, doing sprouted lentils as snack crunchies or nut cookies or dried veggies. Now I'm feeling better, I'm getting out my raw food recipe books and getting Victoria to try all sorts of things. She has an unending supply of energy. I just have to translate everything into Spanish for her, and she does it!

all right, now I'm hungry, going for some sunflower cookies

[This Message was Edited on 01/04/2007]

************************************************ **************************************************

What are s and p and EVOO?? 01/04/07 09:26 AM

I think we are in different parts of the country? Are they regional things?

easy overnight oats 01/04/07 09:30 AM

This works best with steelcut oats. You need 4 things:

a crockpot
    4 cups water
    1 cup steelcut oats
    raisins, whatever amount you like, or omit them. I haven't tried this with other dried fruits yet.

At bedtime, add the ingredients to the crockpot, set it to 'low', go to bed, wake up to lovely, creamy, hot oatmeal, ready to enjoy.

I like to add sweetening, rice dream, chopped walnuts, and a sprinkle of ground flax seeds.

*********************************************** *************************************************

one more comment... 01/04/07 09:36 AM

I find that steaming veggies in the microwave is far easier than on the stove, and results in better tasting vegies that are never mushy, unless you overcook them on purpose.

My microwave oven has a button for fresh veggies and one for frozen veggies. I just tell it how many cups of veggies are in there, and it does the rest.

Also, research (for which I have no references, sorry) has found that microwaved veggies retain more nutrients than those boiled in water on the stove.

I love that others here eat veggies for breakfast too. I don't mention that to too many people, because they look at me like I just sprouted wings or something.

bethm 01/04/07 09:40 AM

I would love to try the oatmeal recipe but I can't tolerate oats!!! It sure looks yummy. I think I'll try anyway and take some extra super duty digestive enzymes and see what happens. Maybe I can get away with it now and then.

EVOO extra virgin olive oil
    s and p salt and pepper

probably just brain fog!

Yum - ceasar salad 01/04/07 09:43 AM

Thanks for the recipe. I can't have dijon mustard just yet. Vinegar is still hard on my stomach. But, I am going to try this with anchovies instead. They have a kick too. And they have omega 3.

Roasted nuts and seeds kill me. Basically if an oil is heated I can't have it.

I'm sorry you can't eat mango, papaya OR pineapple. I actually found that papaya is the easiest to digest.

Have you tried adding these to your diet very slowly ? Like one bite on day 1 and day 4. You are looking for allergic reactions at this point. If not, then 1 bite every day. And gradually increase to 2 bites then 3, etc. You may have to back off and try this food again, but I figure if a food is healthy and I am not reacting to it, then I should try to get it in my diet.

I had to do this with a lot of healthy foods, just to get the nutrients. Actually, I had to do this with most of the foods I eat now. It probably took me ten tries to get tomatoes, garlic and onions back in ..

That brazil nut / banana recipe is right up my alley.

I have to look at getting a dehydrator. It's too hot in Fl right now to heat up the oven. We are in the 80's this week.

Can you send Victoria my way : )

********************************************* **********************************************

Hey, Karen.... 01/04/07 09:45 AM

Ok, silly me! I laughed and laughed when I read your response. I thought you were referring to some exotic regional spice mixture. I love it!

********************************************** ***********************************************

Beth - healthy foods 01/04/07 10:08 AM

"What are s and p and EVOO??"

I could have said that !!! LOL We are so funny here .. And thankfully so forgiving : )

I bet your oats recipe would work for millet, quinoa, buckwheat or brown rice too. yummy !!

Have you tried using a stainless steel steaming tray in a pot with about an inch of water in the bottom of the pot ?
    Target has them and maybe Walmart. Supposedly this is the healthiest way to cook veggies. It is messier though.

I nuke veggies all the time, but I like squash cooked this way since it tends to fall apart.

Make sure the water does not come into contact with the tray ... otherwise you get boiled veggies.

"they look at me like I just sprouted wings"

Ditto, my family does not know what to do with me right now ... Healthy food repels them ... : )

********************************************* **********************************************

EASY 3 day food 01/04/07 10:33 AM

God Bless the SLOW COOKER!

Pork tenderloin tossed in with a can of pineapple rings and its juice, sprinkle some cinnaman on top, I cut a couple carrots in half throw on top----kick back, don't care, done fork tender and eat for 3 days.

