Easy Recipes Please

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by jmq, Aug 3, 2007.

1. jmq

jmq New Member

I just read a post on the Fibro board about what to eat when you are so tierd and in pain that you have little or no energy to shop or cook. Most of us end up eating junk food for quick fixes.

I thought it would be a good idea to ask if anyone would like to share some quick and easy healthy reciepes...maybe some that can be frozen for later meals...or cooked in crockpots...

Any ideas????

2. Alary

Alary Member

Hi, Don't cook too often and when I do I like to keep it simple. :)

Here's a favorite at my house;

1 pound of chicken breasts, already boneless and skinless
    1/2 Cup of Mayo - Light is OK
    1/2 Cup of Ranch Dressing - Light is OK

Spray a baking an with Pam, Or better yet, use Quick Release Aluminum Foil. Arrange the chicken in pan.
    Mix the Ranch and Mayo and spoon it onto the chicken.

Bake at 350 F for about 35 minutes.
    Serve with Minute Rice Brown Rice to be healthy, or white rice. We like it with Stouffers Creamed Spinach, too.

You can make a double batch and freeze it. Makes great left-overs.

Another quick snack it make some easy bean burritos:

Use whole wheat soft tortilla/taco shells to be healthy. Fill them with Frito Lay Bean Dip and pop into the microwave until hot.
    Open them carefully and top with grated cheese and a little sour cream, OK, lettuce and tomato if you have the energy.
    Light versions of cheese and sour cream are good, too. Sometimes I just add a little avocado dip onto them, yummy.
  3. joyfully

joyfully New Member

I've decided to change my middle name to POOPED!

Teh best helper in my kitchen is my crock pot. I purchase stewed meat and a large carton of beef broth. Add fresh or frozen onion. Cover and let it cook overnight.

Add some barley and/or wild rice. I add 2 cans of diced tomatoes, 1 or 2 tsp. sugar, and a couple large bags of frozen veggies. (I tend to use the stir fry veggies, but pick whatever you like.) I also sometimes add an envelope of dehydrated Knorr vegetable soup mix.

Put lid back on and let it just cook slowly. The secret is to make a full pot. I freeze alot of it in plastic containers. When I'm too pooped to cook, I defrost the veggie beef soup. It becomes a one dish meal with very little clean up afterwords.PS.

You can add water if you want to the recipe. My soup tends to be thick like stew. That way, I don't have my hubby standing in front of the refrigerator a couple hours after he has eaten the "soup".[This Message was Edited on 08/04/2007]
  4. jmq

jmq New Member

Thank you all for the good ideas....I have a crock pot but havent had the nerve to test it out yet. I also have one of those George Forman grill that are great to use...but a hassle to clean...once I cook I am usually too pooped to clean a big mess.

Keep the ideas coming!

5. sues1

sues1 New Member

When the meat is cooked, remove, Shortly after that take a dampened paper towel (or more) and lay on the grill and close it. Of course it is turned off and unplugged. When you go to clean it later it is so much easier to clean, the grease and gook pretty much sticks to the towels, even if towel is dried by then.

6. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

that is made from basil in my garden. When I don't feel like cooking, I just cook a package of spaghetti, defrost the pesto, and mix them well. Add a salad and it's a good dinner.
    1 c. packed fresh basil leaves
    1/2 c. fresh parsley
    1/4 t. salt
    1/2 c. Parmesan cheese
    1/4 c. pine nuts or walnuts
    1 to 2 cloves of garlic, quartered
    1/3 c. olive oil
    Place all ingredients in a food processor and process until all is incorporated. Use immediately with 12-16 oz. of hot spaghetti, or freeze and use later.
    Bon appetit!
  7. jmq

jmq New Member

I am so glad I posted this....You guys are wonderful!

Sue1...thank you for the Forman cleaning tip! I would be afraid it would catch on fire...but I will definitely give it a try.

I actually found a great instant soup mix in Publix ( grocery store in Florida ) called Bear Creek. It was a split pea, but they have several kinds. All you do is wisk in water and simmer it for 10 mins. It was delicious! It makes alot so I froze some of it.

