Easy Protein Bar recipe to die for

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by mbofov, Dec 7, 2011.

1. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I used to buy protein bars regularly but since my sister gave me this recipe, I haven't bought any. The bars are only very slightly sweet, but are to die for. I keep them in the freezer because (a) coconut oil melts at room temperature and (b) it helps keep me out of them! They're high in calories but good calories so in moderation are a great source of protein and energy.

Almond Power Bars (Anne’s recipe)

2 cups raw almonds
    ½ cup flaxseed meal (you can buy flaxseed meal, or just grind up whole flaxseeds in your coffee grinder)
    ½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
    2 scoops whey protein powder
    ½ cup almond butter (I used peanut butter instead - the “natural” kind with just peanuts and salt)
    ½ teaspoon salt
    ½ cup virgin coconut oil (available at health food stores or on-line)
    8 drops liquid stevia or 3/4 tsp. (or to taste)
    1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
    8 squares unsweetened chocolate, melted and sweetened to taste with stevia (or use bittersweet or semisweet chocolate)

Place almonds, flax meal, shredded coconut, whey powder, almond butter and salt in a food processor. Pulse briefly, 10 or 20 seconds.

In a small saucepan, melt coconut oil over very low heat (coconut oil melts at around 76 degrees, so, depending on the weather, you may not need to melt it on the stove). Remove coconut oil from heat and stir in stevia and vanilla.

Add coconut oil mixture to other ingredients in food processor and pulse until mixture forms a coarse paste.

Press mixture into 8 x 8 glass baking dish (lining it with parchment paper will help remove the bars)

Chill in refrigerator one hour, until mixture hardens.

In a double boiler, melt the chocolate, stirring in stevia to taste (*I don't use stevia for this, see below). Spread melted chocolate over the bars; return to refrigerator for 30 minutes, until chocolate hardens. Remove from refrigerator, cut into bars and serve.

*I had trouble getting the chocolate properly sweetened with stevia, it took too much and did not taste good, and next time just used sugar (but used no sugar in the bars themselves). And one time just used semisweet or bittersweet chocolate and that worked great as is.
  2. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

The bars are good without the chocolate, but I love the chocolate on them. I don't eat candy or sweets so it's really a treat for me to have the chocolate on the bars. Of course I use dark chocolate, and not much sugar. Yes, macadamia nut butter sounds almost sinful! Cinnamon hmmmm that sounds good too!