Throw in a washed whole chicken, some potato halves and WHATEVER you like to eat---kick back, don't care, fork tender eat for days.

The fastest food means reheat home cooked foods and the initial cooking = no standing but for the couple minutes to throw in the slow cooker.

For RAW FOODS, ah my Blentec 3 horse power blender, I blend avocado pit, organic spinach, organic granny smith apple, sprouted almonds 4 minutes total time prep/make/clean.

These are my secrets to LAZY SUPER NUTRITION!

********************************************** ***********************************************

xchocoholic 01/04/07 10:37 AM

"I bet your oats recipe would work for millet, quinoa, buckwheat or brown rice too. yummy !!"

Aren't you the clever one!! I'll have to try this with different grains. Might be safer for me. When I cook rice on the stove I carry a timer around with me because so many times I've forgotten about it. (and boiling eggs, kettles, etc. I cooked my kettle, and then bought an electric kettle with an 'auto-off' feature. Gotta work with what we have to work with...)

Although seems like quinoa might turn to mush. Won't know til we try.

Have you ever tried cream of rice cereal, but made with whole grain brown rice? The bag I have is made by Bob's Red Mill. Very much comfort food, easy on the digestive system, and good added to oatmeal while it is cooking.

p.s., yes, I have a stainless steel steamer to use on the stovetop, as well as a plastic one for the microwave.

[This Message was Edited on 01/04/2007]

********************************************** **************************************************

portable oven 01/04/07 10:59 AM

The slow cooker stuff reminds me, I bought the convection oven Dr. Mercola has and it's superfast when it comes to cooking. I was buying the whole, organic chickens from Publix when I was still in GA and this thing cooks them perfectly at 10 minutes per pound! They were usually about 4 1/2 pounds. So I set the timer for 50 minutes and it gives a loud ding when it's done and shuts off!

Instead of a bag, I just put in on the rack after rubbing it with coconut oil and whatever bunch of spices I felt like. It will also do "fried chicken" without oil if you batter and spice it and put the pieces on the rack. It's good for reheating things, too, since it gets hot immediately; you don't have to preheat it. It looks like a crockpot almost. It's a big glass bowl and the "oven" fits on top. It has a heater and a fan that blows the hot air downwards. You put it on the counter and plug it in and you can hide it when you don't use it. It was about $100 with shipping but I love it.

I will try the fruits again. I had been dehydrating all of them, then they last awhile. I'll try a tiny bit each day.

And EVOO, when I first saw it, I too thought it was some fancy, natural herbal spice blend from the health food store or something. Some things take awhile to cut through the fog!

Easy healthy meals 01/04/07 11:03 AM

Thanks Linda,

We are getting some good ideas here ...

I've actually never bought a pork tenderloin, but I love pork. Is this a fatty meat or lean ?

Ditto on the slow cooker. I should use mine more often.

Can you tell me what avocado pit and sprouted almonds are ? And how do you eat this? Is this the consistency of guacalmole ?

A kettle with a timer, huh ???? I need one of these ... Can you tell me more ?

You're probably right about the quinoa.

I used to eat cream of rice, but didn't know they had brown rice .. yum .. thanks

Do you like your steamer for the micro ? I haven't tried that yet ... Is this something Walmart, Target carries.

I have some shopping to do ............

Thanks folks .. xchoc

*********************************************** *************************************************

pork/pits 01/04/07 03:02 PM

Pork tenderloin is VERY lean.

Avocado pit, is the seed inside the avocado, I save them after I eat their flesh.

Almonds you soak in water, overnight if you want, then drain and refrigerate. It puffs up and becomes more almondy flavored and sweet. It goes from a dormant seed to a living thing by soaking.

When I use my blender on these it comes out totally liquid, drink through a straw consistency.

********************************************** **************************************************

Avocado pits - nutritional value 01/04/07 03:52 PM

I google avocado pit but couldn't find anything about the value of these. And I'll pretty much eat anything that has a nutritional value. ; ) Can you tell me what is in it ? Do you sprout it ? Are you sure it is safe ?

Cool tip on the almonds .... And by sprouting it you get more nutrients ...

Speaking of sprouts, I find sprouting red lentils, alfafa, and mung beans very easy. I use the mason jar technique.

thanks .. xchocoholic

********************************************* *************************************************

Electric teakettles and other things 01/04/07 04:03 PM

I bought my electric kettle at Bed, Bath and Beyond. It sits on its base on the kitchen countertop, and plugs in. I just fill it and push a button and it heats the water to boiling very quickly. It shuts off after it boils, or when you pick up the kettle from the base. I think it was about $45.00. Mine is a Braun, but there are other brands also available.