Keep those ideas coming!!

8. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

Hi Sues,

Just wanted to tell you that I tried your little trick the other day and it worked really well!! Usually I do a little scraping before sitting down to eat and wiping after I take the food out (after also spraying with Pam first) before putting in the meat or whatever. That way it slides off a little bit easier.

However, with your idea I just have to get my wet towels, I used more than one (very damp but with water sort of pressed out of it) paper towel ready after taking the food out and unplugging and plop it onto the grill and cover.

Those who use this grill know, I am suren not to let it cool down before cleaning or it will REALLY HARD TO CLEAN OR ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE. I like the grill but now they have the kind that you can remove the grill to clean, not the old GF grills.

Thanks again - great tip.

Warm hugs,

[This Message was Edited on 08/10/2007]
  9. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

I forgot to add, afterwards take the dried towels and wipe the grill off. You may need to wipe a little more with another damp towel or sponge, depending on the mess. However,that is still alot easier than the way I was doing it..

I also thnk that using Pam (a little bit) each time will help with the cleaning and stuff won't stick to the grill as much.

Thanks alot Sues1,

10. caffey

caffey New Member

On a good day I cook enough for 2-3 meals(I live alone) and freeze one.
    Tonight I chopped up some tomato, green pepper, green onion, celery mixed in a bowl. Have enough for a side dish for a few nights or throw in an omlette.
    Also buy those frozen mini pizzas and add more toppings.
    Also buy cheese in blocks and cut up in small portions.
    Make hamburgers and freeze them. Then nuke them on a bad day.
    Boil perogies ( they are like a ravioli except stuffed with cheese and potato) drizzle a sweet salad dressing on them. Saute green onions and peppers or leave them raw and sprinkle on top. Drizzle a bit more salad dressing and sprinkle cheese on top and put under the broiler until melted.
    Also else fails keep tv dinners in the freezer or have pizza hut on speed dial.
  11. Alary

Alary Member

Mrs. Tabatchnick's frozen soups are lower in sodium than a lot of canned soups and taste good. They are easy to heat in the microwave, too.
  12. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

I decided I wanted a "different" kind of salad rather the same ole kind.

So.....I bought some salad mix, (the kind already bagged up) you can buy whatever kind you like; they have so many to choose from. I also bought some "snap" peas, NOT "snow" peas.

OK: Mix these together:

Salad Mix
    Snap Peas (cut or break in 1/2 if like)
    Raisins (as many as you like)
    Sunflower Seeds (as many as you like)
    Top with Shredded Cheese (any kind you like) I use Cheddar
    Cut up tomato in the salad if you want to. I do if I have 1

I mix Dukes Mayonnaise with a little ketchup for my dressing but put ONLY enough to wet it a little; don't need too much.

Of course, you may use salad dressing of your choice but this is different.

I really like this salad and you can even add more veggies also; sometimes, I'll add brocolli, carrots. The Snap Peas are new to me and I can eat them alone. They have the little peas inside of them and so, so crunchy.

Thank you for this post; great one!

These recipes look wonderful; may I do another?

Baked Lemon/Pepper Chicken

The number of pieces of chicken, potatoes, carrots depends on how many you will prepare for.

Grease bottom of casserole dish or pan with Extra Virgin Olive Oil, or your choice.

Boneless/Skinless Chicken Breasts (I still clean, wash,dry.
    Sprinkle lemon/pepper on chicken (It's in with spices).
    Peel potatoes, cut in lg. chunks, and spread around on top.
    Peel large, whole carrots, cut in pieces and spread them around on top.
    (I've tried the small, peeled carrots, others better).
    Sprinkle salt and pepper over potatoes and carrots.
    Place pats of butter/margarine over potatoes and carrots.
    Cover with aluminum foil and bake 400 degrees for 1 hour.

Any side: rice, green beans, sweet peas, corn, etc.
    Any bread, if you like bread with your meals.

As for me, all I fix is the dish; that's enough for me.

Thank you all for the recipes; I would like to try some of them.

Thanks, jmq