I do like my microwave steamer basket. It looks just like the stainless one, only it's made of white plastic. I put it into a glass bowl, add the vegies and a little bit of water, cover it with a glass lid, and microwave it. I'm pretty sure the steamer basket is available pretty much everywhere kitchen supplies are sold. I've seen them at Target, WalMart, Bed, Bath and Beyond, etc.

AVOCADO PITS??? I did not know they are edible???? How in the world would you deal with it, and why would you want to eat it?

For lunch today I heated leftover steamed vegies in the microwave, and sprinkled crumbled goat cheese on top. YUMMY!

Happy eating,

Once more, my 2.5 cents 01/04/07 04:09 PM

When I make veggie soup, I usually use frozen, organically grown veggies. So easy, just dump them into the water or broth in the pot, bring to a simmer and cook until done.

Then I add "Better than Bouillion" to taste, and let the soup stand for awhile for the flavors to settle and blend. It comes in jars, in chicken, beef and vegetable broth flavors. It's like broth cooked down to a paste, very tasty, and not as salty as cubed or dry bouillion.

I know it's sort of cheating, but my hands just won't tolerate all that chopping and cutting. It's also much more motivating to make soup when it's so easy!

********************************************** *************************************************

Coconut muffins 01/04/07 04:34 PM

I do use coconut oil to control candida. I make these muffins and they don't last long around here. I use xylitol and splenda for sweeteners.

Coconut Muffins
    Preheat oven to 350.

Mix dry ingredients together:
    1 cup almond 'flour'(ground almonds)
    1/2 cup flour of choice (I use amaranth--lower starch)
    1 1/2 cup sugar (Or equivelent of sweetener of choice)
    1 cup shredded coconut
    1 tsp. salt
    1 tsp. baking soda
    1/2 tsp. baking powder
    (opt: 1/2 cup cocoa nibs)

Mix wet ingredients together:
    4 eggs
    1 cup coconut oil
    1 tsp. vanilla
    1 tsp. almond extract

Mix wet and dry ingredients together. Put in a 12 muffin pan. (No need to oil if you have non stick type)

Bake 25 minutes. Cool for a couple of minutes before turning out.

Healthy easy meals 01/04/07 04:51 PM

Good luck on the fruits. I am pretty sure papaya is the less acidic of the three and would be the easiest. Raw would have more enzymes too. They make the papaya enzyme tablets from green papayas ... Not that I would go that far. ; )

Linda has me looking into avocado pits. I have 3 avocados in my frig right now ...

I miss cheese. Maybe some day ...

Healthy meals .. 01/04/07 04:57 PM

Can you please tell me where to find "Better than Boullion" ? You don't happen to know if it is gluten free ...

Thanks for the muffin recipe ... I could live off sweets.

"1 cup coconut oil" ????

Is this right ? Yeow !! It is normally 1/4 cup oil in muffins ...

I could use 3/4 cup water adn 1/4 cup oil here though, huh ?

*********************************************** ************************************************** barrowinnovations

Better Than Bouillon, coconut cookies 01/04/07 05:25 PM

Wow, this stuff is great! As soon as Beth mentioned it my mouth started watering! I used to buy the chicken and beef ones at Publix, but they weren't in the same place as the other cheap cubes. They're a little, well, a lot more expensive than the cubes but they're well worth it.

That's it, I've had it with the seasonings here! There are only 2 brands of "chicken broth" here and they're both mostly salt and msg with some chicken fat. Every single Dominican uses them in cooking, I can't stand them. I'm going to order a bunch of the BTB, some gluten free flours, like millet and rice and some other health food store things. And pumpkin seeds!!! And get my friend in GA to send them to me through the cargo mail thing so I won't get reamed on shipping charges.

It's nice to spend less on produce here, though. I get peppers, all colors, at 3 for about $1.30. I remember sometimes at Publix, orange peppers could be $5 each! Which was what the pineapples cost!

All right, here's my next recipe, you guys are making me remember stuff I haven't had for awhile:

Coconut, Macadamia nut and date cookies

Put everything in the food processor, use fresh coconut. If you've never opened a coconut, look online to see how. If you can grate it or something first, it might be easier because I used to have a hard time with it getting stuck in the food processor if the piece was too big. If you have to, put it in a heavy duty freezer ziploc bag, put it on the floor and mash it with a hammer. Pretend it's your last doctor that suggested you see a psychiatrist for cfs/fibro. Make into cookie shapes and dry in dehydrator or oven. Incredible taste!

We're getting quite a selection of good recipes, I want a coconut muffin right now! I'll have to save this page in favorites.

************************************************* ****************************************************

You guys have some great stuff here........ 01/04/07 06:02 PM

I'm taking notes to try a few.

I had a post a long time ago with recipes, I'll see if I can bump it up..........

Healthy cooking 01/04/07 06:20 PM

"Pretend it's your last doctor that suggested you see a psychiatrist for cfs/fibro." I know I can crack a coconut now .. LOL

Thanks for the recipe ..

Thanks for bumping that thread. At this rate though we are all going to need to go on a diet ... LOL

*********************************************** **************************************************

This is a great post 01/04/07 06:43 PM

Keep 'em coming!! My brain has checked out cooking wise right now and I can't think of a thing....hopefully that will change. Come back brain, come back! lol

Vegans - please don't hold back, those of us who don't eat tofu can figure out what to substitute! :)

*********************************************** **************************************************

Here's a treat 01/04/07 07:10 PM

I really enjoy treats but find it hard since im trying to avoid proccessed foods and sugar. But I found this one it is great!!! I make it every couple of days

1 cup - butter
    3 cups - rolled oats
    1 cup -coconut
    2d - Cocoa
    2-3d - honey

Melt butter and honey together I just put it in the microwave. Mix the dry ingredients together then add the melted honey and butter. Then refrigator. It says to roll in to small balls, which is a good idea, but I sometimes just spoon it on to a plate and eat it like that.

It's really tasty!!

Healthy foods 01/04/07 07:23 PM

How about some guacamole since we are going to be eating the pits .... ; )

1 avocado
    1/2 cup chopped parsley
    2 cloves garlic
    1/4 cup chopped onion (green, leeks or red)
    1 med tomatoe chopped
    1 tblsp key lime (or limes or lemons)
    S & P
    1/4 cup fresh cilantro
    1/4 cup grapeseed oil (* high in vitamin E)
    1 tsp jalepeno

Mush avocado well. Add other ingredients.

Parsley is loaded with nutrients ... too many to list.

Cilantro is a good detox. Which reminds me ....

Cilantro Chelation Pesto

4 cloves garlic
    1/3 cup Brazil nuts (selenium)
    1/3 cup sunflower seeds (cysteine)
    1/3 cup pumpkin seeds (zinc, magnesium)
    2 cups packed fresh cilantro (coriander, Chinese parsley) (vitamin A)
    2/3 cup flaxseed oil
    4 tablespoons lemon juice (vitamin C)
    2 tsp dulse powder
    Sea salt to taste

"Process the cilantro and flaxseed oil in a blender until the coriander is chopped. Add the garlic, nuts and seeds, dulse and lemon juice and mix until the mixture is finely blended into a paste. Add a pinch to sea salt to taste and blend again. Store in dark glass jars if possible. It freezes well, so purchase cilantro in season and fill enough jars to last through the year.

Cilantro has been proven to chelate toxic metals from our bodies in a relatively short period of time. Combined with the benefits of the other ingredients, this recipe is a powerful tissue cleanser.

Two teaspoons of this pesto daily for three weeks is purportedly enough to increase the urinary excretion of mercury, lead, and aluminum, thus effectively removing these toxic metals from our bodies. We can consider doing this cleanse for three weeks at least once a year. The pesto is delicious on toast, baked potatoes, and pasta. "

ps . The cilantro chelation info is courtesy of Dr. Omura, but I can't remember where I found this originally. Notice that he says this will clear up infections associated with the herpes virus ... I don't know, I haven't tried it but it looks promising. And good to eat ...

Here is the rest of the article ...

"Dr. Yoshiaki Omura treated several patients for an eye infection called trachoma (granular conjunctivitis), which is caused by the micro-organism Chlamydia trachomatis. Dr. Omura found that the patients' symptoms would initially clear up, only to recur within a few months. He experienced similar difficulties in treating viral-related problems like herpes simplex types I & II and cytomegalovirus infections.

After taking a closer look, Dr. Omura found these organisms seemed to hide and flourish in areas of the body where there were concentrations of heavy metals like mercury, lead, and aluminum. Somehow the organisms were able to use the toxic metals to protect themselves from the medicine. While he was testing for these toxic metals, Dr. Omura discovered that the leaves of the coriander plant (cilantro) could accelerate the excretion of mercury, lead, and aluminum from the body.

Dr. Omura discovered that when cilantro was used concurrently with natural antiviral or antibiotic agents and/or omega-3 fatty acids, the infections could be eliminated for good."

That recipe is just evil ... : ) THANKS

Please keep 'em coming ... xchoc

************************************************* *****************************************************

xchocolic -- 01/04/07 07:32 PM

In my earlier post I said Montreal grill spice, but I think it's actually called Monterey grill spice, something like that, I think it's made by McCormick,

The Monterey grill spice and the Emeril original seasoning spice are both in the spice section of major grocvery stores. You'll see some spice blends and that's where you'll find these.

************************************************* ***************************************************

Meat stock 01/04/07 08:59 PM

This is too easy to make and when the liquid is cooked way down, it can be frozen in ice cube trays for later use. A little winds up going a long way because it's all about the flavor.

Any meat can be used, I just tend to use chicken because the stock is so versatile.

1 cut-up chicken or equivalent amount of boneless, skinless chicken breasts (it's fine to use breasts with skin on because the fat is going to get skimmed off)

onions - however many you like

garlic - however many you like (I use a lot, no vampire problems in this house)

S&P - use half what you think you'll need

any other seasonings you like

oil of choice - grapeseed has a very light flavor. EVOO is good too but you're going to be skimming it off. Coconut oil works, also.

Rough cut the onions or buy them already cut. Leave the skins on, they add flavor. Boneless chicken can be cut up or not. Heat the oil and toss everything in the (big) pot. Stir it around from time to time til it smells browned enough, or you're bored. The seasonings can be added last, then give it another stir to get everything distributed. Add water til the pot is almost full and get it simmering. Cook til the chicken is done.

Take out the chicken and de-bone it after it cools (which is why I use boneless skinless breasts, it's just easier). Let the stock keep simmering, you want it to reduce way, way down. The more it reduces, the stronger the flavor. When you've just got a few inches of stock in the pot, turn it off and let it cool. Don't worry about skimming the fat yet.

When it's cool enough to go in the fridge, pour the stock through a strainer into a container. Half-gallon plastic pitchers work great for this. Stick it in the fridge overnight or til you remember it. The next morning, all the fat will have floated to the top and can very easily be scraped off and tossed. (unless your MIL wants it, send yours to me and I'll see it gets to mine, haha)

Your stock should look like jello, it'll be all jiggly. That's exactly what you want. Spoon it into ice cube trays or freezer zip-locks, even little plastic cups.

Different veggies can be added to the cooking process, just whatever you feel like throwing in there. Usually they're so cooked down by the time the chicken is done that they aren't appealing to me, but by all means feel free to blenderize them or consume them some other way.

This is something you'll want to start earlier in the day to give it plenty of time to cool before it goes into the fridge for the "de-fatting" process.

The same thing can be done for fish stock. This will probably sound disgusting to almost everybody, but fish heads and the bones from filleting fish make great stock. Make friends with your fish monger or one of the full-time fish counter guys at Whole Foods and they'll save however many fish heads you want, just be sure to have a pre-arranged date to pick them up and specify about how many you want.

Actually veggie stock can be made the same way, too, just leave out the meat!

Xchoc - Muffin oil and cilantro 01/04/07 09:04 PM

You can substitute applesauce for most of the oil (maybe even all) for muffins. Easy to make fresh applesauce, just blenderize an apple or two. Might need a little water. You definitely can substitute at least 3/4 cup applesauce for the cup of oil. If it seems too dry, just add a little more applesauce til the consistency seems right. Let us know if you try it with all applesauce and no oil, okay?

Re the cilantro pesto - I almost can't stand cilantro any more having been assaulted by overly-cilantro'd salsas in the past. BUT --- you know how I love garlic, plus the different seeds in it, so I'll get around to giving that one a try. Especially since it can be frozen! Thanks!

************************************************** ***************************************************** BethM

xchocoholic, re: Better than Bouillion 01/04/07 09:16 PM

The better quality markets carry it here (San Francisco Bay area), also more specialty places like Trader Joe's. You probably could find it in the 'healthy foods' type markets too, like Whole Foods. It's worth looking for.

This is really a great post. People's comments are even more fun than the recipes, and those are wonderful.

Avocado Pits 01/05/07 05:13 AM

You could not eat the pits were it not for this high horse power blender. I'll bump the thread OXO Juicing the best OVO that goes into the blender and Dr. Wu.

You wont find nutritional information. I learned this from Dr. Wu.

********************************************* ************************************************

xchocoholic 01/05/07 07:42 AM

I put 1 cup on coconut oil in the muffins because it's my dose for candida, well, it's antibug, so whatever it goes after is fine with me.

Each muffin is ~1 1/2 TBS coconut oil. I'm sure you could cut it to 1/2 cup easy. If you go down to 1/4 cup, I'd add a little coconut milk--say 1/4 cup...

They're like eating macaroons, yummm!

************************************************ ****************************************************

Easy healthy foods 01/05/07 08:06 AM

Thanks. I believe McCormick spices are gluten free too, but I'll have to check.

Thanks, I love meat stock and did not know it was not the same as chicken broth until recently. It has so much more flavor.

Come to think of it, I am getting some stock off the chicken I am cooking in the oven baking bag too. I bet I could just add water to get more stock, hmmm ...

Thanks for the tip about applesauce. The cilantro pesto looks yummy to me too ... And if it can clean out pests, all the better.

Thanks. I'm hoping my local grocery store or health food store will have this. I'll let you know ...

I agree, this is a fun post : ) We certainly have a lively crew here ... LOL

Thanks. Do you think if you sprout the avocado pit it could be pulverized easier ? Most, maybe all, seeds soften when soaked. This would increase it's nutrients too.

Thanks for bumping the juicing post. Nutrient dense foods are fascinating and a whole new arena for me.

Here is my spinach casserole recipe that I can't have anymore .. boo hoo

2 pkgs frozen chopped spinach (Avoid store brands)
    16 oz fat free cottage cheese
    2 cups sharp cheddar cheese (already grated)
    2 eggs
    S & P

Thaw and drain spinach. (Use a strainer to get all the water out). Beat eggs. Mix all ingredients and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour. I used the same container for mixing and cooking. Enjoy.

This cheese and spinach casserole recipe is one that most people who hate spinach love ... Kids will eat it ...

I call this one Lebanese spinach. It is actually the spinach mixture found in Lebanese spinach pies.

1 pkg fresh or frozen spinach (fresh is best)
    1 tblsp to 1/2 cup chopped onion (I like onion)
    1 tblsp fresh lemon juice (must be fresh)
    1 tsp sea salt

Sauteed onions in EVOO until a they are barely limp. Add spinach. Cook fresh until soft. Approximately 2 minutes. Take off heat. Add extra EVOO, lemon juice and salt while still warm.

Tip on lemons. Cut off as much as you want and put the rest in a sealed plastic container for later use. These keep extremely well.

Thank you for all the great recipes and healthy food ideas.
    Please keep them coming ... What about some other veggie ideas ?

[This Message was Edited on 01/12/2007]
  2. Catseye

Catseye Member

Wow, well that was conveniet, wasn't it, all in one place!

I've been on the internet all day researching juicer vs blender and finally decided blender. Komucha likes blenders and I always had read they hurt the nutrients so I took another look today, a real in-depth one. Anyone who cares about juicing or extracting the most out of fruits and veggies may want to take a look at this post by kombucha:

OXO juicing the best way OXO

From what I've read today, if I have cancer or another chronic disease, I want a 3hp blender and then I need to figure out the best things to blend for my body based on what's wrong. I listed the reasons for choosing blender over juicer in that post. Now I understand completely about the avocado pit!

I'm pooped! Too much reading today!

3. xchocoholic

xchocoholic New Member

4. sues1

sues1 New Member

I cooked often by what was on hand. One day I had a large bowl of left over salad. I can not always eat salad, hard to digest at times. I took the bowl by the stove and put chicken broth in a pan and turned the stove on.

This was a sudden idea and I tried it on a whim.

I tossed in a little green pepper and onion, celery, carrots and then a couple of radishes (radishes gets sweet and easy to digest when cooked). Then mushrooms. I let it simmer until done and then I added the lettuce from the salad. I added a little cheese and a couple of sprinkles of bacon bits.

Oh My.....that is Good! It was well recieved. About anything can be made into soup as long as you make the broth good. Could even add a little leftover rice or noodles.....Etc.......

Just use your imagination by what you can eat......Susan
  5. jaltair

jaltair New Member

An easy way to cook and tasteful is to use a slow cooker.

I put any type of meat in it and depending on what I'm in the mood for, whatever spices to give the meat flair. Let it cook slow all day long and add veggies about an hour before din din ... ala, an easy dinner. So versatile!

Also great ... use a chicken and clean well put in slow cooker with mexican herbs an add rice a hour before.

I like slow cookers, especially in the winter and especially for the fragrance of foods and herbs simmering.

For the vega people, just use veggies and cook. I love cabbage and tomatoes simmered for a few hours, yummy! Cook rice separately and put cabbage and tomatoes over the rice.

I rarely use receipes. I like to experiment and do the basics.
  6. xchocoholic

xchocoholic New Member

Sorry it took me so long to get back here ...

I just tried Karen's cesar salad dressing recipe and it is now my favorite ... I had to substitute anchovies for the mustard and add a little water, but it is delicious and creamy ...

yum ... xchoc
  7. xchocoholic

xchocoholic New Member

Thanks for the tip on the blender ...

Soooo, can you please tell us the story behind the avacoda pit ?? ; )

I love this idea ... I throw away too much salad ...

I've never had chicken with Mexican herbs, can you please tell me what you use ? This sounds so good ..

thanks ... xchoc

ps .. I have a feeling that I lost some posts when I was cleaning this up one day and adding the astericks.

My memory is terrible so I have no idea if this happened or if it is just a feeling ... duh ...

If you have the time, would those who contributed put their recipes back ... so sorry ...

Thank you ... xchocoholic

8. Catseye

Catseye Member

Now see, if you had eaten your avocado pit, you may have dispelled some of that braim bog!!

From what I remember reading, the seeds (like the avocado pit) contain tons of important chemicals like phytochemicals and many of them are antioxidants! In fact, the "germination inhibitors" that we soak the seeds and beans to remove are, in some cases at least, antioxidants. I was looking up specific plant studies to find that out. They are supposed to make digestion difficult so we soak them out but I can't figure out HOW they make digestion difficult. Any ideas on that?

And also, there are germination inhibitors in the pulp of fruits to keep the seed from sprouting. And some of them are activated when the seed is dried out. I couldn't find generalizations like these about all plants, I just saw some single studies on certain ones. I guess it would be true for many, though.

Hey Kombucha, how much of the pit do you eat at one time, the whole thing or what? And how does it taste?

9. Catseye

Catseye Member

Rita just made me think of my old salad I used to eat and forgot about. It was lettuce, cucumber, carrots, sprouts, raisins, goat cheese, avocado and crackers, gluten free now, of course.

The dressing: tahini, EVOO, dijon mustard - just a little, garlic, lemon juice, vinegar, touch of soy sauce and stevia.

This stuff is totally healthy and much better than Hidden Valley Skank dressing.

And when I used to do almonds, I used to put about 1/2 cup in the blender (raw, of course), put just enough water to cover, blend until creamy, then add a banana, blend again. Really yummy!!

10. Lynna62

Lynna62 New Member

bumping for sixtyslady

11. hollie9

hollie9 New Member

I was gonna kick off my no grain/no dairy diet today but now looks like I'll have to get some new items first!

Great recipes, really like the lazy nutritious ones.

What is EVOO? How do you cook avocado pits?

When you make guacamole what do you dip into it?

Wonderful thread, thanks,

12. Catseye

Catseye Member

I hope you don't feel as dopey as I did when I found out that EVOO was Extra Virgin Olive Oil!! Don't feel bad, I was heartbroken that I was so foggy!

I think Kombucha was putting the avocado pits in the 3 hp blender. Now I have one and I'll have to try it. But I can't remember if I asked her if she ate the whole thing at once or what. It's just a seed, full of fat and protein, probably. That means if I ate a whole one, I would have to scurry over to the hospital pretty quick, it would be way too much for my liver to handle at once.

If you can, try some flax seed crackers. You can get them at online raw food stores or maybe your local health food store. I have a dehydrator and I make them myself. Or they will at least have gluten free crackers. But don't go overboard on "gluten free". If you're eating alot of grain flours, they are still fattening even if they aren't wheat. Just use them a little as "transition" foods so you don't go crazy cutting out all breads and crackers overnight.

13. xchocoholic

xchocoholic New Member

Hopefully this isn't too hard to make sense out of ...